This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Classical Composers as Tarot Cards

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
JayBee
Seer

Classical Composers as Tarot Cards

Post by JayBee »

Over on the Talk Classical website, someone started a thread I just noticed today, so I thought I'd share.

https://www.talkclassical.com/66238-com ... -card.html
fire cat pickles
Sage

Re: Classical Composers as Tarot Cards

Post by fire cat pickles »

Bach was THE rock star of his day, certainly no Hermit. According to the Bach Reader, he once had a warrant put for his arrest for starting sword fight with someone, someone he had called "a nanny goat bassoonist". In another incident he tore his own wig off and threw it at another organist because he disliked his playing. Bach died from a botched eye operation. The reason? He feared his failing eyesight would prevent him from performing. Does this sound like a Hermit to you?
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

fire cat pickles wrote: 28 May 2020, 21:25 Bach was THE rock star of his day, certainly no Hermit.
I completely agree.

Osvaldo Menegazzi (Il Meneghello) / Tarocco della Musica seems at first glance to have a very astute take on this playful subject.
The deck also draws heavily on operatic themes, which should make it very well rounded.
I don't own the deck, so I have no real idea.

Bach is the Ace of Swords, which seems much more reasonable to me.

Jean-Baptiste Lully as The Devil card?.......well, he may have been a favorite at the court of Louis XIV, but still, it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

That's an interesting list, I wish I knew more about classical music, the genre is a universe unto itself.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
fire cat pickles
Sage

Why wouldn't Niccolò Paganini be the Devil? Do these people know music?
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

fire cat pickles wrote: 28 May 2020, 23:47 Why wouldn't Niccolò Paganini be the Devil? Do these people know music?
why Paganini?, seriously, I haven't a clue.

how about Giuseppe Tartini / "Devil's Trill Sonata"

the legend of the composition is complete nonsense, but it does make for a delicious musical mythology:

https://www.violinist.com/blog/mariog90/200810/9155/
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Here's my take off the top of my head:

I - Bach
II - Hildegard
III - Wieck
IV - Beethoven
V - Palestrina
VI - Tchaikovsky
VII - Liszt
VIII (Justice) - Haydn
IX - Chopin
X - Cage
XI (Strength) - Schumann
XII - Schoenberg
XIII - Mahler
XIV - Feldman
XV - Mussorgsky
XVI - Wagner
XVII - Copland
XVIII - Debussy
XIX - Mozart
XX - Monteverdi
XXI - Stravinsky
Fool - Leonin
I believe in Crystal Light.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Charlie Brown, I love your list and would make only one change: Satie for the Fool. Schumann as Strength is inspired!
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Satie makes a good fool, yes. My thinking behind Leonin is the idea of the Fool's Journey and the first step. Leonin is, after all, pretty much the first person who can rightly be called a composer in the sense that we're using it.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Parzival
Seer

Post by Parzival »

Great list through the major arcana. I think Bach and Beethoven could be switched. Mahler certainly goes with XIII, although there is so much more to his music than that. Debussy for moon (XVIII) and Mozart for sun (XIX)-- absolutely perfect! I just don't know enough about Monteverdi for Judgement.
The World? All the World of Music belongs here--no one composer is The World. Once again, Beethoven comes to mind, could belong there for one demanded choice. All in all, a great exercise Charlie Brown! Thank you for that.
fire cat pickles
Sage

I was thinking Bach for Magician as well!

@Papageno: Paganini (for Devil) was rumored to have sold his soul to the Devil, though.

Haydn was known as "Papa" Haydn (ie, the Pope or Papa) V Hierophant...

What about Stravinsky for Fool? I immediately thought of Petruska.

Brahms for Hermit: The man actually burned his own manuscripts, he was so private. Odd character, that one.

And I wish Oliver Messiaen fit in there somewhere.
SaturnCeleste
Seer

Post by SaturnCeleste »

@Charlie Brown I too love your list!
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Yay! Monteverdi! My absolute favorite and perfect for Judgment!

Why Copeland for the Star? Just curious.

This is a great list, but I don't know all the composers. I'll have to check them out!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”