This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot of Marseille by J. C. Hes (Germany, c. 1750)

Discussions on the history, symbolism and how to read with the The Sola-Busca, Etteilla, Minchiate, Visconti-Sforza, and other decks from the early days of cartomancy. (TdM has it's own forum)
giordanoberti
Seer

Tarot of Marseille by J. C. Hes (Germany, c. 1750)

Post by giordanoberti »

Hello my Tarot friends :)
I'm glad to announce you a new, exciting chapter in the history of the Tarot.

This chapter is strongly related to the so-called "Marsellais Tarot tradition" but is not directly linked to France.
This chapter is linked to the german language countries.

One year ago I decided to reprint a wonderful german deck kept at the British Museum in London.
I bought the licence from The Trustees of the British Museum and I started a historical research on that Tarot tradition.

My research was very difficult because the only news about this deck come from the deck itself:
the signature IOHANN CHRISTOPH HES IN AUGSPURG.
No mention on the date of printing.

I have found any news regarding Mr. Hes, but during my research I collected all news regarding the game of Tarot in german countries from the 16th to the 18th century.
And I was so lucky to find new interesting documents, including paintings and the diary where the famous musician Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote about his passion for the game of Tarot.

My research demonstrate that, after the migration of the Tarot game from Paris to the south-eastern borders of the Kingdom of France, the so-called “Marseillaise” model was soon received in various German-speaking regions.

Observing the Tarot of Hes you can see that the physiognomy of the characters is generally chubby and smiling, while the symbolic elements are exactly those of the Marseilles Tarots.

You can read all these news in the booklet attached to the Tarot of Marseille by J. C. Hes, reprinted by Rinascimento in a limited edition of 900 numbered copies.

The deck is available inside an elegant book-shaped box or in a simple box, both covered with wonderful marbled paper.

With this reprint and the attached historical study, I'm sure to make happy many fans of Tarot history.

You can read other news on the web page of Rinascimento Italian Style Art: rinascimentoitalianartenglish.wordpress.com
Attachments
Tarot Hes Deluxe Box mq.jpg
taro HES varie booklet ENG mq.jpg
Hes Tarot 1750 in Art Box.jpg
Hes Tarot 1750 in Deluxe Box.jpg
Sinister
Seer

Re: Tarot of Marseille by J. C. Hes (Germany, c. 1750)

Post by Sinister »

Fantastic looking historical deck! And interesting to learn that Mozart was an avid player of Tarot.

I was also interested to see that the Emperor card is numbered as "4" instead of "IIII", whereas the other Trumps/Majors have Roman numerals. I think that's also the case with the Payen Marseilles deck, but not usually found on others.

Return to “The Historical Decks”