This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Hi! Which deck to start with?

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Thecuriousone
Seeker

Hi! Which deck to start with?

Post by Thecuriousone »

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to tarot cards after recently receiving a reading from someone and becoming hooked haha.

I have been looking about for a deck of my own but not really sure which one is best for starting out as I obviously dont want something difficult I wont be able to understand.

I am going to pick one of these pre order decks but which one would you recommend for starting with?

Https://www.giftincredible.co.uk/mystical-spiritual
Blissful
Seeker

Re: Hi! Which deck to start with?

Post by Blissful »

A lot of people say a beginner must start with either the classic Rider-Waite (with art by Pamela Colman-Smith) or the Thoth decks, but I don't think that's necessary. Out of the ones on that page to which you linked, I would say either Tarot of the Old Path or the Pre-Raphaelite Tarot. They are both gorgeous to look at and it appears they follow Rider-Waite fairly closely (Old Path being more Pagan), which will make it easy if you will be using guidebooks based on it, but they also have some unique elements and are richly pregnant with symbolism. Oh, and if you like cats, Tarot of the Pagan Cats is pretty great and follows Rider-Waite closely. There are cats in every card, no humans!

So, out of the decks on that page, I recommend for you:
  1. Pre-Raphaelite
  2. Old Path
  3. Pagan Cats
That being said, it's your call. If you Google the names of those decks, there will be lots of results online where you can see more of the cards in each deck. Go with the ones that grab you or appeal to you most!
Natural Mystic Guide
Seer

Post by Natural Mystic Guide »

Welcome to the enthralling world of Tarot.

Deck selection is very subjective. I do recommend beginning with what is known as a 'Rider Waite' clone deck. Terrific resources are available for working with these kinds of decks. I do not recommend a Thoth deck to begin with -- too difficult. If you cannot tell if a deck is a RIder Waite clone, then read a few reviews.

Next, find a place where you can survey representative pictures of many decks. Aeclectic.net has an excellent large gallery of decks that show representative card images and most have reviews, too. Look at the pictures and find something that speaks to you, that makes you happy, that satisfies your sense of aesthetics and also that reflects your world view.

I.E. for me it is important first of all to find a deck that I find beautiful -- I'm going to be spending lots of time with the deck so I want to feel happy when I am using it. Some of the Rider Waite clone decks that I find most beautiful are the Illuminated Tarot by Carol Hertzog and the Star Tarot by Kathy McClelland.

I am also looking for a multicultural deck. As a professional reader, I want a deck with all types of people represented so that people can relate to the deck. I'm looking for a deck that shows 'real' people not fairy tale gorgeous people, but real people of all ages and skin colors and also sexual/gender orientations and spiritual orientations. The Tarot de St. Croix by Lisa St. Croix does a good job with this.

So take the time to look at lots of decks and see which one speaks to your heart. Best wishes and have more fun!
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Thecuriousone wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 15:49 Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to tarot cards after recently receiving a reading from someone and becoming hooked haha.

I have been looking about for a deck of my own but not really sure which one is best for starting out as I obviously dont want something difficult I wont be able to understand.

I am going to pick one of these pre order decks but which one would you recommend for starting with?

Are you sure that page is legit? Also wondering why it's pre-order and not in stock. It's not the greatest range, too. Following on from Blissful's comments, I'd suggest the PreRaphaelite. I don't recommend the Old Path - I have it, and it's very pretty, but I find it a little 'cold' and hard to read at times. It does a slightly different take on some cards.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Ailsaek
Seer

Post by Ailsaek »

archimedes wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 22:19
Thecuriousone wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 15:49 Hi everyone,

Are you sure that page is legit? Also wondering why it's pre-order and not in stock. It's not the greatest range, too. Following on from Blissful's comments, I'd suggest the PreRaphaelite. I don't recommend the Old Path - I have it, and it's very pretty, but I find it a little 'cold' and hard to read at times. It does a slightly different take on some cards.
Yeah, none of those should be pre-orders, they’ve all been out for years.

I second the suggestion to go with a deck you find beautiful. This site: https://www.tarot.com/tarot/decks/morgan-greer lets you look at every card is a number of different decks and has links to where you can buy them. (I had Old Path and didn’t care for it either, but different strokes and all that.)

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”