This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Benebell Wen's Spirit Keeper’s Tarot

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Benebell Wen's Spirit Keeper’s Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

qndynes wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 19:38 Yay! I can get down with an SKT party! :mrgreen: Is there a group here for the deck?
Some time ago, I got a request to set up a study group for the Spirit Keepers Tarot.

It did't really take off but maybe now is a better time for it.

Have a look and tell me what you think. I'm happy to adjust it or do anything to make it easy/fun for everyone to use.

You can see it here

PS. I now see that you've all already found it. ;)
I have to learn to read ahead...
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

It's here! I can't believe it!! It came with the speed of light. I'm used to wait between 10 days and 3 weeks for international mail, and this deck traveled within a week!

I'll post pictures later. My deck is called Benedek - the Blessed One - Bene-dictus, well-said, and that reminds me of Benebell herself.

Wow, I'm in euphoria. What production values, what beauty, I can't wait to dig into this deck. I won't print the Book of Maps, I'll read it on my Kindle which is also how I read Holistic Tarot ;-) it can be done!

Pictures coming soon! (I spent the last few hours watching unboxing videos and eating my jealous little heart out ;-) )

Here's the one I saw before I went to our little post office, open only 4 hours per week:

And here's the real thing.

img_20190619_171110.252.jpg

It found its way into my remote corner of the world!

img_20190619_171159.175.jpg

Oooh, it's packed so well, it's absolutely pristine and perfect!

img_20190619_171240.716.jpg

It's a boy - Benedek!

img_20190619_171333.732.jpg

The beautiful magnet, with a very weak whiff of the anointing oil - so gorgeous, I want to have it before my eyes all the time.

img_20190619_171505.655.jpg

And here they are. A beautiful LWB - and the cards themselves.

img_20190619_171616.853.jpg

Wonderful box, perfect gilding.

img_20190619_171658.181.jpg

I couldn't be happier.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Nemia wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 14:22
It found its way into my remote corner of the world!

I couldn't be happier.
Oh isn't it something?! It just pulls you in. I printed the book of maps first before getting the deck but haven't begun reading it, only the intro. I feel torn! I'm in the midst of reading her Tao of Craft. :roll:
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Ahhh!!! Congratulations!!!!! I got my notification saying it's shipping and will be here in 3 days!!!

Also wow wow wow of course you'd get Benedek ahaha :D That's perfect, also lovely

OOP bye back to work!
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Can you imagine that? James, Benebell's husband, sent me a mail to ask whether my deck arrived, and when I told him that yes, Benedek has found a loving home, he answered so nicely! This has really something so personal, so caring.

And that's important for this deck. I start to understand better Benebell's intentions, her guarding and shielding rituals. This is not simply a tarot deck for fortune telling, self reflection, or therapeutic work - it's a sacral object. Obviously we can use every deck to pray, meditate, ask our guardian angel or a beloved divine being for help or guidance - but the SKT is built for that.

I knew it from my reading and watching Benebell's videos but now that I hold the deck in my hand and read the book of maps, I understand.

I come from a strict Lutheran-Protestant background without any holy objects - a simple cross and the Holy Scriptures, that's enough. I was always fascinated by religions and cults where sacred objects abound - the wayside shrines I saw in Greece but also my native area (Orthodox in Greece, Catholic in our area), and I was fascinated by the Greek religions and other polytheistic pantheons. I have found my way from the iconoclastic beginnings of my childhood religions to a more iconodule, ecletic approach and have a little altar at home - two, to be exact. I have developed a feeling for holy places and objects, for rituals and repetitions and contemplation.

The Spirit Keeper's Tarot fits exactly into this inner world of mine where tarot has played such an important role already.

Btw: Benedek is not only the blessed one but also, of course, Benebell's Deck.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Just look at this.

img_20190621_0902003.625.jpg
img_20190621_0902003.625.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 2853 times

It's a shrine. When you travel, you have your pocket shrine with you.

I can't tell you all how thrilled I am. This is simply the most magical thing I've ever seen - a tarot box that invites you to put it on your altar and fill it with what connects you to the Divine.

img_20190621_090224.197.jpg
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Oh wow! That's amazing!

How synchronous! My partner just gave me some small things from his mom's jewelery box! And they're oddly relevant to my spiritual practice. They're like charms and pins and such. It really did feel odd to see them all collected like that too, personal symbols. I have more too, but I need to finish konmari-ing the kitchen and then my collection of altar knick-knacks so I can feel more intentional and connected to what's on it.

It reminded me of my love for tiny things too. This is so perfect, I'm excited. And since we've rearranged our smallish house (she's perfectly cozy though) my altar size has to shrink back down again. But it's also perfect because it's next to my bed, so when I get up in the morning there's somewhere I can kneel and pray immediately. Which I need haha.

I did also think I could eventually have a grab bag of these symbols as runes or something hehe. Thanks for sharing Nemia 😁

My package hasn't seemed to ship yet. Which is alright because I'm not quite ready yet, and I remember her explaining why that might be before too. I also did a divination using this time method I'm losing my marbles about and asked when the SKT would arrive and it said July 12 - July 22. I'm wondering if it means the Book of Maps (we haven't ordered it yet, but it'll be my birthday present too 😁) because that's a bit far out from expected (but also much earlier than I had originally expected). So I'm excited to find out for 2 reasons now hahaha.

I'm enjoying living vicariously through you all though! I'm hoping to have everything tidy and prepared by the time it arrives. Kinda like if you were expecting an "Angel of the Lord" to visit, haha, to take it back to Sunday school. Also mainly so I have somewhere clean and not cluttered to set it down upon 😅
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I have a question for you lucky people who have your Spirit Keeper's Tarot decks.

I keep hearing about the gorgeous card stock. On her web site, Benebell says it is 350gsm.

That's pretty heavy. I also have heard of a card stock called "350gsm art paper" and I am wondering if that is what she used.

Can any of you explain a little more about what the card stock is like? Is it like other smooth card stock only heavier? Or does it feel more paper-y?

How thick is the deck compared to a "regular" deck?
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I'm no card stock expert but I can tell you that this deck is perfect. It's quite thick and the surface feels like strong, smooth paper, NOT like lamination (Star Tarot, Cathar, Byzantine - all shiney and very smooth) or plasticky (like the Arcana Tarot which shows it's a playing card deck). When the cards move against each other, they make a papery sound. It feels a bit like the Tabula Mundi but the cards don't clump together as they sometimes do with the TM. Maybe because they feel a tiny bit "rougher" to the fingertips than the very smooth TM or also the very smooth but papery Trionfi della Luna.

It's like the Touchstone and Wild Unknown, a heavy, velvety surface, no warp at all. They rest nicely in their box, not too tight - there is no struggle at all to get them out. They fall into your hand and feel warm - no need to "shuffle them warm" or "break them in".

I'm not critical concerning card stock and accept many choices - after all, tastes are different. But this is pretty much ideal.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

I agree with Nemia, and it is exquisite to shuffle. I don't riffle shuffle but my husband, who also has a copy, shuffled it to see if it was flexible, and it shuffled very well, smooth and with no clumping. Overhand shuffling is excellent because each card separates smoothly, unlike other laminated decks.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

My deck is coming today 🤯

I'm not ready. Well, I changed my altar up but I've still got to look at the altar stuff I'm not using. I've got a lot of toys.

It's going to arrive while I'm at work....skreeeeee I can't handle it!!! Let me just call out 🤧 No, no, then the day will go by longer. Hmm .....hmmm...ok. ok.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I got my deck!

I'm on my phone at work haha so I can't say as much but the name....I felt like it was gonna be synchronous and it was. Also, it's not exactly on the Book of Names list. I checked because I wanted to see if I had a twin.

See, the way the first letter is written is ambiguous. I've even compared it to how she regularly wrote those letters by seeing photos others posted with names that started with the letters that it could've been. So it ended up having two possible spellings, possibly three actually, thus two (or three) different names that were both still actual and spiritual names. I wonder if it was on purpose.

So the name that my partner and I both read was synchronous and not in the Book of Names. That name that is in the Book of Names is good too, but not what we had read, and scripted in an ambiguous enough way on the card to be read another way.

Interesting! And very synchronous. Since it's not on the list, I'm going to keep it a secret, hehe.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

You guys totally got to me.

I ordered it today. I'm still waiting for my confirmation and hoping it all goes through okay and isn't already sold out or anything.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Sign up for the newsletter! They had just sent one out saying they had 500 decks left. So you're good! :mrgreen:

Ahahaha we got you 😂 YESS now we will have a Joan Marie who can talk with us about the SKT on this forum 😁
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Joan Marie wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 16:53 You guys totally got to me.

I ordered it today. I'm still waiting for my confirmation and hoping it all goes through okay and isn't already sold out or anything.
Oh it's a special deck, I doubt you'll regret it. On the plus side, you have a deck that will most likely never be available again.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Our work is done :lol:

Every tarot deck is special and carries a part of its creator's soul in it. Benebell Wen is a special soul and has really put everything into this deck. I only started to work with it and recognize what a powerful tool it is.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I ordered the Book of Maps and 22-week workbook thing and MWB this morning :D

My partner was gonna get it for me for my bday so I waited, but I got impatient hahaha so he can get me something else. We're gonna share the MWB and I guess I'll let him look at my Book of Maps....for now :ugeek: (the whole ritual coloring thing makes me want to keep it sorta sacred or something, but I'm sure he'll treat it reverently until he gets his own copy too, especially since he's too busy right now to devote the time to it. He's planning on diving in around January).

I've been....good. Normally I compulsively sort of draw cards, and stuff until the answers get meaningless. Especially if I'm too tired to do much else, or if I'm bored. But I've let it sit on the altar. I hope to do the Key 0 reading tomorrow.

I had already designed a tarot reading ritual while going through Holistic Tarot, and because of a surprisingly impactful deck interview with Britt's 3rd Eye tarot that ended up being a mini ritual through a series of unusual inconveniences. :lol: So, I'll try and follow that after clearing my desk.

We're still cleaning house, and I've ordered myrrh and a specific frankincense and oil from my country through etsy, and we're puzzling over how to make the holy anointing oil with galangal powder (or checking out the nearest asian market to see if they have it fresh) and trying to figure out proportions and prices.....

I'm also unexpectedly travelling to Ethiopia for 2 weeks in July. :shock: Family/legal stuff. It was easy to get off work too. I'm just worried about rent, but everyone around me is saying "do it!" and my partner and mom will probably help with rent and such. I'm still surprised though. I've never left the country before. I'd planned on it a few years back, so I do have a passport though. So weird.

I'd also been doing offerings more lately, and I feel like everything is going more smoothly. So, that's nice. Sort of a weird start for my incoming hermit year. I guess my only Virgo placement is Jupiter though?

Somehow I feel like this ties in to the Book of Maps but I don't know how. (maps? haha - ooh, fiction writing? interesting)

Also, I hate lemongrass. But the oil smelled amazing! I think it was the cinnamon? It smelled like a sort of fresh or wheaty meadow or something to me. I flipped the plastic and rubbed it on the box even haha.

And wow that mirror finish gilding. Like, I love gold. Silver is alright, but gold is where it's at to me. And it's so beautiful against that dark umber backing. How gorgeous. And I'm so surprised by the cardstock. I'd watched my partner unbox his first because it made me so happy (probably the best present I've gotten someone) and when I heard that paper-y sound I was shocked. They look kind of like pucks to me (in a good way) but they sound like ....paper shuffling, books rustling. The librarian in my soul is freaking out haha. What a solid deck, physically and energetically speaking. Absolutely radiant.

Another thing that was odd, and probably very specific to me, was I felt my shadow self sort of bubbling up in weird ways. In positive and negative feeling ways. My partner and I both individually got emotional looking at the Initiate card. I didn't understand why he seemed teary eyed until I saw my own and felt it too. We stared at it each for a while. There were a couple cards that had me feeling touched and moved in ways I didn't understand as well. I almost thought I would cry once. Then there were some negative feelings that would pop up, and that was interesting too. My more critical and nagging and perfectionist side for one. I'd been thinking ...lately.. that I have such a negative outlook, and that I needed to cultivate gratitude. I'd been feeling that too and have been trying and getting better (kind of ties in to the deck name too, and a ceremony I'd done with my partner early this month).

I really love the Archangel of Glory (King of Wands). I knew before too, but yeah, really love him/her/them. And one of the few angels I bothered learning about was Uriel, after a roommate had a dream where I featured (amongst others) wielding a flaming sword. And there's a lot I relate to in terms of the fire element and warm light (like fireflies and oil lamps) and creativity and stuff. Also one of the deities I work with is Apollo, and I found him in a pretty dramatic and overt way. There's just a lot there.

Alright, that's enough from me. It's late here. Thanks for geeking out here everyone. It's been fun reading everyone's responses and squee-ing. It's been a great party :mrgreen: (and it's not over of course, we've got folks still getting their decks and all hehe)

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”