This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Alice in Wonderland tarots

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Nemia
Sage

Alice in Wonderland tarots

Post by Nemia »

There are at least three tarot decks following Alice and the White Rabbit into Wonderland, isn't that intriguing? (Just have a look at the many many different movies and TV films inspired by the books... I didn't know there were so many)

I think the first was the Wonderland Tarot, by now available in a tin. (It's the only one of the three that I own, and I love it).
The delightful artwork by Morgana Abbey pays homage to the hand-drawn Victorian style of Sir John Tenniel, illustrator of the first edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
I really like this graphic style.

2017 12 11 six of flamingos spades swords.jpg

In some cards, the RWS tradition is hinted at, in others, it's followed very closely.

2017 12 15  magician card.jpg

One might argue that Colman-Smith is one of Tenniel's heirs - the glorious tradition of British illustrators and graphic artists. That makes this deck visually so appealing to me, it feels somehow authentic - as if Lewis Carroll might have imagined a tarot deck to look and feel like.

The Baba Studio Alice in Wonderland deck is sold out and looks very beautiful.

baba studio alice-10-cards-set-spread.jpeg

The photography-based computer graphics compare to the linear drawings of the earlier deck like a live-action movie to the original drawings. You can really get lost in this world, it seems so accessible... but sadly it isn't, at least not for me. Does anyone have this deck? How does it read? How do the worlds of Wonderland and tarot meet?

(An in-depth review with great pictures can be found here)

The newest version, Tarot in Wonderland by Barbara Moore and Eugene Smith, is another computer graphic deck, but in a different style from the Baba deck. I'm totally intrigued by it and I'm sure Barbara Moore's book is worth reading. She's such good tarot writer, knowledgeable and warm and always interesting.

moore wonderland2.jpg

I'd love to compare how these three different decks approach Wonderland and how they use the different symbols. Which figures appear as majors, which scenes as minors, how the symbols and the cards themselves appear...

moore wonderland.jpg
moore wonderland.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

Does anyone have more than one of these decks? I guess the new deck will be one of my purchases in the future... what a pity the Baba deck won't be available again!
litefoot13
Sybil

Re: Alice in Wonderland tarots

Post by litefoot13 »

I have the one in the tin!

I collect Wonderland books and pictures, so I jumped at the chance to get a tarot deck. x3
They'll make for a lovely display piece - it didn't speak to me at all for doing any actual reading.

I laughed at how all the suits were changed to story appropriate ones, and...paaart of them actually made sense?

Ooh, that new one looks like its lovely, I might need to look into getting it.
I go by Arie. :3
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

If you want to be really and truly enabled, read Benebell Wen's review :-)

I tried my wonderland in a tin only as deck of the week for one-card daily readings, and that was okay. I wonder how it does in full readings...
Sorceress Vibes
Seer

Post by Sorceress Vibes »

Hello! I heard that the Baba Studios Alice deck will be released in 2020. So, it's a bit of a wait, but you can get it eventually!

I'm intrigued by all these decks too. There's also an Oracle on pre order on Amazon by the artist who did the Good Tarot, I think. *edit: nope, it's by Lucy Cavendish*

I don't have any yet, but I will get the Barbara Moore one and I'm reading Alice in Wonderland again in preparation 😄
velvetina
Seer

Post by velvetina »

I've got the Wonderland deck by Christopher and Morgana Abbey - I love it!

It's perfect for reading by the fireside, on a little table, with tea and toast. I like to use it for potentially difficult conversations - such as when someone is thinking of an affair, or regretting the passing of a difficult parent.
The images may seem trite, but under the right circumstances, for the right person, they act as a subtle, gentle nudge towards understanding.

I think its because of the association with childhood and also because 'Alice' may have been many children's first experience with the odd, the strange. It's not quite like a classic fairy tale, where the hero triumphs and the villain loses. Things in Wonderland, and the ever so slightly disturbing Tenniel illustrations, are unsettling, just as life can be.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

There's also the Dame Darcy deck, Queen Alice Tarot. https://www.etsy.com/listing/629088395/ ... wonderland#

I really like their Magician
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh, I didn't know Dame Darcy made another deck! I like her style.
Anesidora
Seer

Post by Anesidora »

>You can really get lost in this world, it seems so accessible... but sadly it isn't, at least not for me. Does anyone have this deck? How does it read? How do the worlds of Wonderland and tarot meet?

Not to be too much of an enabler, but the deck reads beautifully. You will certainly need to know a bit of AiW lore to be able to fully grasp some of the cards, but the art style is beautiful. The guidebook is pretty handy but imo you wont really need it. Out of all the Alice decks, I think this one stays true to both Wonderland and the tarot, whereas the other two are more focused on being a tarot deck than capturing the essence of Wonderland, if that makes sense. I also really enjoyed the two versions of the Lovers card since one can be used for more platonic love while the other can be used to indicate romantic love.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

I only have the one from Baba. And in case anyone missed this, the second edition is available. https://baba-store.com/collections/all-tarot-books-1

I haven't purchased yet, since I already have the first edition and I understand they didn't change much. Does anyone have both? What are the differences?

The companion book is excellent, as always. And if you really want to deep dive into any Alice-themed deck, get this!
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive edition
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

katrinka wrote: 12 May 2019, 20:58 I only have the one from Baba. And in case anyone missed this, the second edition is available. https://baba-store.com/collections/all-tarot-books-1

I haven't purchased yet, since I already have the first edition and I understand they didn't change much. Does anyone have both? What are the differences?

The companion book is excellent, as always. And if you really want to deep dive into any Alice-themed deck, get this!
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive edition
I'm actually interested in this now after hearing Supportive Tarot's review on YouTube. I'm not normally into photo manipulation because it makes me feel weird and off, but I do love fan created things that strictly abide by the literary canon. 😄 The book looks incredible too.

I think she said the foil stamping thing was more subtle, but that's all I'm aware of. I'm sure there are other differences, probably minor.

God it's an expensive set though. Hoping to get it around Christmas if they still have it. It's the sort of expensive that's prohibitive enough to be an immediate "oh well" hahaha instead of a desperate pining. I'm glad that I'm not enamored with the art from this distance (it's highly skilled and creative and beautiful but not normally my thing, is what I mean). I still want it though aiiee.

That and the Tyldwick. Someday~
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Genna
Seer

Post by Genna »

I have the Wonderland Tarot in a tin and The Baba Alice and I love them. Actually Baba Alice is my favourite deck. It reads like a dream. I love both, but especially that of Baba Alice captures Wonderland. Moore´s Tarot in Wonderland is one I wish to own, but I don´t like all of the art, especially not Alice. She doesn´t look like "my" Alice at all. I like some of the art like the Caterpiller as Magician and I would like to read the book, but I range them like this; 1 Baba Alice .2 Wonderland 3. Tarot in Wonderland (although I have only looked at some unpackings).

I don´t agree with all they say about Lewis Carrol in the Baba book but recommend the book anyway. For more on Alice Liddell and Lewis Carrol/Charles Dodgeson read "The Story of Alice in her Oxford Wonderland" by Christina Björk. I agree with katrinka that "the Annotated Alice" is great!
PhoenixRose
Seeker

Post by PhoenixRose »

A couple weeks ago I just got my first Alice deck, the Wonderland Tarot (in the tin). I am enjoying it as I LOVE the stories Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I felt I needed to brush up on the events in the stories to give added depth when reading with this deck.
I did a couple 3-card readings with this deck and to be honest, not sure I would use it in any professional level readings for clients.

Some of the other Alice decks look awesome. However, I may get as being a fan of Wonderland rather than using the decks for readings.
Genna
Seer

Post by Genna »

This is really OOT, but there is a nice Alice in Wonderland Oracle by Lucy Cavendish illustrated by Jasmine Becket-Griffith. It began with Lucy Cavendish reading a little of Alice in Wonderland each day during a trip to Japan. It is not a Tarot, but it is nice because the pictures were painted for the meaning of the card. I like mine. Maybe something to use after a reading with an Alice Tarot. I would much rather have a true Alice Tarot than this deck, but it is nice as an extra.

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”