This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What's your ancestry? What country/region do you come from?

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
jaq
Sage

What's your ancestry? What country/region do you come from?

Post by jaq »

I live in Canada, where we now acknowledge in many events that we live on the traditional lands of Indigenous peoples who, if we are not Indigenous, have been there before us for thousands of years. In one of the workshops introducing us to why and how to do that, we were asked a powerful question:

In order to understand better the idea of ancestry and home territories, let's find out - where do YOU come from? Where are YOUR ancestors from? How do you relate to YOUR homeland and the one of your ancestors?

And I'd like to add the question: how does that connect with the Tarot?

Being asked this question was a deep, meaningful spiritual moment for me. My ancestors, known and unknown, are important to me. The earth that holds me up is important to me, and always was, so what about the earth that held me as a child?

I was born in Germany, with my mother's family always having their roots in Germany, and my father's family being lesser noblewomen and men of the Baltics/Germany/Russia. I grew up in Munich, in view of the Alps, and spent a lot of my childhood in the foothills of the Alps, among rolling hills, valleys, wild streams and rivers, and in view of the lower mountains of that mountainous region of Central Europe. The scent of the wind blowing over an Alpine meadow full of buttercups, the sound of cows mooing and the view of the sun blazing a mountain face just before setting - they are in my DNA.

And the Tarot?

One of my favourite decks is the Daughters Of The Moon. It's a feminist deck, and I think my mother, my immediate female ancestor, would have loved it. Unfortunately, once I got really deep into Tarot, she was not capable of having conversations about it anymore. I wonder whether I never showed her Tarot cards anyway? Hm. And the other thing is that this deck connects with nature in a way that really speaks to me. Here is the Maiden (Page) of Pentacles - one of my favourite cards in any event. Here it depicts a very European image - and it stands for virgo, my mother's birth sign.
daughters of the moon maiden of pentacles.jpg
daughters of the moon maiden of pentacles.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 471 times

What about you? What's your story of your ancestors and your land? How does it relate to the Tarot?
jaq
Sage

Re: What's your ancestry? What country/region do you come from?

Post by jaq »

Bumping this topic to see whether anyone may be interested.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”