This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Botanical decks

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Nemia
Sage

Botanical decks

Post by Nemia »

For years, there was only the Herbal Tarot, as far as I'm aware, and it seemed to me like an RWS clone with some herbs added for good measure. I confess it never really attracted me... and looking at AT list of such decks, most of them seem to me not very well known and I can't say anything about them.

But lately, there are some decks that have not only spectularly high esthetic value but seem to take the relationship between the tarot structure and the world of plants into new directions.

I can't say much about them since I don't have any of them, but just have a look:

The Tarot of Plants

Jonasa Jaus

Tarot Leaves

Pythia Botanica Oracle deck

And there are many more.

Who has any of these decks, works with them and can tell me more about them? They're so beautiful. And I didn't even start thinking about flower-themed decks...
Amoroso
Sage

Re: Botanical decks

Post by Amoroso »

There are some plant decks that were not included in the AT lists, like mainstream ones such as the Hedgewitch Botanical Oracle and The Celtic Tree Oracle and obscure ones like the Soulflower Plant Spirit Oracle Deck and the Plant Ally Cards.

Aeclectic doesn't update their deck archive as much as they used to. Its New Tarot Decks list is just a connection of links that connect to the corresponding Amazon page. It seems like it no longer has a dedicated site page for each new deck unlike before.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Amoroso wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 14:17 Aeclectic doesn't update their deck archive as much as they used to. Its New Tarot Decks list is just a connection of links that connect to the corresponding Amazon page. It seems like it no longer has a dedicated site page for each new deck unlike before.
I just made a quick perusal through the AT "What's New" section and it seems to me (I emphasise "seems") that there are loads of new decks that are not on that list. My impression is that there are no new additions being made. And I think it was pretty clear when AT closed that it was truly closed. It remains only open as an archive and nothing new is added. I can't say if the "What's New" list existed before they closed and was always just a list of decks that had not been added to the official deck list, but it kind of seems like that to me.

I believe their archive list of decks is unmatched anywhere on the internet. However, we have a (albeit very small right now) List of Decks here on Cult of Tarot and it is very possible that we can take on the task started at AT and focus on adding the decks that don't appear there, the new ones coming out, and that have come out since the close of AT.

We already have several that don't appear on the AT list. For some I have contacted people who had successful Kickstarters and ask if I can post their decks and they invariably give me permission.

With a bit of help from everyone, I think we could really build an interesting and current list of new decks as they become available.

(I apologise for derailing the conversation here. It was about Botanical decks.🌿🌴🌱)
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Yeah, looking at their What's New list, there are a lot of recent decks that weren't covered, like the Grande Luxe, Delta Enduring, Rana George Lenormand, Next World, Before Tarot, Bianco Nero, Haunted House, TV Series, just to name a few. Some that were included there like the Santa Muerte and Smith-Waite Borderless are just Amazon links, so they don't keep images in their site. Many of the card images there look low-resolution especially when compared to those that you displayed in your Samples of Cards thread.
Joan Marie wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 14:38 With a bit of help from everyone, I think we could really build an interesting and current list of new decks as they become available.
Curious about how we can help you do this. We can discuss it in a new thread, announcement, etc if you prefer.
Start strong
End stronger
RavenOfSummer
Seer

Post by RavenOfSummer »

Nice thread, I love botanical decks!! <3 I completed a year-long herbal medicine apprenticeship earlier this year, and working with plants on both a physical and an energetic level is an important part of my practice. Also as many of you know, I walk a Druidic spiritual path, and building relationships with plants and especially trees is a big part of that.

Of the ones mentioned so far, I have the Tarot of Plants (new moon edition) and the Soulflower Oracle. I just got Tarot of Plants recently and haven't worked with it yet, but plan to delve into it over the winter months. I love the Soulflower Oracle and also regularly work with the flower intention tattoos by the same creator.

I recently got the Flora Oracle that I'd been pining after for months and I am SO IN LOVE WITH THIS DECK. This is a deck featuring magical plants, and it's so powerful in it's simplicity. I just love the art- it seems to really capture the essence of these magical plants. Also, the creator is lovely.

I also have the Wild Medicine Herbal deck, which isn't really an oracle but can be used as one if you close your eyes. This is another one I love the art of.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Cracked Amethyst is going to release the Bottanical Tarot next year, probably via crowdfunding. The images look good, with a modern aesthetic reminiscent of the Silicon Dawn and Ostara.
Start strong
End stronger

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”