This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Mamluk cards

Discussions on the history, symbolism and how to read with the The Sola-Busca, Etteilla, Minchiate, Visconti-Sforza, and other decks from the early days of cartomancy. (TdM has it's own forum)
trzes
Seeker

Mamluk cards

Post by trzes »

The mamluk pattern of playing cards is in a way the mother of all European playing cards. The most elaborate example is the so called Topkapi deck, located in the Topkapi museum in Istanbul. This deck is from ca 1500 and was created under the mamluk dynasty in Egypt. I have set up a website about this deck a while back (http://mamluk.spiorad.net) containing some information about this deck.

I also spent quite some time making a modern reconstruction of this deck. Today I finally completed the design of these cards.

(not quite sure if this is the correct section of the forum to post. If not, mods please move it to where it belongs. Thank you.)
Nemia
Sage

Re: Mamluk cards

Post by Nemia »

How wonderful!!! I have always been interested in the Mamluk cards and I'm totally excited about your reconstruction! That's unique, isn't it? I'll keep an eye on your cards. They are SO beautiful. Your site looks great, too.
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Thanks for your warm words! In terms of being unique I have to say that there are several other cards projects around dealing with the mamluk patterns. I try to be distinct at least by staying as close as possible to the original Topapi deck.

Here is the link to the old ATF thread about my project (the thread started in 2013): https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=205351

There is now a facebook page about my project as well: https://www.facebook.com/Trzes-art-792312557637618/
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Thank you for the links! Fascinating. Your style of reconstruction reminds me a bit of Yoav Ben Dov's work on the Conver - restoring it to clarity that makes the underlying logic visible. Or is that a totally wrong impression?

What a long incubation process yours has been :-) Please keep us updated. I have sent you a mail, too, to be on the mailing list.

Did you see the deck creator board on this forum? You can share your experiences there.

And I think I'll have to open a Facebook account! So much tarot and cartomancy content seems to be concentrating there...
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

I have been following your reconstruction since you first announced it, congratulations on its completion and kudos for all your hard work!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

An incredible amount of dedication and work with a beautiful result. Congratulations trzes, you've made something very special.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Many thanks again, Nemia. KoyDeli and Pen for your friendly feedback.

Nemia, the comparison with Yoav Ben Dov is definitely flattering, as for me his Conver reconstruction is one of the finest I have seen (together with the one by Pablo Robledo). However I do not dare to compare myself with him. He actually redrew the whole deck by hand (even if he might have used a computer pen) which makes him a real artist. In comparison I only provided a sort of engineering drawing. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am not pleased with my work. It's just that there is stll a long way ahead of me until I might some time play in Ben Dov's or Robledo's league. And yes, what I admire about Ben Dov, Robledo and others is similar to what I tried to achieve with my deck: extracting the logic and design principles and bringing to light the essence of the original deck.
BlueToy
Seeker

Post by BlueToy »

Trzes! I have been looking for you and your deck since AT closed down! (This is Lynyrd, blue_fusion in AT) I am glad to see you here, and that you will be publishing your deck soon. I have to second Nemia's kudos to you and your dedication. It looks great!

- Ly
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

The website is totally fascinating, especiallly the reconstruction part. The sample cards are very beautiful. Look forward to seeing this deck fully realised.
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Another lot of thanks, BlueToy and CharlotteK for your nice comments :)

Ly, nice to see you again! I have taken the opportunity to take a break from social media after AT had closed down, although I kept missing the talk about tarot and all the off-topic stuff. But that's how I managed to finally complete my deck. Sooo you now that it will be your turn soon to come up with a mamluk style deck, right? :mrgreen:
shimmering
Seer

Post by shimmering »

Excellent! Glad to see you've finished.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

wow! i am totally awed by the work you have done reconstructing this deck..... incredible! i have put in on the top of my wishlist....! i own a lot of reconstructed historical decks but this one is truly extraordinary, stunning.... you have indeed followed the originals closely, it looks and feels very arabic to me, reminds me of the awe i felt when visiting the alhambra in granada.
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Thanks again (belatedly), shimmering and stronglove for your positive comments.

I am now getting the first quotes from printers. All seems to depend on how many cards fit on a print sheet. That apparently makes a print in the original size of the cards (92 x 250 mm) impossible at a reasonable price. With card size 71 x 190 mm, 75% of the orignial size however, I hope to keep the price within an affordable range, which for me means no more or rather less than 50 Euros per deck on kickstarter.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Trzes,

Your work is stunning! Congratulations on a remarkable achievement!

Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Belated thanks, BreathingSince72, for your feedback :)

Some news about my project: I have received proof prints from two printing companies. Both delivered good results and offered reasonable pricing. That means I can offer the mamluk deck for 38 Euros plus shipping in my upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

I am thinking about a "de luxe" editon of the deck too, on posh art paper, entirely hand made (self printed, self cut, self treated surface by french card maker Agnes Kappler). The art paper has a rough surface, is very thick and incredibly soft and bendy. The look and feel is incredible, the way it resembles ancient cards. Big downside: At the current pricing I'll have to take 250 Euros per deck plus shipping to cover my costs, provided there is no trouble with VAT between France and Germany.

There will be poster prints of single cards available as well.

The start of the campaign is still scheduled for early September. I will post here again as soon as the campaign is on.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

thanks for the update! will start saving money immediately.... :D :D :D
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

These will be wonderful! Congratulations again for your accomplishment.
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

trzes wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:40 The start of the campaign is still scheduled for early September. I will post here again as soon as the campaign is on.
And we will be happy to promote it here on the forum.
I will add it to the "Live Crowdfunding Campaigns" highlight box.

Your dedication to preserving tarot history and this art specifically is notable and appreciated.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

Thank you Joan Marie and BreathingSince72 for your nice comments again. Being in the highlight box would be great.

The "official" post with the campaign info will follow in a minute. On other forums Kickstarter tries to embed the link into a preview which doesn't seem to work too well. Just in case, here is the slightly obfuscated link :https:// www.kickstarter.com /projects/119783014/trzes-mamluk-deck (just remove the blanks)
trzes
Seeker

Post by trzes »

The Kickstarter Campaign to fund the print run of my reconstruction of the Topkapi deck of Mamluk cards is now online: . The campaign is about the "standard" edition of the deck, measuring 71x190 mm, printed on professional cardstock used for playing cards.

The luxurious and mainly hand-crafted "antique-style" edition (limited to 20 decks, 92x250 mm, printed on 3-layered art paper with traditional soap and wax surface treatment) is also open for preorders at: https://kartograme.shop/products/trzes- ... ue-edition . Printing and delivery will take two months. Decks will be sold via Kartograme exclusively until all the 20 copies are gone (if ever).

The pledge for the standard edition at Kickstarter is 38 Euros plus Shipping (9 Euros worldwide). The preorder price for the antique-style edition is 265 Euros with a plain hardcover box and 295 Euros with a deluxe box. Shipping is free, I think, until the end of the Kickstarter campaign, and will be 12 Euros from then on. The prices will otherwise stay the same.

Remaining decks from the standard edition print run will be sold from January next year, again at the same price as on Kickstarter. That means there is no point waiting 

More information on my website: http://mamluk.spiorad.net/shop.htm .
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

thanks for the update, i just backed it! so happy to be buying a deck produced in europe! low shipping costs and no extra custom fees!
and the deck has a reasonable price as well. and it looks gorgeous! really looking forward to it!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

This article in Tarot Heritage is about this beautiful deck.

The Marmluk Deck is available for sale now. Such a reasonable price too. A really remarkable addition to Tarot Art.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “The Historical Decks”