This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

?s for Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
Sage

?s for Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown »

The doctor is in - 5¢ please

I'm in California, so Pacific time. I should be able to check on most mornings and get to it that day. For immediate answers, posting at about 4pm is probably best. We could also arrange something specific by PM, I'm sure.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: ?s for Charlie Brown

Post by Rachelcat »

Hi! Here's a very mundane question! WHEN WHEN WHEN will I be able to get my hair cut? I've gone from looking like I'm wearing a silver football helmet to just plain looking like a shaggy dog! I know everyone's in the same boat, but it's getting to me!

Thanks!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Hey Charlie,

I’m taking leave from work for childcare purposes. I just filed for unemployment per the COVID allowances in my state and I’m wondering if I have a long wait until my application is processed.

Thanks!
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Merrick wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:18 Hey Charlie,

I’m taking leave from work for childcare purposes. I just filed for unemployment per the COVID allowances in my state and I’m wondering if I have a long wait until my application is processed.

Thanks!
Well, yes/no with the tarot is always a trick. First, I rephrased your question to say "Will the application be processed quickly?" I did this so that a positive card would correspond to the answer that you wanted. If I had asked if you would have a long wait, would, say, The Star mean YES, long wait or YES, good times?

Unfortunately I drew the Fool. I felt that was probably not a good result...he's wandering off to nowhere. I drew a pip to cover and got the 7 of Cups, also not a great card in my book. I worry that this it's going to take quite awhile and cause you some difficulty.

That being said, I decided to do the timing spread I talked about recently viewtopic.php?f=143&t=2881

I got 2 days from now for the timing answer. Meaning it would be processed Friday and you would then likely hear in the next week, I'd imagine.

So, either 1) one or both of these readings is crap 2)the fool was just a "yes" that I misread because I'm not experienced at those kind of draws or 3) both readings are correct and there will be some kind of problem in your application that prevents it from going through on the first go.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Rachelcat wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 17:56 Hi! Here's a very mundane question! WHEN WHEN WHEN will I be able to get my hair cut? I've gone from looking like I'm wearing a silver football helmet to just plain looking like a shaggy dog! I know everyone's in the same boat, but it's getting to me!

Thanks!
This is tricky for me. I imagine that you actually could get your hair cut anytime if that's all it was. You could do it yourself. But you want a certain standard of quality and a certain standard of safety, neither of which are really very firm notions. So I'm going to use the same timing spread I referenced above here to Merrick and ask when you are advised to get your hair cut.

So, I got the 29th or 30th of July. I drew a tryptich (a main center card surrounding by two elaborating cards and drew: Sun-Moon-Pope

I interpret this to mean, first and foremost, to be very cautious (moon). Get your haircut outside in the sun (they're doing that now a lot of places, I think) and follow all health guidelines (Pope as authority).

Like with a health reading, please don't do something dumb because a tarot card might have said to.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Charlie Brown wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 03:24 This is tricky for me. I imagine that you actually could get your hair cut anytime if that's all it was. You could do it yourself. But you want a certain standard of quality and a certain standard of safety, neither of which are really very firm notions. So I'm going to use the same timing spread I referenced above here to Merrick and ask when you are advised to get your hair cut.

So, I got the 29th or 30th of July. I drew a tryptich (a main center card surrounding by two elaborating cards and drew: Sun-Moon-Pope

I interpret this to mean, first and foremost, to be very cautious (moon). Get your haircut outside in the sun (they're doing that now a lot of places, I think) and follow all health guidelines (Pope as authority).

Like with a health reading, please don't do something dumb because a tarot card might have said to.
Thank you! Yeah, I'll probably wait longer than that because I really don't want to go out in public much at all. Maybe I will cut it myself. But that would be quite an adventure! (And the subject of another question.) Interesting timing thing. Definitely going to steal it from you!

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I have only one trivial question on my mind this month, so I thought I would cheat and ask for a simple straightforward prediction from Rachelcat, Merrick, and Charlie Brown on this topic. Each of you should draw your own card(s) and reach your own conclusions. I am hoping for a clairvoyant consensus. It's about English soccer.

You may need some background information. In England you are born supporting one team or another and you are stuck with it for life. It's the way things are. People are free to change their politics or religion or even their sex but not their football team. Unfortunately my team is Birmingham City, who have been in existence since 1875 and never won a sausage. To be a Birmingham City fan is to swim in an ocean of never-ending defeat and humiliation. I was taken to my first game when I was 5 and even though I left England for Canada over 40 years ago still follow them avidly. I can't explain it.

You should also know that our arch-rivals are a team called Aston Villa. I would NEVER have a friend who supported Aston Villa. At school and at work the two rival sets of supporters are forced to come into contact but never really talk or feel comfortable around one another. When the two teams, whose stadiums are only a couple of miles apart, play against each other, the entire city of Birmingham, the second largest in the country after London, shutters its windows and there are public riots. A defeat for Aston Villa by some other opponent, however reviled, is actually more enjoyable than a victory for my own team. Schadenfreude.

We have now reached the final game of the season and both Birmingham City and Aston Villa are facing catastrophe. I deeply want Birmingham City to survive, and I even more deeply want Aston Villa to perish. They are not playing each other - thank heavens - and are even in different leagues or divisions, but defeat in the next game could mean disaster for both teams. Both are facing relegation to a lower division. Financially they may not be able to survive if this happens. So a large part of my life is hanging in the balance here.

The question is this:

What will happen in the crucial games this week to Birmingham City and Aston Villa?

You may feel the need to do two separate readings, one for each team, or you may extend the reading to see what the future holds for both teams next season and beyond, or you may not be interested at all and ignore this question. That's OK too. But I'm anxious - can't think about anything else actually - and I need to spread my anxiety around. Of course I am hoping that you will all bring me good news about Birmingham City and bad news about Aston Villa, just so I can get some sleep before the big game.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I spent some time working on "algorithms" to figure out what my English (I guess really it was just London) team would be. I follow Tottenham a bit because 1) I need something I can actually find on TV here from time to time and 2)they're neither Arsenal or Man U, neither of which are acceptable because of the prevalence of obnoxious, hipster fake bandwagon fans from before you could even find EPL in the states. My teams would likely be either QPR or, shudder, Barnett.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I saw that Birmingham was playing today so I figured I'd better hop to it. I'll get back to Aston Villa.

Moon-Wheel of Fortune - Papess

So Moon+Wheel very clearly refers to their fears of relegation. I'm not sure what the Papess means, tbh. My inclination is to say that it's "all in their head" or "theoretical" (i.e. just comes from the book). So, I'm going to say that they won't be relegated.

If I had to go out on a limb and make an even further projection, I'll say that they'll lose but still not get relegated. That's a bit beyond what I can grasp out of the cards though.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

OH...I WAS SO RIGHT

They lost but it didn't matter. The fear of relegation was in their mind.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Ha! Just the opposite of what I said: they would win the game but lose their standing (or whatever it's called). Now I really want to know what happens!

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Rachelcat wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 20:31 Ha! Just the opposite of what I said: they would win the game but lose their standing (or whatever it's called). Now I really want to know what happens!
FWIW, I wouldn't have read it the way that you did, but mainly because of the leftward facing death. Fool looks like he's walking into a new era (i.e. yet another league) but the leftward death cuts that off. A rightward death would have, to me, suggested demotion.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Good thinking! I need more practice reading the pictures!

I didn't see the results before! Well done!

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 15:52 I saw that Birmingham was playing today so I figured I'd better hop to it.
If I had to go out on a limb and make an even further projection, I'll say that they'll lose but still not get relegated.
Good call! They lost the game 1-3 but did not get relegated because their rivals lost by bigger margins, so all is well. Yay! First you predicted the ending of Game of Thrones with Lenormand cards, and now this! You should be betting on horses using the cards! But I wouldn't want to risk the karmic retribution. Aston Villa play on Sunday.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

You know, I have no idea how he goes about it (we aren't close) but my uncle has consistently made a monthly profit on the ponies for several decades now.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 06:27 You know, I have no idea how he goes about it (we aren't close) but my uncle has consistently made a monthly profit on the ponies for several decades now.
My dad kept our family afloat betting on horses in England. He had a mathematical system for factoring in variables such as past form, course conditions, weather, jockey, owner, and several other factors, and would come up with a points total out of 100 for EVERY horse running in England on any given day. That might add up to about 300 or more horses. He might only have one bet a week but the horse he picked usually won at a good price. Often when I was a kid we would get on his motor-bike and travel for hours just to watch one chosen horse run. If the owner of the horse wasn't there to watch it win my dad wouldn't bet on it. Plus he grew up on a farm and kind of knew what to look for in the horse itself up close to see if it was in the mood that day. He was probably the most cautious gambler in the history of the world. It almost took the fun out of it.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 17:15 I spent some time working on "algorithms" to figure out what my English (I guess really it was just London) team would be. I follow Tottenham a bit because 1) I need something I can actually find on TV here from time to time and 2)they're neither Arsenal or Man U, neither of which are acceptable because of the prevalence of obnoxious, hipster fake bandwagon fans from before you could even find EPL in the states. My teams would likely be either QPR or, shudder, Barnett.
Barnet?! They are a semi-professional team from Division 5 made up of butchers, bakers and candlestick-makers. You must have relatives from that part of the London. But that loyalty beyond all reason is exactly the kind of devotion required of an English soccer fan. There was a little team called Allen's Cross that played, and still do, in their own tiny "stadium" at the end of our street, in a league far lower even than Barnet, and when I was a kid those players were like gods to me. Tottenham Hotspur (the Spurs) - great name - were the top team when i first got interested in football. Their great goal-scoring star was Jimmy Greaves but the brains of the team was the tall thin ghostly figure of John White who died at the age of 27, struck by lightning while playing golf. Man, that was one of the worst moments of my life when I heard that on the news in 1964 when I was 9 years old. Ah, sweet nostalgia.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

They were Division 4 before they got a heartbreaking, bad beat relegation that wasn't fairly deserved. I had only discovered them in the two weeks before this drama so, naturally, I felt it keenly.

The reason I landed on Barnet is that I live within the city limits in the absolute northwestern most corner of San Diego, Barnet is the last northwestern corner actually within London, so it seemed apropos.

I was also looking at where I would most like to live in London that seems even remotely plausible (so like not Knightsbridge) and discovered Shepard's Bush. I was then tickled to discover that there is a giant Westfield Mall in Shepard's Bush and I live around the corner from a giant Westfield mall in California. So it seemed equivalent. Around the corner from the Westfield Mall in Shepard's Bush is QPR territory.

But the beauty of English Soccer is that Barnet can still win the FA Cup.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 18:09 They were Division 4 before they got a heartbreaking, bad beat relegation that wasn't fairly deserved. I had only discovered them in the two weeks before this drama so, naturally, I felt it keenly.

The reason I landed on Barnet is that I live within the city limits in the absolute northwestern most corner of San Diego, Barnet is the last northwestern corner actually within London, so it seemed apropos.

I was also looking at where I would most like to live in London that seems even remotely plausible (so like not Knightsbridge) and discovered Shepard's Bush. I was then tickled to discover that there is a giant Westfield Mall in Shepard's Bush and I live around the corner from a giant Westfield mall in California. So it seemed equivalent. Around the corner from the Westfield Mall in Shepard's Bush is QPR territory.

But the beauty of English Soccer is that Barnet can still win the FA Cup.
If Birmingham can avoid relegation then Barnet can indeed win the FA Cup. Googling like mad I discover that there is a Westfield Mall in Sydney, Australia and the bookstore I work in is in the town of Sidney, British Columbia. Sydney is in the southeast of Australia rather than the northwest, but since everything is upside-down over there it kind of satisfies the geographical requirements. This obviously means that we should both becomes supporters of the Australian Rules football team the Sydney Swans, who beat Hawthorn yesterday 60-53, but currently lie 14th in a league of 18 teams. Go Swans!
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Australian Rules Football is rad. I first came upon it at like 3AM in 1998 and was :o
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

For this reading, I used my Soprafino Menghelo deck. It's classical, Italianate grace marks it as one of, if not the, most beautiful of historical decks, perhaps even all decks. Nothing could fitting for an organization of such august history as the Aston Villa Football Club, the preferred team of His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

So, what does tomorrow hold for the Claret and Blue?
Lovers - Moon - Temperance

IMG_1147.JPG

Honestly, I don't have a real great sense of what this line means. The outer two cards both have heavy duality implications and the moon does as well, with the two dogs. Based on these cards, I don't foresee a win for them, which will leave their fate in the hands of the other teams low in the table. "The path (lovers -> the choice that puts you on god's path -> path) they fear (moon, i.e. relegation) depends on how things balance out (Temperance). Aston Villa is howling at the moon, unable to affect anything.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 20:29 For this reading, I used my Soprafino Menghelo deck. It's classical, Italianate grace marks it as one of, if not the, most beautiful of historical decks, perhaps even all decks. Nothing could fitting for an organization of such august history as the Aston Villa Football Club, the preferred team of His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

Aston Villa is howling at the moon, unable to affect anything.
Yes, well, I think using the Gummy Bear Tarot would be more appropriate.

We can only hope Aston Villa will be howling at the Moon at the end of the day. How sweet it would be for Birmingham to escape the drop and for Villa to plunge headlong into the barren landscape of the Second Division with us, neighbours in soccer hell. I predict a West Ham 0 - Villa 0 draw. Cupid threatens to shoot his arrow but holds back. No-one takes the decisive shot. A ball (Moon) is ballooned over the bar. The two towers are the goalposts. So a missed penalty. The absent crowd howl. At full time the honors are even. 0-0. That means Villa will go down, they will be helpless, if Watford win away at Arsenal. As a Tottenham fan you will hate Arsenal much as Blues fans hate Villa. So, perhaps for different reasons, we are both cheering for Watford to score a surprise upset against Arsenal.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Yet, should they find their way into Championship 1, won't that just mean that your team suffers the humiliation of face-to-face defeat?
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 01:43 Yet, should they find their way into Championship 1, won't that just mean that your team suffers the humiliation of face-to-face defeat?
That's fightin' talk!

Return to “Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”