This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Lenormand Illuminations

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Lenormand Illuminations

Post by Joan Marie »

I've started the process of making a Lenormand deck.

I'm just getting into Lenormand myself and got the idea to make a deck as a way of feeling closer to it.

Here's a sneak peek at a couple of "finished" cards. Once I am through with all 36 I will go back and fine tune them all.

The motif/concept I've chosen to work in is Illuminated Books.

01 Rider.jpg
03 Ship.jpg
09 Boquet.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Nemia
Sage

Re: Lenormand Illuminations

Post by Nemia »

That's interesting, I'll have an eye on it :-) It looks a bit Eastern with the ogee arches and reminds me of the Deste somehow... a beautiful use of arches.

Some thoughts:

- black background doesn't happen in illuminated books (there are purple books but not, as far as I know, black books) so if you want to stay true to the look and feel of book illuminations, stay with a parchment-coloured background

- bouquet ;-) with a U

- I'm not sure the serene lady on her palfrey, riding side saddle under roofs, conveys the energy of the Rider. If you want a lady, look for Empress Sisi - she was a daring hunter... the Rider is fast and alert.

sisi.jpg

- if you change the writing from card to card and pick so vastly different artwork, then the playing card inserts and numbers should be uniform in size, place and style, otherwise there is too little visual unity

I hope you don't mind I say what I think! It's just my spontaneous impression.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just getting started with these so the actual style hasn't quite come together yet but I think it's in there somewhere.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

It must be great to be able to make a deck of your own... sigh.... I studied art but for so many years didn't make any that I feel I lost the ability completely... I'm very curious to see how it will develop and take shape. :-)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Love the different borders, and like the black backgrounds too - great impact and they give an original feel. I think the images retain their 'illuminated' look in spite of their new settings, but if you have doubts you could try that lovely blue that is sometimes featured as a background to the first large illuminated letter on pages of old manuscripts to see if you prefer it.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/5353654 ... 9/?lp=true
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

What a gorgeous link Pen.

I liked the black too, it sort of set things glowing by contrast. It's not the classic idea of illumination, and I do see the merit of staying true to the medievil style...

The blue is lovely. I also thought about gold. I think the reason they are called illuminations and not just illustrations was because of the use of gold leaf to decorate robes and halos etc., but many also had gold backgrounds. But I think of gold backgrounds more with religious icon images like these:

Fedorovskaya.jpg
russian.jpg

But there is an Illuminated book called The Golden Haggadah filled with images like these:

747fc8e854176b47273c41ceae895447168079f9.jpg
5bbadfbe9cbf09b12cba576eb2846773c28afd09.jpg
Golden_Haggadah_Pharaoh_and_the_Midwives.jpg

So I have lots to play with. My idea is to create a Lenormand with a kind of intensity, something a bit away from the soft bucolic images so often associated with it, yet with a nod to a time past. I also want to avoid any overtly religious imagery or connotation which I'm afraid too much gold might bring. I'm starting to sway back to black....

decisions, decisions....

And if ever there was a deck that called for gold gilt edging it will be this one.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

If it helps with the swaying... I love the black :)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I've done some work on those first three cards I posted and I'm starting to get a sort of cohesiveness developed. And I am really rethinking the Rider lady altogether.

But anyway, here are three more recently completed ones:

12 Bird.jpg
11 Whip.jpg
08 Coffin.jpg
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑03 Aug 2018, 15:19 I've done some work on those first three cards I posted and I'm starting to get a sort of cohesiveness developed. And I am really rethinking the Rider lady altogether.

But anyway, here are three more recently completed ones:

12 Bird.jpg11 Whip.jpg08 Coffin.jpg
I think the cards are all lovely and I, also, like the black. I think that the high contrast is going to help a lot when it comes to readability in a tableau, which is something a lot of the art lenormands fall short on.

If you're in the midst of reconsidering the rider, please be aware that the riding woman does undercut The Rider's traditional function as a second male significator. Personally, I think a knight would be appropriate since, in French, the card is often called Le Cavalier.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Charlie Brown wrote: ↑03 Aug 2018, 16:06 I think that the high contrast is going to help a lot when it comes to readability in a tableau, which is something a lot of the art lenormands fall short on.
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it I can see what you mean.
If you're in the midst of reconsidering the rider, please be aware that the riding woman does undercut The Rider's traditional function as a second male significator. Personally, I think a knight would be appropriate since, in French, the card is often called Le Cavalier.
Okay, now that's at least 2 good reasons (see Nemia's comment above) to change her.
BlueToy
Seeker

Post by BlueToy »

It looks wonderful. I do think the bouquet's title stands out from the rest of the bunch since it's the only one which doesn't have a rectangular background for the text - it might stand out more in a reading, with the reader's unconscious eye gravitating towards it more.

Tell me if you need help with locating image inspiration for the cards. I have a stash I saved when I was doing research for inspirations for the Gravenchase Lenormand (which was also inspired by Medieval stuff). It was a bit difficult looking for bases for some cards (like the path/crossroads, among others!).

Good luck too! :)

-Ly
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I really love the way you've developed this - it's coming together beautifully. The text of the titles is wonderful - just the right size to fully integrate with the imagery and adding to the surprise of originality - something very different from all the rest is always a good thing.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

BlueToy wrote: ↑04 Aug 2018, 14:05 Tell me if you need help with locating image inspiration for the cards. I have a stash I saved when I was doing research for inspirations for the Gravenchase Lenormand (which was also inspired by Medieval stuff). It was a bit difficult looking for bases for some cards (like the path/crossroads, among others!).
Thank you Ly. I know what you mean about some of the images being hard to find, Crossroads for sure and also, oddly enough, the Letter. There's a couple of other tricky ones as well.

I appreciate your offer. Is your stash posted somewhere, or is there a source you can recommend I can google?
BlueToy
Seeker

Post by BlueToy »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑05 Aug 2018, 08:20
BlueToy wrote: ↑04 Aug 2018, 14:05 Tell me if you need help with locating image inspiration for the cards. I have a stash I saved when I was doing research for inspirations for the Gravenchase Lenormand (which was also inspired by Medieval stuff). It was a bit difficult looking for bases for some cards (like the path/crossroads, among others!).
Thank you Ly. I know what you mean about some of the images being hard to find, Crossroads for sure and also, oddly enough, the Letter. There's a couple of other tricky ones as well.

I appreciate your offer. Is your stash posted somewhere, or is there a source you can recommend I can google?
Oh, I just googled for images of relevant woodcuts and illuminated manuscripts, and saved them on my computer, in separate folders so it's easier to locate them when I need some reference or inspiration for the card I'm drawing. As for inspirations for the Letter card, well, illuminated manuscripts are full of decorative scrollwork, and, well, scrolls were a form of written communication back then, so I kinda fused the two with mine. Maybe you can do the same. :D

The Silson Lenormand is another deck that uses material from Medieval drawings and illuminations, you might want to check it out too. It looks beautiful, though I would guess a bit hard to read with in big spreads because the imagery sometimes isn't too straightforward.

-Ly
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Ooooh that looks wonderful. I have a large collection of books about medieval manuscripts... if you want me to look for a specific image, just tell me. I've been teaching medieval book illuminations for years.

I have the Gravenchase and the Silson and love both.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Nemia wrote: ↑01 Jul 2018, 15:52 It must be great to be able to make a deck of your own... sigh.... I studied art but for so many years didn't make any that I feel I lost the ability completely... I'm very curious to see how it will develop and take shape. :-)
This explains so much! I see your posts and I think, β€œWow, this woman really knows her art and history.” I could not tell if it was avocation or occupation. Truly, I enjoy seeing your responses to a variety of posts here and found your tryptich ightening.

Joan Marie, I love your art. I would also like to create decks. I love drawing and painting and coloring and have soooo many ideas. I have thought about doing a Marseilles just for my own edification. I suppose that as time passes, we shall see!

Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Nemia wrote: ↑11 Aug 2018, 05:22 Ooooh that looks wonderful. I have a large collection of books about medieval manuscripts... if you want me to look for a specific image, just tell me. I've been teaching medieval book illuminations for years.

I have the Gravenchase and the Silson and love both.
We so need to chat more! Calligraphy is also something I love to do with illuminated letters and such.
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I studied Art and Art Education, later added Art History. I work as an Art Historian. I can't afford to buy art so I buy decks instead :-)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

01 Rider 2.jpg

I re-thought the Rider (the previous iteration appears earlier in this thread)

I've also changed the playing cards on every one. What I was using before looked to modern. I have a few more done and will post some later.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I think that's going to work much better. I like it!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I've "finished" several more cards. I still have about 15 to go. Thought I would share a few.

27 Letter.jpg
33 KEY.jpg
17 Stork.jpg
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Wonderful - really different and eye catching. Love the idea of a special border and title for each while keeping control and ensuring that they're easily identifiable as all being from the same pack.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

I like it. Aside from the medieval images and the black background, the font and varied borders give this deck a distinct personality. The combination of black and gold gives it a classy and timeless look. When taken as a whole, these elements work together well.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm about halfway through the initial designs and I feel like the style is solidifying in a way I'm almost satisfied with.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Beautiful new cards. I'd urge you to take extra care to make sure that letter card doesn't get easily confused with the lady. I could see it being an issue in a GT.

Return to β€œSneak Peeks & Works in Progress”