This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Opinion: Tarot Cloths

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much

Do you use a tarot cloth when you do readings?

Yes
8%
No
33%
Sometimes
58%

Total votes: 12

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Opinion: Tarot Cloths

Post by Joan Marie »

I want to ask those of you who use Tarot Cloths (I guess we all should be, right?) if you could share what qualities you appreciate in a good one. Or maybe even what you don't care for in one.
  • Are there any particular fabrics you find that you prefer?
  • What about patterns/designs?
  • And what size seems the most practical or useful?
Anything else you could add would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Papageno
Sage

Re: Opinion: Tarot Cloths

Post by Papageno »

I prefer no reading cloth, but I could go with a basic black table cloth with plants or ephemera to weigh it down and prevent slippage.

Patterns are too distracting (for me), but obviously I'm decidedly in the minority here since Tarot theme reading cloths sell-out like there's no tomorrow.

After reading this poll I was inspired to Google Tarot reading cloths and I came upon a very handsome Tarot theme coffee table, which is fine provided you enjoy reading from the couch or sitting on the floor.
I guess you could remove the short legs and replace them with standard table length legs.

Unfortunately, it's printed on wood, so maybe the table top isn't very durable or easily cleaned, I have a feeling glass cleaner isn't a good idea.

Black background, simple geometric design of the sun, moon, stars and The World at the center position with what appears to be constellations within the World, and the designation XXI.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/e ... c2982.html
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

I bought a beige cotton cloth that has the Lenormand houses on it. It’s thick and dense and if I use the side without printing just looks like a plain cloth. I only need a cloth sparingly but it’s nice to grab when I want it.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh, tarot cloths! I love everything textile and I'm a completionist, so when I see a deck with a beautiful cloth, I always feel one can't have one without the other (and I eat my heart out for having missed the Skullgarden cloth!). I personally use a number of things:

- a black Indian cloth embroidered with little mirrors that I bought ages ago as tablecloth - it's beautiful

- my handmade crochet wraps - the cruciform ones that are great for cross readings (five or six cards). Quite a number of my decks are by now wrapped in such things and it's nice to use something I made myself from yarn chosen especially for the deck. Some of the excitment of having a new deck and clothing it still lingers in the crochet fabric

- quite often, I use spread maps that I made myself, or esoteric maps that I made

- I ordered a cloth with the constellations of the zodiac and hope it will arrive soon!

I will add pictures of the different options when I have the time for it :-)

Oh, and sometimes, I use nothing or my Deck of 1001 Spreads, a clever deck that is often a great help to get a problem into focus - or when I want to leave a spread to simmer for a day or two.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I voted 'sometimes' - it just depends on which room I'm in and inclination. I like ones that are heavy enough not to wrinkle when laying out the cards. Cloths tend to make me feel (although I only read for myself) that the reading is somehow deeper, more serious.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Only when reading outside, to protect my cards from dirt.
Start strong
End stronger
BlueStar
Sage

Post by BlueStar »

I never use one. I did have some cloths when I started tarot reading but found them distracting (nothing to do with design, they were plain), so I haven't used them since.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”