This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot Leads To A Life Of Depravity cicra 1377

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Papageno
Sage

Tarot Leads To A Life Of Depravity cicra 1377

Post by Papageno »

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ls/537786/
In medieval Europe, card games occasioned drinking, gambling, and a host of other vices that drew cheats and charlatans to the table. Card playing became so widespread and disruptive that authorities banned it. In his book The Game of Tarot, the historian Michael Dummett explains that a 1377 ordinance forbade card games on workdays in Paris. Similar bans were enacted throughout Europe as preachers sought to regulate card playing, convinced that “the Devil’s picture book” led only to a life of depravity.

I'm working backward actually. I followed a link to the above article from The Atlantic via a NY Times article (today, April 1, 2020) entitled:
16 Aesthetically Pleasing Puzzles and Games to Play at Home

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/t-ma ... ion=AtHome Admittedly some of the prices for these lovely, bored and quarantined at home games are steep. Actually, who are we to criticize, these prices are about the same price for a beautiful Tarot deck, OOP or not :lol:
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Merrick
Sage

Re: Tarot Leads To A Life Of Depravity cicra 1377

Post by Merrick »

I hope they’re right! I’d be upset if Tarot led me to a completely wholesome life.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Merrick wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 19:25 I hope they’re right! I’d be upset if Tarot led me to a completely wholesome life.

:lol:
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Papageno! please tell us where your earlier avatar came from! It was lovely - missing it already...!!
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Pen wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 15:12 Papageno! please tell us where your earlier avatar came from! It was lovely - missing it already...!!
Twas a false visage, and besides, the 2020 season has been canceled:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/arts ... virus.html

Image I have now taken to the study of arcane secrets of the Tarot.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Well, I read the article and clicked on some links, but am none the wiser. Perhaps I'll consult the tarot, or possibly gregory, who knows nearly everything.
Papageno wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 17:49

I have now taken to the study of arcane secrets of the Tarot.

Here's an incunabulum to help you with your studies...
Druid's book.jpg
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

The Magic Flute is full of the tarot, as it's also a story of initiation.

http://www.conspirazzi.com/the-origins- ... gic-flute/
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Oh, I know at that much at least, and that Mozart was a freemason. I've googled Mozart Tarot, Opera Tarot, Magic Flute Tarot, Papageno etc. ect. (as I'd thought the image must surely be a small section of a tarot card), but without success. Gregory's my best bet if that's so.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Update: Hooray! gregory lived up to expectations in spite of the fact that I was wrong about the image being tarot-related - truly a friend in need!
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Pen wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:21 Update: Hooray! gregory lived up to expectations in spite of the fact that I was wrong about the image being tarot-related - truly a friend in need!
gregory knows everything. I also always turn to her when I'm looking for something tarot related!
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

She is very wise...

1owl.jpg
1owl.jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC