This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

hi

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
anise
Seer

hi

Post by anise »

i've seen one user on this forum, and that's monk. one other: joan marie. are folks using the forum? i left a reading for feedback, and am happy to provide feedback for others, but so far don't see much activity to suggest anyone is active.
Diana
Sage

Re: hi

Post by Diana »

Hello anise,

If you go to "active" topics (click on the three lines next to "Home" at the top of the page), you'll see the activity that has occurred on the boards recently and realise that this forum is alive and active. There are not many internet forums that are hugely active as Aeclectic was for instance in the past, because when Aeclectic closed down a lot of people decided that their Tarot needs are covered on Facebook groups, and apparently youtube as well (I don't know how youtube can be used for this purpose, but it seems that it is).

The most active forum is Tarot Tea & Me, which is a very nice forum but different to this one with a different slant and different interests. For my purposes and needs, the Cult of Tarot is a perfect fit and I am so grateful that Joan Marie created it. I'd be a sad little Diana if she hadn't.

I post a lot (according to the statistics) so am a very active user. Others come here only periodically for specific reasons, such as reading exchanges or posting in Plato's Cave where philosophical questions are asked to the Tarot. Or some are more interested in the historical aspect to the tarot, and not so much the reading of the tarot (I do readings, but my interest is more in history, symbolism and mythology and suchlike.) I was drawn to the Tarot originally only for its history.

I'll have a look at your reading later today and see if I can give any insight, although I'm not an RWS reader habitually, as my interest in Tarot lies with the Tarot of Marseilles which is a tradition that is now taking hold in the Anglo-Saxon tarot world, to my great pleasure.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to any contributions you make in the future.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

anise wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 09:48 i've seen one user on this forum, and that's monk. one other: joan marie. are folks using the forum? i left a reading for feedback, and am happy to provide feedback for others, but so far don't see much activity to suggest anyone is active.
Activity here fluctuates, like waves. There's aways something, check out the recent topics, or unread topics. And don't be shy about commenting on an older thread and reviving it. I hope you jump in and comment on some things too, share your thoughts and experiences and become an active participant. Activity creates activity. 🌸
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

Lol around the time I joined this forum, I also applied to join Tarot Tea and Me, and they rejected me out of hand.
It was weird, to be honest.
This place is much more welcoming and transparent and open. People here are supportive and awesome.
Diana wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 11:15 Hello anise,

If you go to "active" topics (click on the three lines next to "Home" at the top of the page), you'll see the activity that has occurred on the boards recently and realise that this forum is alive and active. There are not many internet forums that are hugely active as Aeclectic was for instance in the past, because when Aeclectic closed down a lot of people decided that their Tarot needs are covered on Facebook groups, and apparently youtube as well (I don't know how youtube can be used for this purpose, but it seems that it is).

The most active forum is Tarot Tea & Me, which is a very nice forum but different to this one with a different slant and different interests. For my purposes and needs, the Cult of Tarot is a perfect fit and I am so grateful that Joan Marie created it. I'd be a sad little Diana if she hadn't.

I post a lot (according to the statistics) so am a very active user. Others come here only periodically for specific reasons, such as reading exchanges or posting in Plato's Cave where philosophical questions are asked to the Tarot. Or some are more interested in the historical aspect to the tarot, and not so much the reading of the tarot (I do readings, but my interest is more in history, symbolism and mythology and suchlike.) I was drawn to the Tarot originally only for its history.

I'll have a look at your reading later today and see if I can give any insight, although I'm not an RWS reader habitually, as my interest in Tarot lies with the Tarot of Marseilles which is a tradition that is now taking hold in the Anglo-Saxon tarot world, to my great pleasure.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to any contributions you make in the future.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

kare wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 21:01 Lol around the time I joined this forum, I also applied to join Tarot Tea and Me, and they rejected me out of hand.
This place is much more welcoming and transparent and open. People here are supportive and awesome.

Well, maybe there was some kind of misunderstanding. They're a friendly bunch actually. I post there sometimes under the username Marigold. They have a different vision to CoT. I think the two forums complement each other nicely. I'm glad they're around. They have a tarot mentorship programme for beginners which seems to function very well. And they have a great gif thread - nothing to do with the tarot but it's very funny.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

Diana wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 21:08
kare wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 21:01 Lol around the time I joined this forum, I also applied to join Tarot Tea and Me, and they rejected me out of hand.

Well, maybe there was some kind of misunderstanding. They're a friendly bunch actually. I post there sometimes under the username Marigold. They have a different vision to CoT. I think the two forums complement each other nicely. I'm glad they're around. They have a tarot mentorship programme for beginners which seems to function very well. And they have a great gif thread - nothing to do with the tarot but it's very funny.
Maybe I should check them out again. It happened so quickly I wondered if it was an algorithm.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Just FYI the mentorship program at TT&M mentioned above (*waves at Marigold aka Diana*) is temporarily not accepting anyone new, because the person who was coordinating it left yesterday. (I know zero details, but am sorry to hear it.) I only mention that so that the 'Not accepting new students at the moment' signs don't seem unfriendly. They've always been friendly to me over there, (even though I sometimes feel like an odd duck with my fervent love of the Thoth complete with hermetic Qabalah and astrological correspondences.)

I'm new over here, but everyone's been equally friendly here, and there's a different vibe unique to CoT, which is nice to see. A good bit of interest in TdM. And on a separate note the header alone drew me in, because the decans aren't something I see everywhere. I'm happy to have found this forum.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

Okay, I tried it again. Thank you!
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

thank you Diana! i just checked my post because i didn't think there'd be much activity. what a nice surprise! marseille is such an interesting deck.
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

Joan Marie wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 12:05
anise wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 09:48 i've seen one user on this forum, and that's monk. one other: joan marie. are folks using the forum? i left a reading for feedback, and am happy to provide feedback for others, but so far don't see much activity to suggest anyone is active.
Activity here fluctuates, like waves. There's aways something, check out the recent topics, or unread topics. And don't be shy about commenting on an older thread and reviving it. I hope you jump in and comment on some things too, share your thoughts and experiences and become an active participant. Activity creates activity. 🌸
i'd have to agree with that. and my own might fluctuate, such are the demands of life. thanks jm.
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

thanks kare, that's good to hear. i have my own thoughts about that forum, but will keep them to myself. :mrgreen:
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:15

thank you Diana! i just checked my post because i didn't think there'd be much activity. what a nice surprise! marseille is such an interesting deck.
Ah, interesting is an understatement. It's like a treasure chest with no bottom. A bit like Mary Poppin's bag : https://www.thetarotforum.com/forums/to ... nt-144389

I'm glad we sorted all that out and welcome again to Cult of Tarot which is also like a treasure chest with no bottom.
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

Diana wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:20
anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:15

Ah, interesting is an understatement. It's like a treasure chest with no bottom. A bit like Mary Poppin's bag : https://www.thetarotforum.com/forums/to ... nt-144389

I'm glad we sorted all that out and welcome again to Cult of Tarot which is also like a treasure chest with no bottom.
it's always great to have a forum to run readings by, and to discuss other relevant topics. it helps grow the associated skills. marseilles intrigues me, but the imagery for me isn't enough to trigger my intuition unfortunately. i'm always curious when i read that someone uses marseilles. maybe the same you feel about RWS ;)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:25
it's always great to have a forum to run readings by, and to discuss other relevant topics. it helps grow the associated skills. marseilles intrigues me, but the imagery for me isn't enough to trigger my intuition unfortunately. i'm always curious when i read that someone uses marseilles. maybe the same you feel about RWS ;)
Not really. My main beef (but there are a whole list of them) is that the RWS switched the Major Arcana 8 and 11. This makes no sense at all - except that Waite had to "rectify" the Tarot to fit in with his views. It distorts everything when 8 is no longer Justice. It messes with the minors as well. Rectify the Tarot ? What an idea. How can one rectify something that is perfect in all its ways ? It's like asking God to improve Itself.

Also, I get annoyed that people don't ask themselves WHY the pictures on the minors depict those images. They take them at face value without asking what the rationale behind them is. I've tried often to find the reason behind the depictions, but haven't figured most of them out.
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

Diana wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 07:08
anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:25
Not really. My main beef (but there are a whole list of them) is that the RWS switched the Major Arcana 8 and 11. This makes no sense at all - except that Waite had to "rectify" the Tarot to fit in with his views. It distorts everything when 8 is no longer Justice. It messes with the minors as well. Rectify the Tarot ? What an idea. How can one rectify something that is perfect in all its ways ? It's like asking God to improve Itself.

Also, I get annoyed that people don't ask themselves WHY the pictures on the minors depict those images. They take them at face value without asking what the rationale behind them is. I've tried often to find the reason behind the depictions, but haven't figured most of them out.
i didn't know that about the RWS. very curious. i will say that while i rely on the general meaning of the cards, i rely more so on my intuition. sometimes it's loud for my own readings, but more often than not, it's elusive when i read for myself. it's VERY loud when i read for others though. the cards just trigger it. if you are interested in WHY the pictures on the minors are what they are, you may check out truly teach me tarot. it's a great site. it's also incomplete in many ways, but it provides a lot of value as a jumping off point for RWS interpretations, including why the images are what they are
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

Hi Anise,

We're here. It's quieter here than on the tea sippin' forum. I guarantee you that the stuff discussed here is very valuable.
Little chit chat, more in depth stuff. In general people only post here when there's actual reason to do so? Dunno.

Namaste
Monk
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
-Premier Principes Tarot- https://www.instagram.com/premier_principes_tarot/
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

Monk wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 07:36
Hi Anise,

We're here. It's quieter here than on the tea sippin' forum. I guarantee you that the stuff discussed here is very valuable.
Little chit chat, more in depth stuff. In general people only post here when there's actual reason to do so? Dunno.

Namaste
Monk
thanks! sounds good. :D
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:17

thanks kare, that's good to hear. i have my own thoughts about that forum, but will keep them to myself. :mrgreen:
For the sake of transparency, I may have to eat my words. Hearing the positive experiences of others after my original comment, I applied again and all seems to be well. I'm just dipping my toes. Truth is, I am fully involved here and this will be my primary place. I do think you will love it here. I am now actually getting to know people a little and that was surprising and such a delight.
anise
Seer

Post by anise »

kare wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 15:22
anise wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 06:17

For the sake of transparency, I may have to eat my words. Hearing the positive experiences of others after my original comment, I applied again and all seems to be well. I'm just dipping my toes. Truth is, I am fully involved here and this will be my primary place. I do think you will love it here. I am now actually getting to know people a little and that was surprising and such a delight.
keep us posted. ;)
Natural Mystic Guide
Seer

Post by Natural Mystic Guide »

I had the same experience more than a year ago. I was rejected and there was no reason given. I was hurt and confused. Anyway, I reapplied a couple of months ago and was accepted and am now actively posting. So it may just be some weird snafu.

I enjoy all things Tarot. I find this forum to be, as you say, supportive and awesome. So welcome and enjoy!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Some time ago, Tarot Tea & Me migrated to new software or server or both. It was shut down for a few days for this. I know that after that, it was quite a messy time to re-register or register. I think it caused some headaches for the owner of the forum. Maybe all this occurred during that time, the bad experiences. It certainly doesn't sound anything like them to reject people who are interested in the Tarot ! I'm pretty certain all this is a misunderstanding.

All this was before I joined but I figured out all this by browsing old posts and things.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Rose Lalonde wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 00:39 (even though I sometimes feel like an odd duck with my fervent love of the Thoth complete with hermetic Qabalah and astrological correspondences.)
I am so glad you have joined us. We've had some wonderful Thoth people travel through here and I think, I feel, the time is ripe now and our Thoth wings are about to spread here.

It's such a beautiful and rich deck, and there are so many wonderful Thoth-inspired decks out there, that I know we have lots and lots to explore.

A lot of the decan information is in the astrology section, and there is also a separate Kabbalah part but then it all comes together in the Thoth.

I'm so excited for this.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”