This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Another Frame Option: CoT Deck

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Another Frame Option: CoT Deck

Post by Joan Marie »

reall created another concept for the frame and font. Here we can compare some of the cards.
I have to apologise because I just did a kind of quick mock-up with reall's frame, it's not 100% accurate center-wise and the inside frame needs a little work, but it's very close. Basically here you can just consider the colour difference, etc.

Take a long look. They are really different, the effects and how they contrast/compliment the art are really different.

High Priestess.png
Knight of swords.png
The emperor.png
The Fool.png
Wheel of Fortune.png
the lovers.png
00 The Fool IP.png
02 High Priestess.jpg
04 The Emperor IP.jpg
05 Wheel of Fortune IP.png
06 Lovers IP.png
Knight of Swords.png
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Another Frame Option: CoT Deck

Post by Charlie Brown »

I like that better still.
I believe in Crystal Light.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Oooh well I really like the grey still.
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Charlie Brown wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 15:21 I like that better still.
Haha! Thank You!^^ i have another version that is *most different & would like to hear your opinion about? ;)
as these may be bitzy too yellow? :mrgreen:
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Oooooh gold 😍

I like it a lot but I think it might be too epic feeling. Maybe if it was a solar or kaleidoscopic deck, or a deck with some grand theme.

It’s still beautiful though! ☺️✨❤️

I’m starting to feel more keen on the mottled grey slowly but surely, but I’m still interested in seeing more borders throughout the duration of this project.

edit: Some of them really pop in that gold frame though. Hmm.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

The Gold is too bright. Detracts I think from the pictures. Sort of makes one want to put sunglasses on!! :geek: Would be nice to see a less flashy version. It could maybe work. Gold is a nice colour and goes with everything I would think.

The grey however is also nice, I still like it.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

The lighter feeling that reall's gold frame gives is nice, very different vibe from the grey.

In my opinion, it's too bright for this deck though and tends to overpower the artwork.

We're still working on this everybody.

Here is a kind of compromise I just made real quick. What do you all think of this direction?

03 Cups.png
06 Lovers IP.png
12 Hanged Man.png
16 Tower IP.png
18 The Moon 2 IP.png
Page of Cups.png
02 High Priestess.png
05 Hierophant IP.png

You can see all the completed cards in the grey frame here for comparisson.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I also made these composite pics to advertise our project on Social media (please feel free to share by the way) and then I thought they also provide a nice comparison for us here of the frames (in addition to my last post)

I recommend clicking on them to really see them.

CoT Deck Insta ad 01.jpg
CoT Deck Insta ad 02.jpg
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

And one last submission from Painterspoon, the lovely Queen of Cups. I saved in both frames:

Queen of Cups.png
Queen of Cups.png
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I think I like this gold....hmm.

Is there such a think as shimmery forest green? Like metallic mottled green, but a bit on the dark side. I just looked at them and couldn’t imagine one that wouldn’t not compliment it.

Like this or this maybe
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Gorgeous composite pics.

I would be happy with the gold frame. Grey looks very dull when compared actually and when one sees a number of cards together.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

AstralPasta wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 16:02 I think I like this gold....hmm.

Is there such a think as shimmery forest green? Like metallic mottled green, but a bit on the dark side. I just looked at them and couldn’t imagine one that wouldn’t not compliment it.

Like this or this maybe
There are still a lot of cards left to come in. I'm wary of going with strong definite colours like greens or blues because of the fact they will definitely clash with at least some of the cards. Also, I think we would have the problem of the frame starting to dominate. We have to be careful of that and remember that our deck has no cohesive palette to accommodate any strong colours.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

I would advise against green as it usually end up terrible printed!x,x facepalm
so far gray looks best/aka most neutral :D
& I would like to see those *experiments more brass/coppeer maybe? :mrgreen:
PamelaSteele
Seeker

Post by PamelaSteele »

I think a more neutral color, like the greys, would better suit the variety of art we're going to be dealing with in this deck. That color or even a medium sandstone brown with the gold inner line such as you have in the bright yellow ones. I try to avoid more vibrant greens, as you can see in the Empress card I submitted, as working in CMYK can make that tricky and more than a bit difficult.
Has anyone else noticed the most popular decks are borderless or have a minimum width to the border? I like the tiny gold trim around the images. I would go with the greys and the gold line border next to the picture. If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a gold "style" and do the text to match the gold trim.
LindseMercury
Seeker

Post by LindseMercury »

All the frame options are wonderful. I think the grey is still my favorite. It seems to stay in the background but provide uniformity.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I hadn't known that about printing greens! That's a bit of a shame. I wonder how people get around that in really earthy printings and such.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

PamelaSteele wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 20:14 Has anyone else noticed the most popular decks are borderless or have a minimum width to the border? I like the tiny gold trim around the images. I would go with the greys and the gold line border next to the picture. If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a gold "style" and do the text to match the gold trim.
I think we can't go totally borderless because we need somewhere to put the name of the card, and I think that has to be a neutral space like a border. I also think that for the deck to be easily usable, we'll need to put the name on every card, including the minors, because of the wide variety of depictions of the individual suits.

That said, I wish I'd made the border a little less wide. I will try to tweak it some while maintaining the aspect ratio of the art. Let me see what I can do. The next deck we can go for something less bordered. Although I think that having a border all the way around the art (as opposed to just a banner across the bottom for example) lends a much needed consistency and unifying element. It makes them look like "a deck of cards" as opposed to a bunch of beautiful but disconnected images printed on card-size paper.

And, I agree that while the art can be as free and original as it wants, the frame and text need to remain subdued and in the background. I will try out the gold letters. That might be nice to match the font to that little inner frame.

I am personally still torn between the grey and the lighter frame. They have very different effects.
The grey really recedes into the background and seems to push the art forward. The lighter frame does the opposite, but it also sort of "brightens up" everything.

And as Pamela suggested, the grey could be improved by uniting the font colour with the inner gold frame.

03 Cups.png
03 Cups.png

05 Hierophant IP.png
05 Hierophant IP.png

12 Hanged Man.png
12 Hanged Man.png

18 The Moon 2 IP.png
18 The Moon 2 IP.png
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

If I keep my gaze on the cards for some time, after a while, the grey borders almost make me feel a bit "heavy", a bit sad. Not really, but that kind of feeling.

With the lighter more golden frames, I feel sort of happy and contented. More peaceful like.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

AstralPasta wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 04:52 I hadn't known that about printing greens! That's a bit of a shame. I wonder how people get around that in really earthy printings and such.
Basically you go around it by printing another hue But your grass green? :mrgreen:

Return to “Button Soup Tarot”