This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Thoth majors

A place for beginners and experienced alike to delve into the Mysteries of Tarot's most enigmatic deck.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussions regarding the study and appreciation the the Thoth Tarot.
Nemia
Sage

Thoth majors

Post by Nemia »

What are your favorite Thoth majors, and which majors are difficult for you?

I have a sentimental love for Lust/Strength which was an important card in the first reading I ever got, back in the early Eighties when I knew nothing about tarot. When years later I bought my first deck and discovered Lust, the never-forgotten card, I was so happy. This energy is so wonderful, and I need her in my life. The transformation of the traditional gentle maiden of fortitude to an exuberant Babalon is wonderful.

Cosmic-Lion-Goddess_campbell 1000 faces page 235.jpg

Some years ago, I found this illustration of a cosmic lion goddess in one of Joseph Cambell's books. I wonder so much whether Frieda Harris knew this picture. I didn't find much information about this image.

Over the years, I found some iconographic patterns for the triumphant woman riding a lion.

Lust Burgkmair_whore_babylon_color.jpg
Burgkmair's illustration of the New Testament shows the whore of Babylon, seen through Christian eyes of fear.

Lust William Blake WhoreofBabylon.jpg
Lust William Blake WhoreofBabylon.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
William Blake's interpretation of the same motif, with Blake ingenuity and depth.

Really, the amalgamation of the two motifs, the cardinal virtue of Fortitude with the denigrated whore of Babylon, was a stroke of genius and maybe one of the masterpieces of the deck.

Other cards I identify with are the Empress and Art/Temperance. The Empress is closer to the traditional Empress image, with alchemical additions that bind her to the other alchemical trumps.

The transformation of Temperance to Art is interesting, and I think that a possible iconographic source may be found in Gichtel's mystical musings about human nature.

art and gichtel.jpg

To the left, the "natural" human being connected to the planets and the cosmos, to the right the "re-born" human with Christian associations. Typical for Crowley to go all the way with the "natural" human ;-)

There is also a possible iconographical connection to the famous antique Artemis/Diana of Ephesos -

art Artemis_of_Ephesus, 1st c. CE Roman copy.jpg

and even more so to Rubens' version of this godess:

art diana of ephesus rubens detail.jpg
art diana of ephesus rubens detail.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Artemis/Diana, the goddess of the hunt, would suit very well because of the association with the arrow - a central symbol of the trump, connecting Yesod with Tif'eret on the Middle Pillar of the Tree of Life, and also obviously through the name of the associated astrological sign Sagittarius. Sagitta is the arrow in Latin.

And how nice that Sagittarius is mutable Fire - Fire able and willing to change. Just look at the image. Fire and Water are willing to change.

I didn't research the topic but over the years, when I met such images, like Gichtel and Rubens, I took note and collected them :-) and they made me love these cards even more. Wish I had the time to find out more about the art historical knowledge of Crowley and Harris - I'm sure they knew Blake, probably Crowley knew Gichtel, and the Diana of Ephesos statue is very well known. What a pity I don't know whether they were aware of Rubens' version....
velvetina
Seer

Re: Thoth majors

Post by velvetina »

It's tricky to pick a favourite Major Arcana (although the Star is probably the winner) but I can easily tell you which is my least favourite!

:evil: it won't let me upload it's image! :roll:

Anyways, its The Lovers.

I think that - aesthetically- it's clumsy. It always feels to me as if Lady Harris had bitten off more than she could chew (or, more probably, Mr. Crowley was pushing her to make inclusions that were incompatible with style!).

It's. Just. Too. Much.
Too. Many. Symbols.

Those ominous looming hands!

It's not that I don't understand what it all means (in various levels of understanding) it's just that I think its ugly! :shock:
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Lust, The Emperor, and The Devil
Start strong
End stronger
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

The Star

Just beautiful.
BlackTarotCards
Seeker

Post by BlackTarotCards »

velvetina wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 12:15 It's tricky to pick a favourite Major Arcana (although the Star is probably the winner) but I can easily tell you which is my least favourite!

:evil: it won't let me upload it's image! :roll:

Anyways, its The Lovers.

I think that - aesthetically- it's clumsy. It always feels to me as if Lady Harris had bitten off more than she could chew (or, more probably, Mr. Crowley was pushing her to make inclusions that were incompatible with style!).

It's. Just. Too. Much.
Too. Many. Symbols.

Those ominous looming hands!

It's not that I don't understand what it all means (in various levels of understanding) it's just that I think its ugly! :shock:
I don't care for the Thoth version of the Lovers either and agree that the imagery seems overworked.
Parzival
Seer

Post by Parzival »

The Thoth Wheel of Fortune and Aeon are remarkable works of art and storehouses of esoteric content which can correspond to Crowley's indications and to one's own meditations on dimensions of reality. Also, I appreciate Nema's parallel artistic images which move Thoth into wide historic and aesthetic contexts. More,please!
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

Well you all have great taste as some of my favorite Thoth majors (lust, fortune, art, aeon) got a mention. But I have to add Hermit, Death, Moon, and Universe. I could never pick a favorite but could probably pick oh maybe ten favorites or at least those eight :)
~ I enter as a hawk; I come out as a phoenix in the morning. Pert-em-hru

Return to “Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot”