This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Gilt Edge Decks Flakey?

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Gilt Edge Decks Flakey?

Post by Joan Marie »

Can anyone tell me their experience with gilt edged decks?

Mainly I have a question regarding when the deck is new. Is it normal/common for there to be some degree of flakiness that appears like fine glitter that sticks a bit to the cards, and even your hands?

Does it eventually "settle down" and stop doing this?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Myperception
Sage

Re: Gilt Edge Decks Flakey?

Post by Myperception »

I came across these due to the new deck, or asian countries weather is hot, humid and wet caused it. I applied some baby powder on the card when shuffling, and use the deck more often. It did reduce and slowly stop the problem.
Hedera
Seer

Post by Hedera »

It really depends on the printer!

The Ostara (Schiffer) did leave quite a bit of glitter; I suspect it will go away with use, but as I rarely if ever use it, I can't say for sure. ;)

The Fountain (both self-published and the later mass market one) had maybe 4 or 5 particles come off, but that stopped after a few shuffles; I think it's going to be one of those decks that ages very gracefully.

Decks like the Baba Studios ones with gilt edges, or the Numinous, don't even shed one single bit of glitter.

Do you have any particular deck in mind?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Hedera wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 13:01 It really depends on the printer!
--
Do you have any particular deck in mind?
I think you might be right about that. Although the equipment they all use is similar or even the same, how they use it may be another question.

I just had a test deck printed with gilt edging and it looks really nice, and the flaking stopped after a bit of use and does not seem to have impacted the look of the cards. it was very minor but still.. glitter is an insidious substance. It's the one place I really agree with Doreen Virtue, glitter is from the devil. 🔥🔥🔥

I just contacted the printer to inquire about the exact substance the gilt Is made of. I just replied to another post about my stance on plastic cards being an unnecessary use of plastic adding to the world problem and it made me wonder about this gilt edging and if it doesn't have some plastic component.

I do like how it looks and it fits well with the theme of this deck I'm making and although it would be disappointing, I really would seriously reconsider using that feature if it is in fact plastic based.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”