This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Overheard on a French tarot forum

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Diana
Sage

Overheard on a French tarot forum

Post by Diana »

I was looking at some old threads on a now more or less defunct French tarot forum. I didn't find much of import but I wanted to report one thing I read. It seemed to have been quite a popular forum at the time - I have heard it being spoken of a couple of times. I've never been a member of French forums and they've never attracted me.

What I read really shows the divide between the French speaking tarot world and the Anglo Saxon tarot world.

A person asked : "I'm new to the tarot. I was given an old deck by someone but there's no box and no booklet. Can you tell me what it is ? It has a suit with "pentacles".

Answer : "Absolutely no idea. It's probably an American deck with little esoteric interest". The others who answered also didn't know.

There are really two worlds going on. And sometimes they are even oblivious to the other.

It's curious isn't it ? I too had no idea when I started studying the Tarot that there were traditions other than the TdM. I was really surprised.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Belenus
Seer

Re: Overheard on a French tarot forum

Post by Belenus »

Diana wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:55
It's curious isn't it ? I too had no idea when I started studying the Tarot that there were traditions other than the TdM. I was really surprised.
And I, being a resident of the U.S., getting my first tarot deck at age 13 (surreptitiously because of my religiously conservative parents) had one choice and one choice only at that time - the RWS. This deck (and the countless clones I bought thinking I would remedy the situation) was one of the greatest hindrances and blockages to my study of the tarot. I hated the deck (and its clones). Its images turned me off, and did not speak to me. Further, I felt the scenic pips were like an iron-reinforced straight-jacket on my mind and imagination and intuition. I kept thinking, and sadly believing, that it was me that was wrong, stupid, ineffectual.

When I finally saw my first TdM (unfortunately years later) I was thrown off my horse: that old crippled sway-backed nag of the RWS that I had been stumbling along with - and my eyes were suddenly opened. I who was once blind - could now see!!! The transformation was nothing short of astounding. Now everything fell into place, and made sense! I had come home!

To this day I now number my life as B.TdM. and A.TdM.

Happily,
Belenus
"vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit"
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Belenus wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 20:42

To this day I now number my life as B.TdM. and A.TdM.

There are born again Christians and born again Tarotists I suppose. At least that's what I understand from your post!

Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:55 A person asked : "I'm new to the tarot. I was given an old deck by someone but there's no box and no booklet. Can you tell me what it is ? It has a suit with "pentacles".

Answer : "Absolutely no idea. It's probably an American deck with little esoteric interest". The others who answered also didn't know.
That response seems really dismissive, doesn't it? The person says they have no idea yet assumes it has no esoteric interest because it's not TdM, not something they are familiar with or particularly fond of so "pffft."

Of course people have their preferences, but I think we can agree that the community is big and diverse and we can still at least show some interest in what others are into or curious about. If not, why even comment? Just to piss on someone's journey?

The Tarot de Marseille is indeed a beautiful and rich tradition that one can happily devote a lifetime of study and practice to. And then there is RWS, and Thoth and countless others that are loved and used by many people here on this forum and out in the world.

We don’t have to always agree, but we should always remember the spectacular diversity of our community when we comment and express our opinions and preferences. I think that's what we all strive to do here.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 15:45

That response seems really dismissive, doesn't it? The person says they have no idea yet assumes it has no esoteric interest because it's not TdM, not something they are familiar with or particularly fond of so "pffft."

I agree that it was a very silly remark. The forum itself was a bit silly and didn't attract people who were knowledgeable. I just noted it as it struck me how oblivious the two worlds can be to each other.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”