This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Prodigal Sun

Explore the philosophical and existential questions of life with the Tarot. Jump into an ongoing conversation or start a new one!
chiscotheque
Sage

Re: belle epoch

Post by chiscotheque »

dodalisque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:10 Shakespeare says somewhere that an idea can be turned inside-out as easily as a glove... We all know that the actual author of the plays was Edward de Vere the 17th Earl of Oxford.
Oxford was not unaccustomed to gloves. in fact, he gave a special pair he had made in Italy to Queen Elizabeth when he returned from the continent (cf. Troilus & Cressida). Travel wasn't something the Stratford man did, nor does a putative first-hand knowledge of pigskin compare to detailed knowledge of medicine, science, botany, history, geography, languages, etc. especially when the questionable man in question owned no books and was likely illiterate.

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Diana wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 19:50 "exit, pursued by a bear". I think this is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in the world and I never tire of it. I'm laughing out loud while I write this. It's even better than your time traveller joke which still makes me chortle each time I think of it.
Yes, I agree with you, and I wonder why it's so funny. An exit is usually an established avenue of retreat - and the fact that it is a Latin word makes it sound even more formal - but when a bear is chasing you I doubt decorum is at the top of your list of priorities. Is that it? Maybe "pursued" sounds a little over-methodical too. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's better that way. There are very few stage directions in Shakespeare plays and this one seems as though it is completely unnecessary. He's hardly going to sit down and have a chat with the bear, is he?

Roald Dahl ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "James and the Giant Peach") tells a story in his autobiography about an incident from his childhood in South Africa when a servant ran past him screaming, "A lion is eating the wife of the cook". The slightly stilted English affects me in much the same way as "exit, pursued by bear".
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

chiscotheque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:21
at the threat of calling you wrong yet again, i'll just suggest you are perfectly imprecise.
Does this stem from a wish to be polite chiscotheque ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

chiscotheque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:21 Jung's collective unconscious may indeed mean nothing, but to say because of it we all agree with each other is akin to saying, since we are all made up of atoms, we are all the same person at core. further, the more conscious we become - or individuated to use Jungle jive - the more individual and less like the collective we become.
Absolutely. There's the paradox. The notion of atoms is just a metaphorical concept anyway.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

dodalisque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:37

Yes, I agree with you, and I wonder why it's so funny. An exit is usually an established avenue of retreat - and the fact that it is a Latin word makes it sound even more formal - but when a bear is chasing you I doubt decorum is at the top of your list of priorities. Is that it? Maybe "pursued" sounds a little over-methodical too. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's better that way. There are very few stage directions in Shakespeare plays and this one seems as though it is completely unnecessary. He's hardly going to sit down and have a chat with the bear, is he?
Oh, it's also funny because of the comma. Remove the comma and it's not funny anymore. A bit like the antici....... pation of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOEnbXmnGc

And the "pursued" is hilarious. If it had read "chased by a bear" no-one would laugh. The whole thing is just funny from the first word to the last.

Roald Dahl ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "James and the Giant Peach") tells a story in his autobiography about an incident from his childhood in South Africa when a servant ran past him screaming, "A lion is eating the wife of the cook". The slightly stilted English affects me in much the same way as "exit, pursued by bear".
That too is very funny !!!! 🤣
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

chiscotheque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:27
dodalisque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:10 Shakespeare says somewhere that an idea can be turned inside-out as easily as a glove... We all know that the actual author of the plays was Edward de Vere the 17th Earl of Oxford.
Oxford was not unaccustomed to gloves. in fact, he gave a special pair he had made in Italy to Queen Elizabeth when he returned from the continent (cf. Troilus & Cressida). Travel wasn't something the Stratford man did, nor does a putative first-hand knowledge of pigskin compare to detailed knowledge of medicine, science, botany, history, geography, languages, etc. especially when the questionable man in question owned no books and was likely illiterate.
Mentioning the "Stratford Shakespeare" was like prodding one of those bears with a stick to see if it's awake.
Diana
Sage

Re: The Prodigal Sun

Post by Diana »

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Diana wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:44 Oh, it's also funny because of the comma. Remove the comma and it's not funny anymore.
Thanks for that. When I first wrote out the phrase, mistakenly without the comma, I knew there was something wrong but couldn't quite figure out what. You're good!
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

dodalisque wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:41 Absolutely. There's the paradox. The notion of atoms is just a metaphorical concept anyway.
this is that tendency I warned about elsewhere, to relativize everything. a reductio ad absurdum that makes everything equal so that the person espousing it is no longer wrong, since being wrong is no different than being right.

Diana - "exit, pursued by a bear" is of course explicitly referenced in the Shakespeare Tarot. on the Fool Card is Shakespeare's first fool, Launce, and his last, Autolycus - the latter from Winter's Tale which is where the stage direction comes from. Here, Launce's sleeping dog Crab becomes the bear pursuing Autolycus.
fool sans.jpg
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Diana wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 07:10
Sounds almost like you're talking of the Christ itself. For the Roman Catholics, does the Holy Ghost represent the Christ ? I've never really understood this three fold nature, this Trinity.
i don't know if anyone quite understands it. the holy ghost seems to be christ's gift to man - a promise he made that he (god) would interact directly with man in a way heretofore unseen - perhaps as some contrition on god's part, an admittance of how hard it is to be human. it may be useful to think of the male trinity as a version of the female trinity, variously described but basically comprised of virgin, lover, mother. the exact station or title of each manifestation is blurred and confused, which i believe is due to an overlap with the virgin or maiden one desires after, as with the troubadors, and then who becomes the lover who becomes pregnant and hence a mother. the mother, however, is both the mother of the tacit subject - as in the lovers card - and the lover who becomes a mother, which is to say crone. in the same way, the father is the son and vice versa, and yet they are separate. the roles these aspects play are different, but roughly speaking the father is consort or coefficient of the mother, the son is consort with the lover (wife, mary magdalene, Logos & Sophia), and the holy ghost is a variant of the maiden. these latter 2 are less connected to the male/female devision of the other aspects - the holy ghost is not properly speaking "male" just as the virgin is not properly speaking "female" - she is innocent of such things, if you will, above beyond and uninterested by these matters, as is a youth or a goddess such as artemis.

sidebar: as you may know, proponents of mary magdalene as the consort of christ argue that christ was totally a man (the "totus" declaration from the council of chalcedony), and so for him not to experience human sexuality and non-platonic love would be short of "total' and hence tantamount to blasphemy. as i have said elsewhere, christians have worked in this very concept of a female trinity with the 3 marys - the mother, (madonna) the lover (magdalene), and the youth (sometimes called salome, although john sometimes seems to be arguing that he is the androgynous youth). although the church would like to sum it all up with christ's mother, being virgin, mother, and crone - no mention of lover. the actual name for mary is miriam, suggesting the jewish myth of miriam's well. magdalene's sacred day is May 1, or May day, the pagan celebration of fecundity and eros. the may pole is certainly phallic, and the dance aound it intertwining red and white is a symbolic representation of the interweaving of male and female, the semen and the blood, the bread and the wine. the virgin queen Elizabeth loved may day celebrations, but was eventually pursuaded by puritans on her privy council to ban it. many trists occurred in bowers, where a may day queen or simply a woman claiming to be maid marian would bed down with a would-be robin hood. may illegitimate babies were so born in this very hardy-esque ritual (many named Hood or Hudson etc. as a result). i mention this because robin hood/maid marian, directly connected to may day, are also directly connected to mary/miriam/marian magdalene and frazer & grave's idea of the sacrificial king, told in the language of everyday people. note, she is the only woman considered one of the merry men (apostles); indeed, the "merry" men are mary's men. we might also note that maid marian is captive of the evil prince john, a la sophia prunikos and the tradition that magdalene was a prostitute. she is also captive of the sherriff of nottingham which, along with robin and his outlaws, suggests the authorities are corrupt and misguided: ie the church. originally, marian was a shephardess, hence the maiden artemis figure of the forest and moon. she of course became the lover figure of robin hood, and there is also tales of her as a crone.

chiscotheque
Sage

exit, pursued by bereshit

Post by chiscotheque »

Diana wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 19:50 🐻
the first word in the bible is bereshit, which is to say the bible begins (as it means to proceed) with the letter bet, or beth, the number of the papess. the first letter, the aleph, is absent, or - symbolizing god - is ineffable. in gnosticism, the first emanation of god (the monad) is sophia. remember how yahweh breathed on clay to make man? the gnostics claim yahweh was a child of sophia who, ignorant of the truth, thought he was god - he was the builder or demiurge of the physical world. when he made man, sophia tricked him into breathing into man, thereby trapping a bit of the breath (spirit, pneuma) derived from the true god in mankind. beth means house - the physical world wherein lies the breath. home is where the heart is, and god's breath in man is his soul. as with the allegorical story of her role between god and yahweh, sophia is the medium between god and man, akin to the holy spirit. sophia is the consort of the Logos, the christ, therefor is the gift of god - the comforter or paraclete - and an aspect of god. the union of logos and sophia occurs in the bridal chamber, allegory of the soul in it's "house" united with the spirit. as waite makes clear, the HP awaits the fulfillment of the covenent between man and god which is to say her liberation, like persephone in hades and the soul in the body. the magician is the outside body, made of the elements, the papess is the inner, the soul, made from god. an islamic adage has it that god is nearer to us than the jugular. here, in beth, he's breathing down our necks, closer than the juggler.

_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Just a couple of words here:

The picture referred to by Diana is likely the illustration found in Georg Gichtel’s work Theosophia Practica. see here:

Secondly, panse is still heard in French, both as a verb and as a noun. (Listen to Jacques Brel’s Amsterdam), though presumably not as commonly as before. (Perhaps it is a regional thing?)

Graves removed the brief section on Tarot from later editions of the White Goddess, but Grevel Lindop added it to his introduction to the most recent edition. It doesn’t seem like Graves considered it all that accurate or essential, in the final analysis.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 03:25 Graves removed the brief section on Tarot from later editions of the White Goddess, but Grevel Lindop added it to his introduction to the most recent edition. It doesn’t seem like Graves considered it all that accurate or essential, in the final analysis.
if Graves had applied that standard to all of his writings, nothing would remain.

_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

chiscotheque wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 05:37
_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 03:25 Graves removed the brief section on Tarot from later editions of the White Goddess, but Grevel Lindop added it to his introduction to the most recent edition. It doesn’t seem like Graves considered it all that accurate or essential, in the final analysis.
if Graves had applied that standard to all of his writings, nothing would remain.
I have no horse in this race, but I will point out that Graves is chiefly remembered as a poet, novelist and translator, that is what the bulk of his writings are at any rate. If you are only referring to the White Goddess, well, I am sure other members might find that debatable, but either way, it has its place - like Frazer's Golden Bough before it - in a certain genre of poetic mythography.
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

dodalisque wrote:
The coloured confetti on La Maison Dieu could be coins from the treasure chest kept in a tax haven in the store-room at the top of the tower.
In a nutshell, that was more or less Court de Gébelin's interpretation, taken from the story of Rhampsinit in Herodotus, and Aristophanes' play Plutus. (Perhaps I overlooked something earlier?)
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 05:46 If you are only referring to the White Goddess, well, I am sure other members might find that debatable, but either way, it has its place - like Frazer's Golden Bough before it - in a certain genre of poetic mythography.
i didn't mean to offend you R, i was just having some fun at Dodalisque's expense.

_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

chiscotheque wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 06:57
_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 05:46 If you are only referring to the White Goddess, well, I am sure other members might find that debatable, but either way, it has its place - like Frazer's Golden Bough before it - in a certain genre of poetic mythography.
i didn't mean to offend you R, i was just having some fun at Dodalisque's expense.
No offence taken at all.

To return to the idea of Shakespeare and the Tarot, French readers will want to take a look at Shakespeare dans Les Tarots et autres lieux by Jean-Marie Lhôte, who is one of the most insightful, inventive and engaging authors on the Tarot ever, bar none. It is a terrible shame his work has gone completely overlooked in English. In fact, it is to him we owe the idea that the Maison-Dieu represents the fall of the pagan idols in the flight from Egypt episode of the Bible (later examined by JMD here: http://www.fourhares.com/tarot/XVI/Marseille%20XVI.html).

In English, not connected to the Tarot as such, there are the remarkable lectures by Martin Lings, of which two books were published (although some of the plays are dealt with twice, the text is different): Shakespeare's Window Into the Soul/The Secret of Shakespeare/The Sacred Art of Shakespeare (same book, different editions), and To Take Upon Us the Mystery of Things. Some excerpts from the former and recordings of the latter works are available online here: https://www.themathesontrust.org/authors/martin-lings
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 03:25
The picture referred to by Diana is likely the illustration found in Georg Gichtel’s work Theosophia Practica.
It's very similar, but it's not that. The one I'm thinking of doesn't have writing on it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm still looking out for it, but no longer hunting. I'm sure it'll turn up.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

_R_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 06:35
dodalisque wrote:
The coloured confetti on La Maison Dieu could be coins from the treasure chest kept in a tax haven in the store-room at the top of the tower.
In a nutshell, that was more or less Court de Gébelin's interpretation, taken from the story of Rhampsinit in Herodotus, and Aristophanes' play Plutus. (Perhaps I overlooked something earlier?)
Well, coins from a treasure chest would fit with those who are still hoping to find Templar connections to the Maison Dieu.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

chiscotheque wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 19:10

i don't know if anyone quite understands it. the holy ghost seems to be christ's gift to man - a promise he made that he (god) would interact directly with man in a way heretofore unseen -
I wonder then what the christ is. As I would have thought that it is the christ that is God's gift to man if we're using this kind of language.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Just to add something to a possible connection to the seven chakras from Eastern traditions and a mention of these in scriptures.

It is said in the canonical Bible that Jesus cast out seven demons from Mary Magdelene. In the Gospel of Mary (non canonical), she actually describes these seven demons :

The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven powers of wrath.

As it is often suggested that Jesus spent many years in India/Nepal studying with masters there, and if this is the case, he would have been aware of chakras.
Diana
Sage

Re: exit, pursued by bereshit

Post by Diana »

chiscotheque wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 19:13 an islamic adage has it that god is nearer to us than the jugular. here, in beth, he's breathing down our necks, closer than the juggler.
Tennysson speaks of this too when he says that (god) is closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet.

Juggler ? Do you mean jugular ? Or are you talking about the Magician/Bateleur/Juggler ?
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Diana wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 09:18
chiscotheque wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 19:10

i don't know if anyone quite understands it. the holy ghost seems to be christ's gift to man - a promise he made that he (god) would interact directly with man in a way heretofore unseen -
I wonder then what the christ is. As I would have thought that it is the christ that is God's gift to man if we're using this kind of language.
i suppose it depends on what we mean by the Christ.
if we mean christ jesus, the son of god and sole salvation of man's sins, then in a christian sense the christ (messiah) was a gift of god by god and from god to man.
if, however, the christ means a spiritual entity involved in each human's life in a personal way, that's something different and rather akin to the holy spirit.
if, by christ, we mean what many gnostics meant, the christ is a state of awakening akin to nirvana; one attains it through spiritual practice, but also through the grace of god - that is, it is ordained to the elect.(consider John 14:12 - Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.)

these latter 2 ideas may be connected, suggesting that the holy spirit is available to everyone (the so-called "prostitute" aspect of sophia), while the christ is a matter of degrees - we can all access god's love and aid but not all of us can become enlightened or spiritual masters. this way of thinking (gnostic) is informed by the deep connection or syzygy between logos (word, mind, perfection,) and sophia (wisdom, grace, completion). the 2 are consorts, like shiva and devi - aspects of each other. complicating this is the idea that sophia is also the first emanation of god and our mother, therefore she is jesus christ's mother also, hence she is both mother and lover - or bride, iterated on the lovers card in ways, with the groom's mother, and with venus and her son; this is a recurring trope in mythology, such as Tammuz and the sacrificial king. that sophia is both the mother aspect of god and the holy spirit, and that she is the consort of the christ (the logos) and the mother is very similar - indeed a variation - of the complexity of the trinity, where the christ is both the son of god AND god, manifesting as the son of man and yet pre-existent with god from the beginning.

of course, it is important to remember these are stories to facilitate our understanding of something which is not otherwise fully understandable to us - we are using what scraps we find around our humble home to describe the entire universe.

chiscotheque
Sage

Re: exit, pursued by bereshit

Post by chiscotheque »

Diana wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 09:38 Juggler ? Do you mean jugular ? Or are you talking about the Magician/Bateleur/Juggler ?
yes, Diana. it was a pun on the magician, the proximity of that card to the papess as an example of the difference between the significance of the 2 cards - the vain juggler being the physical body (jugular vein) and the papess being the soul, the spirit, the sacred heart, the metaphysical, the holy of holies, etc.

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

chiscotheque wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 16:34
i suppose it depends on what we mean by the Christ.
if we mean christ jesus, the son of god and sole salvation of man's sins, then in a christian sense the christ (messiah) was a gift of god by god and from god to man.
if, however, the christ means a spiritual entity involved in each human's life in a personal way, that's something different and rather akin to the holy spirit.
if, by christ, we mean what many gnostics meant, the christ is a state of awakening akin to nirvana; one attains it through spiritual practice, but also through the grace of god - that is, it is ordained to the elect.(consider John 14:12 - Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.)
Oh, I see. Well, it's funny to refer to Jesus as the Christ. Jesus as Christ perhaps, but THE Christ ? This would imply that there has only ever been one and never will again and no-one else should dare ever attempt the same trick. That's a sad prospect. And Christ predates Christianity doesn't it ? Surely Krishna and Christ are related terms. The story of Krishna bears many similarities to the Jesus story. I believe the two words are not of the same etymology, but still... they sound oddly similar.

Paul wrote "I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me". It's unlikely that a living Jesus was living in him, sort of like a little alien. 👽
these latter 2 ideas may be connected, suggesting that the holy spirit is available to everyone (the so-called "prostitute" aspect of sophia), while the christ is a matter of degrees - we can all access god's love and aid but not all of us can become enlightened or spiritual masters. this way of thinking (gnostic) is informed by the deep connection or syzygy between logos (word, mind, perfection,) and sophia (wisdom, grace, completion). the 2 are consorts, like shiva and devi - aspects of each other. complicating this is the idea that sophia is also the first emanation of god and our mother, therefore she is jesus christ's mother also, hence she is both mother and lover - or bride, iterated on the lovers card in ways, with the groom's mother, and with venus and her son; this is a recurring trope in mythology, such as Tammuz and the sacrificial king. that sophia is both the mother aspect of god and the holy spirit, and that she is the consort of the christ (the logos) and the mother is very similar - indeed a variation - of the complexity of the trinity, where the christ is both the son of god AND god, manifesting as the son of man and yet pre-existent with god from the beginning.
To what extent I wonder were the cardmakers of the Tarot of Marseilles influenced by gnostic ideas. To some extent I would assume they were. But I don't think they were gnostics as such.

Which doesn't mean to say that understanding gnosticism cannot assist us in understanding the Tarot. I think we need to explore everything that could have gone on in the heads of those guys.

Return to “Plato's Cave”