This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Best Tarot Review Sites

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Best Tarot Review Sites

Post by Joan Marie »

Big publishing houses are able to keep a stash of decks just for the purpose of sending them out to reviewers. It's a lot harder for Indie creators to do this because of the cost.

There are some reviewers who buy decks and then review them but there are many who require a free deck to be sent.

Indie creators have to choose carefully who they send a free deck to.

Can any of you recommend any reviewer(s) whose review actually upped your sales?

Also, which reviewers do you pay the most attention to as a buyer, who you consider a good source of information about new decks?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Merrick
Sage

Re: Best Tarot Review Sites

Post by Merrick »

As a buyer, Benebell Wen is one of the reviewers I explicitly trust. Also Tom Benjamin on YouTube.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Merrick wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:36 As a buyer, Benebell Wen is one of the reviewers I explicitly trust. Also Tom Benjamin on YouTube.
I second those recommendations.

Just off the top of my head,I would also like to suggest:

Nobody Here YouTube

The Hermit’s Cave YouTube

Tarot Oculus YouTube
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Papageno wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:15
Merrick wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:36 As a buyer, Benebell Wen is one of the reviewers I explicitly trust. Also Tom Benjamin on YouTube.
I second those recommendations.

Just off the top of my head,I would also like to suggest:

Nobody Here YouTube

The Hermit’s Cave YouTube

Tarot Oculus YouTube
Yes, I love all three of those channels as well!
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
BlueStar
Sage

Post by BlueStar »

My favourite reviewer on YouTube is The Truth in Story. She does excellent in depth reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJIs9u ... 8EA/videos
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

BlueStar wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 18:44 My favourite reviewer on YouTube is The Truth in Story. She does excellent in depth reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJIs9u ... 8EA/videos
Yep, I forgot about her......she's good.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Venus Rising
Seer

Post by Venus Rising »

Some of my favourite tarot reviewers are:

Tarot Map

The Hermit’s Cave

The Truth in Story
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

- Bruce Lee
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

it depends on how you want your deck to be reviewed. there are loads of youtube channels that do walkthroughs of decks without much in depth commentary or supportive criticism/ feedback, i stopped watching them because i find them boring and uninspiring. One of the reasons i stopped watching hermit’s cave for example is because he adores every deck he buys and never actually seems to work with them, or discusses individual cards or card meanings or gives background on the creators. same goes for boho tarot and other popular tarot channels. but they have loads of followers so if you simply want to generate some attention for your deck you should probably send them a free copy. tarotoracle is a very active and upcoming tarotuber, his reviews are not very in depth but he does lots of readings and posts lessons, using different decks, so you might want to check him out, he seems indefatigable.... jennifer ball specializes in indie/ kickstarter decks, she was the only one not related to CoT who did a review of our button soup tarot. but she, too, does not do much more than show the cards and talk about the cardstock.

when you want serious and in depth reviews you’re better off with the already recommended channels of tom benjamin, truth in story and tarot map, they are awesome.

some other channels worth mentioning here are
oya’s girl
abundant life tarot
shamanic arawak priestess
sparkle divine tarot
these are channels that not only do more than superficial deck reviews, they also comment on how decks represent people from different cultures, which is something i would really want to be reviewed in my deck

i would also consider which regional area reviewers cater to. jules from esoteric cosmos & books is australian, lisa from supportive tarot is canadian, both do very extensive and valuable deck reviews. lisa has a series called tarot by the book, where she does readings consulting the guidebook. jules is an astrologer and has a ton of esoteric knowledge, her reviews are really well crafted and very informative. oh i almost forgot australian based katey flowers, great content. And Dan, at modern metaphysicae.... aw i could go on and on.... better stop now 😍😍😍

finally, for europe i would contact beth at her little red tarot website and shop, she is the main distributor of indie decks in europe, and she does lots of reviews on her blog, also by guest writers.

somebody mentioned Anneke at nobody here 2020 . she has a wonderful youtube channel that i really like, but she mainly reviews historical/ specially printed/ unique editions of decks, and not very often, so i wouldn’t recommend sending her any review copies.
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

stronglove wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 18:10 it depends on how you want your deck to be reviewed.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate the detail.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “The Business of Tarot”