This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Using Etsy

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Tag Jorrit
Seer

Re: Using Etsy

Post by Tag Jorrit »

Joan Marie wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 13:56

One thing that is really starting to bite though is all the fees with transferring money and changing currency etc. I'm trying to work that out to everyone's best advantage. I've learned some interesting things for example, using paypal, if I change euros to dollars before I send them it's cheaper than if I send euros to be converted on the other end. And this all through paypal. They have different currency exchange rates depending on the type of transaction. On larger amounts the difference is substantial. I learned this by accident.

We are both playing it by ear and seeing what works out and what doesn't. It's the first time she has done this as well. When I get a handle on the ins and outs I'll share the results here. If I can get it running smoothly I'd love to do more of it.
I don't know whether it applies to you where you live but in USA PayPal reports income to the Internal Revenue Service at the end of the year. Ergo, one must pay tax on what was sold on Etsy. Since Etsy discontinued its sellers' use of PayPal Etsy is now handling all the transactions. Buyers pay Etsy, Etsy pay sellers directly into the sellers' bank accounts. I suspect that at the end of the year Etsy will send sales reports to the IRS for us to pay taxes.

The tax reporting to your country's income tax people could conceivably be something you need to factor into your partnership.
Cards are cards, just pieces of cardboard. What is important is the intent we give them.
Serge Pirotte
Want some antique repro cards? Visit https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

AstralPasta wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 23:46 This made me wonder about tarot garden. I don't know who runs the website but it'd be cool if there was a tarot shop online that someone ran selling decks they got for wholesale, that also earned commission off being a platform for other creator's decks, and made it available to purchase through the website and the creator could manage their little shop front through a user control panel or something (and be responsible for shipping the deck themselves, in that case).
Just stepping in quickly here re this older post, Tarot Garden was and perhaps still is but of that I'm uncertain, run by both Jeannette Roth who was the founder or possibly a co-founder of the site, who was later joined by Dan Pelletier, aka the famous and inimitable and wonderful Umbrae of AtF. As many of the finest members did, he got banned eventually of course.

Dan Pelletier/Umbrae has a great short Tarot Garden youtube video where he speaks about the tarot. It's not long and it's really well filmed too : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ONQ5xatv-4. There is another video by Jeannette (she had also been a member of AtF at one time) but I'm not linking to it. It's weird. I stopped after a minute or two. It seems she is promoting the Egyptian origin of the Tarot. But do watch Dan's video. It's like having the great Umbrae in person in your home. He also wrote The Process, on his approach to the Tarot, which was published I think as an audiobook. I'm sure one can still find it somewhere. It's unique and it's wonderful. It's Dan. He's also a 9/11 survivor - escaped death by the very skin of his teeth. (Am not revealing any secrets here - he always spoke openly about it and once he gave an interview and all which was online.)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Warning etsy is charging tax now!x,x so i've just pay5$ monthly fee for Only 1 deck i've sold for 30 euros in august?x,x wtf!
so be careful how you calculate your prices &(free) shipping?x,x
or keep your listing at minimum 1st month to see how much you will be charged for that month Before you sell out plenty of your items only to find out etsy take Big charges?x,x

eta; agree people may be unwilling to shop outside *known legit shop pages etsy/ebay/amazon that's why we need our own! :D

MJ got your conversion dilemma that's what all of us outside US struggle +stupid bank we have outside EU! :mrgreen:
you are on good track with your shop idea just keep in mind whatever fee you charge you need to cover your transaction costs 1st then to call it 1name & collect per item sold not; listing, transaction, tax, blah blah we get elsewhere!;)

Return to “The Business of Tarot”