This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Temperance - humility ?

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Diana
Sage

Temperance - humility ?

Post by Diana »

Which card represents best the concept of Humility ? Is it Temperance ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Temperance - humility ?

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 11:27 Which card represents best the concept of Humility ? Is it Temperance ?
Could it be Judgement?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

Or Hermit?
Parzival
Seer

Post by Parzival »

I don't think Temperance in versions I've seen is about humility, although the world allows us to interpret as we will. It seems to me more about combination and moderation. Which card is for humility? Possibly the Hermit as to his lack of ego. Possibly The Hanged Man in his reversing his awareness from ambition to egoless receptivity. I don't think any card is purely or only humility, since it mixes different meanings, but I just thought of the Ace of Cups as it calls us to humility before the Grail.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Parzival wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 13:19 I don't think Temperance in versions I've seen is about humility, although the world allows us to interpret as we will. It seems to me more about combination and moderation. Which card is for humility? Possibly the Hermit as to his lack of ego. Possibly The Hanged Man in his reversing his awareness from ambition to egoless receptivity. I don't think any card is purely or only humility, since it mixes different meanings, but I just thought of the Ace of Cups as it calls us to humility before the Grail.
Well, seems like there are a variety of opinions. You're right about Temperance of course. The Hanged Man you suggest could naturally imply this as humility must be needed for his activity. I think Hanged Man makes the most sense actually.

Joan Marie, what made you think of Judgement ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 15:46 Joan Marie, what made you think of Judgement ?
I guess I was thinking of just having you're soul bared, kind of the end of the line for excuses, explanations, posturing, positioning, self-congratulations or arrogance. Even shame or guilt seem self-serving in this situation.
The card has always made me think of ego-death, just being laid bare and seen, by yourself mostly, for what you are. For good and for ill.

I think with complete humility is the only way you can face that.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

That makes a lot of sense Joan Marie. Thank you.

It's the final call. As you say, one needs to be naked and also full of awe - which requires humility. In the RWS card, the people are naked. Sort of back to the original Adam and Eve before they got ashamed of their nakedness
Crying Owl
Seer

Post by Crying Owl »

In my opinion is depends who you show humility for.

Let me throw in 6 of pentacles and 6 of cups.

CO

Return to “Cards and Spreads”