This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Death & Judgement

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Libra
Sage

Death & Judgement

Post by Libra »

(I put this up on my insta, but I'm digging conversation so sharing here to see if there are any thoughts! )

I’m always going on about how Death is a transformation, but how it’s not as quick as people make it sound. Like, yes the end portion of the card can be sudden, but the woo community likes to jump right past that into how it’s making space for something new, it’s a fresh start, and I’m like … no dudes. Death isn’t ABOUT there fresh start, it’s about the Death. Don’t deny yourself feeling into that!

But, yes, transformation can come with the card. After a plant or animal dies, it decomposes and fertilizes the ground beneath it. That decomposition, that composting, it takes time. Today, it dawned on me that Judgement can really be seen as that time when you dig up what you buried in Death. In farming, at the end of the season, you chop up the crops that you haven’t harvested and you turn the earth. That’s Death. In the spring, you do that process again, bringing the soil that you buried back up, with the old crops decomposed and providing nutrients for the next crop. The transformation takes time, and Judgement can be seen as the time when you turn the soil back up, and look at the transformation that occurred.

Next time you pull Death, think about what it’s time to lay to rest. Make a note of it, and return to that when you next pull Judgement. It could be a sign that you’ve let that old stuff sit long enough to turn into something that can nurture your growth moving forward.
Attachments
20191027_170610.jpg
Intuitive tarot to inspire & empower @ www.ResonatingReadings.com
Diana
Sage

Re: Death & Judgement

Post by Diana »

Libra wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 04:34
I’m always going on about how Death is a transformation, but how it’s not as quick as people make it sound. Like, yes the end portion of the card can be sudden, but the woo community likes to jump right past that into how it’s making space for something new, it’s a fresh start, and I’m like … no dudes. Death isn’t ABOUT there fresh start, it’s about the Death. Don’t deny yourself feeling into that!
Oh I agree. All these tarot decks that replace the Death card with butterflies is sort of sickening-sweet. A spade is a spade. Death is brutal and painful. And scary too.

But, yes, transformation can come with the card. After a plant or animal dies, it decomposes and fertilizes the ground beneath it. That decomposition, that composting, it takes time. Today, it dawned on me that Judgement can really be seen as that time when you dig up what you buried in Death. In farming, at the end of the season, you chop up the crops that you haven’t harvested and you turn the earth. That’s Death. In the spring, you do that process again, bringing the soil that you buried back up, with the old crops decomposed and providing nutrients for the next crop.
This fertilisation and decomposition you speak of is hugely apparent in card 13 of the Tarot of Marseilles. The rich black earth is ideal for planting once all the weeds and old crops have been removed. In the TdM, the reaper has a corn of wheat as a spine to indicate that life will follow on to the death. It's more a sign of continuation of some sort than transformation. There is a clear indication that death is not death as we conceive of it. But in spite of this, it's brutal. It's not a "yay!!! I've pulled the death card. Oh happy days!! and then you burst into song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGDvDG ... _radio=1

Of course, the TdM card is not called Death. It doesn't have a name. In French we call it the "Arcane sans nom", the Arcanum Without a Name.

Arcane sans nom.png

The transformation takes time, and Judgement can be seen as the time when you turn the soil back up, and look at the transformation that occurred.

Next time you pull Death, think about what it’s time to lay to rest. Make a note of it, and return to that when you next pull Judgement. It could be a sign that you’ve let that old stuff sit long enough to turn into something that can nurture your growth moving forward.
That's a great observation about Judgement following the Death card. Judgement is the card of resurrection and new life and not the Death card. Although it does indicate that there will be a renewal.... later. "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.” Transformation is I think apparent in all the cards. Each one indicates the potential transformation and evolution we can heed if we wish to.

Thanks for your post !
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
spider
Seer

Post by spider »

Hi Marigold
I really enjoy reading your posts and feel I learn alot from them.
However, I must disagree with your comment that death is brutal, painful and scary. Sometimes it can be, but other times it can be quiet and peaceful. If a person has been ill, or become old and frail, it can be a release from suffering and pain.
Just felt I had to say this
Libra
Sage

Post by Libra »

spider wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 19:24 Hi Marigold
However, I must disagree with your comment that death is brutal, painful and scary. Sometimes it can be, but other times it can be quiet and peaceful. If a person has been ill, or become old and frail, it can be a release from suffering and pain.
I definitely agree here! I really dislike it when the death part of death is glossed over in favor of the "it's a fresh start!" type of interpretation, but I'm also like ... not trying to push that it HAS to mean sadness or fear or anything. All it is is Death, a final end to something. What emotions you attach top that will change depending on what is ending and what I feel is important is allowing those emotions - whatever they may be! - space to exist. Be that sadness, grief, fear or relief or any combination. Just... don't shove that away looking for the next thing to fill that gap, really!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Hi spider ! You're right of course. If the person has had time to come to terms with death, it can be peaceful. It can also be a release as you say from pain and suffering.

But there are other forms of death that the Tarot speaks of. It's pretty rare that it speaks of death as in the grim reaper type. Or else, we'd have people falling dead around us left right and centre. I think this Arcanum always brings with it some form of brutality. What I mean is that there's no tenderness about it. It won't make any concessions. You don't even have the choice to take it or leave it. You have to accept it. It's the non-acceptance that often creates difficulties. Such as someone who is unable to accept the end of a relationship. I have an acquaintance who, after her boyfriend broke up after a ten year relationship, is still, five years later, pining for him and unable to turn the page, even though she knows he will not return. It's so sad to see and so unnecessary. This kind of death is painful and scary.

Endings often bring with them their load of sorrow.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Libra
Sage

Post by Libra »

Marigold wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 20:21
Hi spider ! You're right of course. If the person has had time to come to terms with death, it can be peaceful. It can also be a release as you say from pain and suffering.

But there are other forms of death that the Tarot speaks of. It's pretty rare that it speaks of death as in the grim reaper type. Or else, we'd have people falling dead around us left right and centre. I think this Arcanum always brings with it some form of brutality. What I mean is that there's no tenderness about it. It won't make any concessions. You don't even have the choice to take it or leave it. You have to accept it. It's the non-acceptance that often creates difficulties. Such as someone who is unable to accept the end of a relationship. I have an acquaintance who, after her boyfriend broke up after a ten year relationship, is still, five years later, pining for him and unable to turn the page, even though she knows he will not return. It's so sad to see and so unnecessary. This kind of death is painful and scary.

Endings often bring with them their load of sorrow.
It's a bit of a tangent, but I have to wonder if she had a phase of "Well screw him, I'm better off as a single woman anyway, plenty of fish in the sea!" That would, to me, be a living example of this bypassing that I see in Death - and the effects of that!

None of my business, though, really...
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Libra wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 21:19

It's a bit of a tangent, but I have to wonder if she had a phase of "Well screw him, I'm better off as a single woman anyway, plenty of fish in the sea!" That would, to me, be a living example of this bypassing that I see in Death - and the effects of that!

None of my business, though, really...
Nope, none of that phase. Just heartache and tears. But it's an interesting point you bring up from a tarot perspective. If you're able to elaborate a bit more, I'd be interested.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

Yes, yes, yes...

I think it's tempting to soften this card by confusing Death, the cause, with Cause and Effect, Death and Judgement. We as readers need to let the cards tell the story. The card preceding the Death card would be the effect then.

Death is the cause. It will always hurt. Pain is necessary, suffering is optional, as the saying goes.

It is also tempting to dress Death up as something else, and I agree with the "woo-woo" effect. I really don't have patience with that, either. It may be offensive, but it really is putting lipstick on a pig. Calling it "Transformation" or something else, again is referring to the Effect, not the Cause. Of course this is my opinion only.

I also like the farming analogy. But this is dependent on the tools you have, isn't it? If you have the appropriate tools, you can can reap, turnover, and sow all with the same machine. There is no need to wait. Pull the corn up, mix up the top soil, and plant wheat in the same day. No need for waiting. This takes practice and it takes the appropriate machinery. Some are skilled at it, some are not. The same goes with people. Some are adept at change and thrive on it. Others take time to adjust.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

fire cat pickles wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 23:16
I also like the farming analogy. But this is dependent on the tools you have, isn't it? If you have the appropriate tools, you can can reap, turnover, and sow all with the same machine. There is no need to wait. Pull the corn up, mix up the top soil, and plant wheat in the same day. No need for waiting. This takes practice and it takes the appropriate machinery. Some are skilled at it, some are not. The same goes with people. Some are adept at change and thrive on it. Others take time to adjust.
They take time to adjust sometimes as you say. But sometimes they don't have the tools and/or the know-how as you also say. And the corpse, the dead matter, lies rotting and festering because it's not removed. And one tries to get rid of the smell, but there's no point - it's the corpse one has to get rid of.

In my blog on CoT, I'm making a Reversed Tarot of Marseilles. viewtopic.php?f=221&t=1996. All the cards, including the minors, are given new names - their reversed, dark and somber side. For Death, I chose the name "DECAY" and chose this picture to illustrate. What we're talking about reminds me of this reversed death and its even darker side :

13. Decay.jpg

Return to “Cards and Spreads”