This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Queen of Cups - Natl. Gallery of Art, London

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Papageno
Sage

Queen of Cups - Natl. Gallery of Art, London

Post by Papageno »

Thanks to Giordano Berti and Benebell Wen for the use of images from their respective websites for this comparison of 3 versions of the Queen of Cups from The Sola-Busca, Pamela Colman Smith's RWS Tarot and the Mystical Tarot by Giuliano Costa.

This YouTube video produced by the The National Gallery, London. provides us with insights into a painting, possibly of the Muse "Calliope" by Cosimo Tura 1430 – 1495 which is undoubtedly the inspiration for the Queen of Cups in all three decks; "Polisena" in the case of the Sola-Busca.

https://solabuscatarot1998mayer.files.w ... acoppe.jpg

Sola-Busca/RWS Polisena - Queen of Cups
Sola-Busca/RWS Polisena - Queen of Cups

https://benebellwen.files.wordpress.com ... 017-07.jpg

Mystical Tarot Queen of Cups
Mystical Tarot Queen of Cups
Mystical Tarot Queen of Cups.jpeg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
TheLoracular
Sage

Re: Queen of Cups - Natl. Gallery of Art, London

Post by TheLoracular »

I loved watching that video, Papageno.

It immediately set me to wonder if Leonello or Borso d'Este had commissioned a tarot deck - indeed the family had!
The D'Este tarot immediately came to light.

This is probably no surprise to you or the other historical tarot lovers who frequent this forum, lol. But learning the pre-RWS decks in anything but the most passing manner is something very new to me. So connecting that painting as part of a series with a pair of Renaissance nobles who had also commissioned one of the oldest "Eastern-Category B" decks was exciting.

I'm too much of a historical tarot novice to know what "Eastern-Category B" is at the moment so that will be something I go research later, the different categories for historical tarot decks.
Este Queen of Cups300.jpg
Este Queen of Cups300.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 774 times
c. 1473

The Queen of Cups from that deck doesn't make me immediately embrace the painting of the muse as its direct influence, though.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

TheLoracular wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 15:33 This is probably no surprise to you or the other historical tarot lovers who frequent this forum, lol. But learning the pre-RWS decks in anything but the most passing manner is something very new to me.
Well yeah, actually all insights, historical or otherwise are a surprise to me as well, but that's part of what makes tarot so much more meaningful and gratifying.......although the whole learning curve thing is very time consuming and daunting.

I also enjoy recognizing how the old historical decks influence some modern tarot decks......I think you'll find this especially
true of new decks created by European artists (which I suppose is only natural)....even in decks that are primarily RWS based, quite often I see the Mantegna/Visconti/ Marseille influence, which I appreciate.
But that could take up a whole new thread in itself.
TheLoracular wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 15:33 I'm too much of a historical tarot novice to know what "Eastern-Category B" is at the moment so that will be something I go research later, the different categories for historical tarot decks.
Hey, I'm a total novice also, and I was also thinking the exact same thing when I went to the website you provided (Thank you very much btw), I haven't a clue what a "Eastern-Category B" type deck/planche is.....I'll delve into it more when I have more time/energy/inclination.
It took me this long just to finally have an interest in actually educating myself about the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Marseille decks.
TheLoracular wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 15:33 The Queen of Cups from that deck doesn't make me immediately embrace the painting of the muse as its direct influence, though.
I agree, although that IS a rockin' deck.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Papageno wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 21:20
Hey, I'm a total novice also, and I was also thinking the exact same thing when I went to the website you provided (Thank you very much btw), I haven't a clue what a "Eastern-Category B" type deck/planche is.....I'll delve into it more when I have more time/energy/inclination.
It took me this long just to finally have an interest in actually educating myself about the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Marseille decks.
You are welcome! And I completely agree with you about that being a rocking deck. I am going to keep an eye out for a replica, even though my wish list is long and my deck budget for February already spent on two Indie decks currently on Kickstarter, lol.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”