This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Cat decks

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Nemia
Sage

Cat decks

Post by Nemia »

Why is it that cats are so popular on the Internet and in the tarot world? Because Internet and tarot attract introverts and individualists :lol: ?

I don't think there is another animal that can compete with the feline domestic tyrant in tarot popularity. AT lists cat-themed decks but I'm sure there are more out there...

Which is your favorite cat deck? Do the cats appear as cats (Pagan Cats, Cat Eye)? or anthropomorph (Baroque Bohemian Cats, White Cat Tarot)? or something magical in-between (Kiss)? Or do you think cat decks are horrible?

How many cat decks do you have? And do you live with real cats?

I'm a cat person and that's why I'm curious :-)

I have only two cat decks, Pagan Cats and Kissa.

pagan cats mini 3.jpg

The Pagan Cats deck is very clever but I'm not really Pagan so I connect more to the cat than to the Pagan aspect. As reading deck, it's surprisingly good, maybe because it's so close to RWS that you don't need an lwb or anything else - just read it as RWS and the associations will come. I have the mini deck, edged it in purple and keep it in a purple bag. It served me well in the Winter Solstice reading.

pagan cats mini 2.jpg

The Kissa deck was irresistible for me for many reasons. I spent many happy childhood vacations in Finland, my father loved Finland so much that he studied the language, and my first cat was called Kissa (cat in Finnish). A Finnish deck, with Finnish titles! Then, Nisaba wrote a wonderful review. I ordered it from a Finnish book store, it wasn't even difficult. And I LOVE the magical atmosphere of this deck. I love it much more than the hard-edged Pagan Cats art.

kissatarot.jpg

kissatarot fool.jpg

kissatarot box.jpg

kissatarot 2 swords.jpg

The Kissa tarot tells me less about cats and their behaviour - for that, I should probably buy the Cat's Eye deck which looks beautiful. But it tells me something about my inner world, my childhood world. The darkness and colour combinations and Finnish words - wow, I love this deck.

So tell me more about your cat decks and real cats.

PC020005.JPG

(It's an older picture, some of the cats are no longer with us - we have right now five cats, three of them black.)
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Cat decks

Post by Rachelcat »

I can't believe I missed this first time around!

Since I'm on a collection tear today, here is my list of cat decks. (Not all available by a long shot, but my keepers!)

Cat Decks (there’s a cat on every card)
Baroque Bohemian Cats’ Tarot, second edition
Black Cats Tarot
Tarot for Cats (majors)
Cat’s Eye Tarot
Chat du Marseille (majors)
I Taro Gatti (majors)
Halloween Tarot
Halloween Tarot in a Tin
Medieval Cat Tarot
Mystical Cats Tarot
Pagan Cats Tarot
I 22 Arcani Gatti Minitarocco (majors)
Tarot of White Cats
Cat Comfort Cards (oracle)

I include the Halloween decks because--there's a cat (the same black cat) on every card!

I obviously have a soft spot for Tarot for Cats (my avatar), but I think my real favorite is Mystical Cats. I have the app too, so I draw a cat of the day every day.

I'll rustle up some scans of the not-so-common decks so you can get a taste and add them here.

In the meantime, here's my bad little black cat, Sophie. She's so spoiled that I'm not allowed to have another cat. She's in charge here!

Soph.jpg

Post your favorite cat deck and favorite cat here!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Seldes Katne
Seeker

Post by Seldes Katne »

My favorite cat deck is the Spooky Cats Tarot, which I discovered through a Kickstarter campaign. The cats are anthropomorphic, and each card has to do with a Halloween activity. However, the art is very kid-friendly, so I plan to use it this year at Halloween to do readings for young folks at a friend's Halloween haunted maze this year.

Spooky Cats Tarot

I like cats, but don't actually have any (my mother has allergies). The other cat-centric(ish) deck I have is Tarot Familiars, but that only features cats on some of the cards.
alavendermoon
Seeker

Post by alavendermoon »

There are a TON of cats in the Lovely Omens tarot! <3 The entire suit of Pentacles is cats, and a few Major Arcana cards too. I love this deck so much!

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”