This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What's the Deck-Stork bringing?

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Papageno
Sage

Re: What's the Deck-Stork bringing?

Post by Papageno »

The stork just delivered "The Illuminated Earth Oracle" by Claire Mack.

This is a premium quality deck in every respect.

The cardstock is amongst the finest I've ever come across, it will exceed expectations.
The print quality is equally sumptuous, it's flawless.

Ms. Mack's breathtaking artwork and her approach to devising this oracle have resulted in a deck that's not mere eye-candy,
it's profound and intuitive.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Papageno wrote: 03 May 2020, 01:59 The cardstock is amongst the finest I've ever come across, it will exceed expectations.
The print quality is equally sumptuous, it's flawless.
Do you know what the cardstock is exactly or could you describe it somehow?

EDIT: Funny coincidence, The Illuminated Earth Oracle was the "Today's Card" when you made that post!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie wrote: 03 May 2020, 07:20 Do you know what the cardstock is exactly or could you describe it somehow?
I'm not a professional printer or artist, so I know nothing about the technical specifications of the various types of cardstocks, papers, etc., and I have no idea exactly what type of cardstock or finish she instructed her printer to use.

The Illuminated Earth Oracle cards feel substantial yet supple, the stock is a very nice gauge.

Print finish is matte with absolute minimal reflection.

The card texture feels very luxurious, somewhat silky/satiny, but with a distinct plush velour-like feel to them.

There are other decks with this type of finish, but with the Illuminated Earth Oracle, this quality seems very pronounced, more so than usual.

I'm providing a visual comparison of the Illuminated Earth Oracle (left) vs a 2016 U.S. Games printing of the Aquarian Tarot (right).

Keep in mind that the Earth Oracle deck consists of 63 cards, while The Aquarian is a standard 78 card deck.
It's obvious that the cardstock for the 63 card Oracle is far superior to that of the 78 card Aquarian.

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Papageno wrote: 03 May 2020, 09:48 The card texture feels very luxurious, somewhat silky/satiny, but with a distinct plush velour-like feel to them.
I've heard of a cardstock offered that is described as having a "skin-like" texture which sounds a little gross to me, but I wonder if you're describing the same thing but in more palatable terms.

You're description makes it sound wonderful.

I'm getting some samples sent. Thank you!!!
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Mamanmiyuki TdM

Tarot de Marseille Millennium Edition

Yves Reynaud Conver reproduction

The muted colors and sympathetic faces of the Mamanmiyuki make it unique and the cards are about playing card size so easy to hold and shuffle. There is a mini deck but this is the full size one.

The Conver is very nice, not too cleaned up but the line work is still visible under the heavier colors. It also retains the fullness of the woodblock printing style. I suspect I’ll use this one more for studying than for reading, but it’s nice to have.

The TdM Millennium Edition is a real treasure. The imagery was laid out according to principles of sacred geometry and the result is a deck that can be downright hypnotic at times. Dodalisque pointed me in the direction of this deck and at first I thought it would feel too rigid but it’s just the opposite. The images feel organic and alive and the deck almost pulsates with energy. This is going to become one of my go to decks both for reading and for pathworking/journeying.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
tarotcardlady
Seeker

Post by tarotcardlady »

Night Sun. It will be awhile before it gets here but thats ok. I am patient.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I don't know how it happened, I really didn't want to buy anything right now! but somehow, I bought the New Liminal Tarot :-) I have wanted one of Pen's decks for ages, and I'm very happy that I'm finally going to have one! It looks beautiful. It will take ages to get into my remote corner of the globe (I'm still waiting for parcels sent to me in January!) but it will arrive, and then I'll celebrate.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

The Tabula Mundi, finally, mid size! I haven't bought a deck in a long time. Also included Book M and Book of Seshet, though I don't have the Rosetta. I've heard it's good as a standalone. Excited about the size. I hope it's not too small.

Though I won't be able to really open it for a long time, until August. I've bought a very large mobile whiteboard. Part of ADHD is having a very limited working memory (RAM? I've heard someone say short term memory is different so idk anymore. Think of it as the magician's table, but mine is around half the size).

Anyway I'd been reading about tools folks use and wow. It's made such a huge difference in my life already. I was able to plan out the framework of three major goals for the next three months in conjunction with my bullet journal (a.k.a. long term memory, or the hard drive) and fancy acronyms. I'm still ironing out details but it has been a life saver already. Part of that involves the externalized reward (dopamine bomb, lmao) of three tarot decks (I'm blessed enough at the moment to afford them so I want to make sure I make this something that really counts in my life) interspersed with other little rewards to help with extrinsic motivation (not sure what - normally I'd say snacks but I'm doing a sort of fast right now. Activities I suppose?). I also want to make a vision board to help strengthen intrinsic motivation, but one thing at a time. The other decks for the other two goals are Tarot of Magical Correspondences and Dust ii Onyx travel edition. Once I iron out more details I'll buy those too, I think. Then my partner will keep them hostage from me until I meet my goals. I am excited and motivated yessss.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Nemia wrote: 23 May 2020, 18:53 I don't know how it happened, I really didn't want to buy anything right now! but somehow, I bought the New Liminal Tarot :-) I have wanted one of Pen's decks for ages, and I'm very happy that I'm finally going to have one! It looks beautiful. It will take ages to get into my remote corner of the globe (I'm still waiting for parcels sent to me in January!) but it will arrive, and then I'll celebrate.
Nemia, I've only just seen your post - I think you've made my day with your lovely words! Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long to arrive!
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

I've pre-ordered two decks: The Infernal Tarot - A 200 year old secret Tarot deck and the re-print of the Fantastic Menagerie. I can't wait!
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

fire cat pickles wrote: 24 May 2020, 11:54 I've pre-ordered two decks: The Infernal Tarot - A 200 year old secret Tarot deck and the re-print of the Fantastic Menagerie. I can't wait!
*gasp* a reprint!?!
/runs off
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Anesidora
Seer

Post by Anesidora »

I have ordered the Pokemon Tarot since the artist was selling a few extra copies. I cannot wait for it to get here! :D
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Got the Sibilla della Zingara earlier this month, along with the books Gypsy Oracle Cards by M. Jacqueline Murray and Sibilla della Zingara by Sophie Loesch.
Start strong
End stronger
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Pen wrote: 24 May 2020, 09:19
Nemia wrote: 23 May 2020, 18:53 I don't know how it happened, I really didn't want to buy anything right now! but somehow, I bought the New Liminal Tarot :-) I have wanted one of Pen's decks for ages, and I'm very happy that I'm finally going to have one! It looks beautiful. It will take ages to get into my remote corner of the globe (I'm still waiting for parcels sent to me in January!) but it will arrive, and then I'll celebrate.
Nemia, I've only just seen your post - I think you've made my day with your lovely words! Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long to arrive!
It may take ages! I had a mail from MakePlayingCards - they don't offer standard shipping to my country right now, Covid19!, and I can either pay $46.01 or wait.

I chose to wait. I'm certaint it's worth it!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Nemia wrote: 23 May 2020, 18:53

It may take ages! I had a mail from MakePlayingCards - they don't offer standard shipping to my country right now, Covid19!, and I can either pay $46.01 or wait.

I chose to wait. I'm certaint it's worth it!
$46! Goodness! :o I hope things ease up soon (on all fronts), in the meantime I guess we must all be patient.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I love the tingle of expectation - and it seems I'm going to have it for quite a while now! :-)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Nemia wrote: 27 May 2020, 10:44 I love the tingle of expectation - and it seems I'm going to have it for quite a while now! :-)
The tingle's good, as long as it doesn't go on for so long that it becomes a pain...!
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I had the first parcel from abroad for quite some time - and I had the strong desire to climb on the roof of the post office and shout to the whole world: I HAVE JUST BEEN GIFTED WITH TWO OF THE MOST AMAZING DECKS EVER!!!! but instead, I went home and cried with joy and gratefulness.

The Button Soup is an amazing deck. The original ideas people had for each card - the different styles that complement each other miraculously - the amazing production values (gold gold gold) - I'm totally wowed. Well done to each and every one of you. There is a poignancy to each card in a collaborative deck. No card is just a "oh and somehow I have to finish this suit!!!"-compromise. Each single card is the result of a true effort and inspiration and work of love. I'll write more about it later.

And the Friar's Delight is truly delightful. I love medieval manuscripts. It's a wonderful deck, and like Button Soup, looks like a gem.

Wow, sooo many times I dragged myself to the post office only to be disappointed. Today made up for everything!
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

I just put in an order for Ciro Marchetti's "Encore Tarot" and his "Grande Luxe Castle" reading cloth.

yeah, this coming from someone who doesn't use reading cloths :lol:

and I purchased these through Ciro's Etsy storefront:

Ciro Marchetti Etsy Storefront
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

So I officially have (few days now) had the following arrive to my home:
  • Dust ii Onyx travel edition
  • Naturescapes tarot
  • Tarot of Magical Correspondences
  • Tabula mundi Manus perfectus
And the following books
  • Book of Seshet
  • Book M for Tabula mundi
I've only opened the Dust ii Onyx. Which is beautiful. The rest I haven't because I'm using them as bait for myself as I've already mentioned in way too much detail 😅 ah, ADHD. All those years using Mavis Beacon to learn to type more clearly only to give word vomiting a more accessible channel.

Anyway I'm excited. Though I feel like I'm feeling done with deck buying for a long time. I'm feeling spread too thin in my interests. I'm back where I started with my wanting to learn Thoth (I have learned a lot since then tbh and my interest and attraction to the system has only grown) but also wanting to feel more confident reading with RWS. I love studying tarot but I haven't really cared about reading with it in practice but I know that's the way to mastery or at least a more visceral or deeper relationship with the card meanings.

Also I need to save money and learn math 😂 I'm going back to uni. Ive got too many hobbies ahh. Not enough time for them all. I have enough decks to study for three lifetimes I feel. It makes me feel a little unsatisfied just because I do value depth when connecting to my decks. But it's been fun too.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

AstralPasta wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 18:17 All those years using Mavis Beacon to learn to type more clearly only to give word vomiting a more accessible channel.[/size]
Mavis Beacon! I haven't thought about her in AGES!
I remember whenever I was was done with a sesh and clicked "Quit" she'd say "You want to QUIT Mavis Beacon???"
It killed me every time. It was like, "No, Mavis, i don't want to quit you but I have stuff to do 😳"

What a bunch of great decks you've got there. Don't forget to update your deck list in your profile!
That goes for everybody! (there was a glitch a while back that prevented some people from being able to update but I fixed it, so update those deck lists!) I also added a field for pronouns which is helpful.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The stork has delivered both a very elegant and luxurious Nicolas Conver 1760 - Christophe Poncet / Tarot de Marseille Heritage, in addition to a 1981 Grimaud Tarot de Marseille / French titles.

Thank you to Yves Reynaud for his efforts to procure the elusive '81 Grimaud on my behalf.

The Poncet edition of the Conver is breathtaking. I encourage TdM aficionados to seriously consider purchasing this deck.

Christophe Poncet / N. Conver
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just bought the TAROT PIERRE MADENIE VERSION 1709, from Yves as a gift for a friend and now I have to purchase one for myself. (just did)

I am becoming more and more interested in the TdM. In the past year I have bought a couple of, let's say, no so authentic versions and I liked them, they are nice, but when I saw this one I bought for a friend, something just came over me. Something about the way it felt in my hands. It was a completely different experience.

Can't wait to get mine.
Venus Rising
Seer

Post by Venus Rising »

Joan Marie wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 08:10 I just bought the TAROT PIERRE MADENIE VERSION 1709, from Yves as a gift for a friend and now I have to purchase one for myself. (just did)

I am becoming more and more interested in the TdM. In the past year I have bought a couple of, let's say, no so authentic versions and I liked them, they are nice, but when I saw this one I bought for a friend, something just came over me. Something about the way it felt in my hands. It was a completely different experience.

Can't wait to get mine.
That’s exciting! 👍😊 At some point, I’d like to being exploring TdM. There is just so much to learn between all of these different decks and styles and methods 💕

I took another break from Tarot, but am back and have been buying some more decks I certainly do not need haha. I just got the Celtic Tarot by Kristoffer Hughes, Ciro’s Gilded Tarot Royale and the Robin Wood deck and companion book. I’d like to say that’s enough for now, but oh gee, my shopping cart has more in it haha. 🤔😂😂😝
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

- Bruce Lee
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

just received the pocket next world, what an amazing and powerful deck! totally blown away by it, especially the keywords she uses. Cristy Road rocks big time!
excitedly waiting for ryan edwards’ playing marseille
ordered the afro tarot, sybil’s oraculum (by the creator of the hoodoo tarot) and tarot of the moors
also pre ordered cilla conway’s shimmering veil, no idea when that’s going to be sent out, it’s on a ship from china to the UK now....
pledged the fifth spirit tarot, will have to wait until september for that one, and by that time the reprint of the fantastic menagerie will probably also be published, yay!
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”