This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What's the Deck-Stork bringing?

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Monk
Sybil

Re: What's the Deck-Stork bringing?

Post by Monk »

pooka23 wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 00:36 I just got Le Tarot Noir yesterday, a second copy for backup/ to give to my daughter. It was less than $40.00 on amazon France for a new sealed copy. You could also still get it from Editions Vega as of last week. Google Translate worked pretty well for amazon France.
Indeed, it's just they cost 50 credits to ship :shock: :shock: :shock:
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
-Premier Principes Tarot- https://www.instagram.com/premier_principes_tarot/
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

stronglove wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 22:55 ..my french is just about good enough to understand what they write on that single page.
Hmm my French reading skills are rather poor, luckily there are apps: point your phone camera at the foreign text and the translation is superimposed over the filmed image/text.
stronglove wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 22:55 looking forward to combine the tarot noir with my deviant moon, see what they come up with together
I always wondered how people pull that off.. I find it confusing to mix decks, like driving two cars at the same time. I dont have any that really match feel wise as well. Maybe the Supra and Pagan Otherworlds by UUSI, but still.. I will however sometimes offer an additional (oracle type of) card from this deck (non Tarot)

The quotes are just so powerful!

M
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

i am super excited, because the deck stork is going to send me this beauty

the fantastic menagerie tarot has been on my wishlist for ages, and i know many other people are craving it too, but i think i like this one even better! and very affordable as well! i am over the moon!
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

I love this thread zipping by every once in a while.

I ran into this deck when browsing a Flemish dude's eBay listings. "Roi des Deniers", 1984
Flemish Tarok 1780 'Vandenborre'.

Remember in Desmonds thread there is this quote about:
Flornoy’s basic thesis is that the Tarot is a repository of the traditional knowledge recorded in graphic form of the exiled craftsmen of the Compagnonnage. Essentially, they present a record on paper of the same knowledge that was recorded in stone within the architecture of the Cathedrals
That border art in the Flemish deck reminds me of a common practise in the early days of map making and building construction design. It is the use of a dashed line border line to give scale to a drawing and provide increments within it. The lines are handy from when needing to get dimensions data from a drawing when constructing from drawings I imagine. These craftsmen (that created Tarot) seem to have left a trace in some deck designs indeed. The time frame Desmond's quote is referring to is different no doubt, still it caught my eye and made me wonder..

It seems this deck is pretty shook up compared to 'true' TdM. Cards swaps, alternative cards, name changes and mirror flip-flops. Curious. On its way to me.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

wow, thank you for pointing this out, i got my vandenborre out and looked at those borders and ‘saw’ them for the first time.... fascinating! made me think of the way archeologists catalogue their findings, always with a tiny ruler to convey the scale. i love my vandenborre because of its ‘quirkiness’, read: deviance, same with the tarot de paris. my vandenborre has 2 hanged men, one in the traditional position, one upside down (or is it right side up lol!) does yours have them too? mine is a recent reproduction by gameofhopelenormand, and i love it! pablo robledo did one too. love that guy on his horse in the sun card, bacus as the hierophant and that fire spewing diable....but the tower/ la foudre is the best! and you should see that satisfied grin on the empereur’s face...... sorry, i could go on an on about this deck hihi it is a universe in itself, the pips are interesting too with many unusual decorations and the numbers partly absent, partly in unexpected spots.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Monk wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 20:50

That border art in the Flemish deck reminds me of a common practise in the early days of map making and building construction design. It is the use of a dashed line border line to give scale to a drawing and provide increments within it. The lines are handy from when needing to get dimensions data from a drawing when constructing from drawings I imagine. These craftsmen (that created Tarot) seem to have left a trace in some deck designs indeed. The time frame Desmond's quote is referring to is different no doubt, still it caught my eye and made me wonder..

Oh my ears and whiskers !! 🐱 Someone should tell Desmond. He may not see this thread.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Pharos Tarot majors are pre-ordered and will be arriving in Feb. (I chose the borderless version. I usually like borders, but I wanted the art as large as I could get it.)
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Feeling acquisitive, so I just ordered two from Amazon:

Cat Tarot (the newer Chronicle Books one). Cute cats, what can I say . . . I held off as long as I could . . .

Inversion Tarot in a Tin. Just saw this when checking what's new on the US Games site. It's a redrawing of the Rolla Nordic deck with the black and white inverted, that is, the backgrounds are black and the lines are white. It's a pips deck with Marseilles-style majors, but by no means an historic deck (unless something from 1960 is historic!). Some of the majors are renamed (very magick-ally), and it labels "pentacles." But that's ok because the swords look like swords. I'm thinking it might be a good carry deck because it's in a tin. US Games doesn't really have any other historic or pseudo-historic decks in tins. ( Oh, except the Maria Celia, which I don't really like the look of, even though I love Lynyrd's other decks.)

Thanks for your patience with the natterings of a poorly reformed collector!

Edited to add: I forgot all about my Wiener Secession! It looks like it got lost in the mail, so Amazon is replacing, and I'll get it today, along with the kitties. And still patiently awaiting Button Soup!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

I'm waiting for the Everyday Witch oracle and Tibetan Buddhist oracle deck. I love waiting for the post, it's so exciting 😆 I'm rehoming my Moon Garden and just ebayed a few things so I don't feel too guilty, lol.

Then again it's funny how I don't spend anything on drink/tobacco etc (no moral reason, just don't enjoy it) yet I always think 'yeep, maybe I shouldn't keep getting more decks....' 😆
Natural Mystic Guide
Seer

Post by Natural Mystic Guide »

My husband travels to the U.S. next month. I hope that these two decks will be returning in his suitcase. (Mail irregularities, customs, etc. makes that kind of delivery unfeasible)

Playful Heart Tarot Deck

The Telluric Tarot

Both of these I backed on Kickstarter.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Pharos Tarot by M.M. Meleen (borderless edition)

Very Happy.

Sorry, my camera is terrible lately.

(btw the extras and card backs are beautiful, but I didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone waiting on their copy.)

Pharos1_500.jpg

Pharos2_500.jpg
Genna
Seer

Post by Genna »

Wonderful Original Cult of Tarot Deck, beautiful Friar´s Delight Lenormand (my favourite lenormand), the delightful Enchanted Forest Tarot, very beautiful too,Radiant Wise Spirit Tarot ( a deck with borderless RWS), Witches´Familiars oracle cards.
Poyta Blavatsky
Seeker

Post by Poyta Blavatsky »

Rose Lalonde wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 23:49 Pharos Tarot by M.M. Meleen (borderless edition)

Very Happy.
(btw the extras and card backs are beautiful, but I didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone waiting on their copy.)
Mine arrived today and as always Mel just reveals herself to be a superb artist. The packaging and extras are simply amazing. I plumped for all three versions and the book. Mel is quite simply a awe inspiring wonder. I feel grateful everyday that I came across her work.
Genna
Seer

Post by Genna »

I got The Burning Serpant Oracle by Robert M Place.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

this is a no buy year for me, due to having to live on a very tight budget, but i just ‘broke’ it for the second time, after watching these two reviews

i am sooooo excited about this deck!
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Healing Light Tarot - Chris Butler - Lo Scarabeo, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfJ1R26Aq0

ATA interview with Chris Butler:
http://www.atatarot.com/reflections/05- ... tarot.html

This is an ultra Photoshopped deck, and Chris Butler achieved a dreamy, light and shadow, twilight, photo negative effect that's very alluring for me.
He also decided to use silhouettes to depict many of the figures which resonated instantly with me. Silhouettes and shadow images are very powerful, a quality Butler recognized.
Just look at the famous shadow image from the silent classic: Nosferatu by F.W. Murnau:

Temperance is a male figure, a departure from the usual Rider-Waite iconography which can get a bit treacly (depending on who the artist is) and I instantly associate this interpretation with an aspect of Butler's Magician.

The Queen of Pentacles is pregnant, Yes!, finally!

The overall imagery is very dynamic, but that's not to say that it doesn't lack subtlety, at least IMHO.

On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, I just order the Tarot de Paris, André Dimanche, Les éditions SIVILIXI

http://editions-sivilixi.com/product/le ... imanche-2/

From one extreme to the other :lol:
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

i just ‘broke’ my no-buy year for the third time..... to pre-order baba studio’s fantastic menagerie tarot..... it’s been on my wishlist for ages, and even though i just bought the métamorphoses du jour, which also features grandville’s work, i just couldn’t resist the appeal of that cold-stamping, the cardstock quality and the revised guidebook.... this will be my first baba studio deck and i’m sooo excited about it, but the deck stork will have to wait until september before s/he can deliver it to my doorstep.....

https://eu.baba-store.com/collections/f ... ie-tarot-2
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The Stone Marseille Tarot from the TheLilyStoneQuarry Etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheLilyStoneQ ... =729939131

this somehow got overlooked for a long time, until I found her Etsy store a was able to view some really clear, magnified images of the cards.
I also saw more pictures on her Kickstarter page.

Damn, that woman's got serious talent.
I love her technique and choices for the color palette.
shadowrose
Seer

Post by shadowrose »

My three latest acquisitions are: The Light Seer's Tarot, Hush Tarot and the Modern Witch Tarot. I have ordered Madam Clara's Midcenturion Tarot, can't wait for it!
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

I recently got the Enchanted Realms tarot- I love the cards, and the book is even more awesome, it's so perceptively written, very good for a symbolic/visual kind of thinker.

I have my eye on the new Danielle Noel oracle due to the Hay House sale, but think I will probably let that one go as there aren't many older women in her cards. They are beautiful, but I like a diversity of kinds of people or I struggle to connect.I also keep wanting to nab the Druid Plant oracle at some point, but there are so many decks I covet I have to draw the line somewhere :lol:
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

A month ago I ordered it, and it arrived today! The beautiful White Sage Tarot. Do I need it? will it give me something that Zillich and Wild Unknown and Ostara and many other water colour and/or animal tarots couldn't give me? The Chakra symbolism of the minors is highly interesting and unique. The minors are pips with chakra colours, the majors and court cards are animals or abstract. I simply fell in love when I saw that deck and kept it on my list for at least a year.

Now I was thinking which deck to use for my daily card. No question: my youngest addition to my animal tarot collection! So very happy with it. A ray of light in difficult times.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I got an Easter egg!

Art Oracles arrived late yesterday.

It's my first oracle deck. I'm really excited to play with it today!

tumblr_cfa4eb70411f6e8c1742b8841bda24c4_35da20a1_500.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh, how nice! I didn't play with mine yet! But it's a very intelligent deck, and looks great. We have similar tastes!
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Button Soup Tarot It finally arrived, and it's :D GORGEOUS! :D Congratulations to all of you guys who made this happen!
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

while looking for examples of different indie oracle decks on etsy, to get inspiration for our collective oracle deck project, i stumbled upon the gorgeous, beautiful, exquisite greek light tarot and couldn’t get it out of my head, so a couple of hours later i decided to order it.... so much for my no buy year, this is already the fifth deck i have bought.....aw....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/765782214/ ... rs=1&cns=1

last week i also received the beautiful muse tarot by chris anne, the us games haindl tarot (my original deck is in dutch and i am unable to use it) and a beautiful book about the art of hermann haindl, bought on ebay.

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”