This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Funny tarot decks

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
AstralPasta
Sage

Funny tarot decks

Post by AstralPasta »

I'm on the hunt for tarot decks that are funny, by design.

The geek tarot on Etsy approaches this but it's mostly just geeky and fun. Food Fortunes nails it humor wise, but it isn't functionally a tarot deck.

I saw some on aeclectic, but the ones I like, mainly the kilted rubber chicken, are out of print. There was a collaborative one I remember, based around a website that's no longer active, funded on KS, but it's also OOP anyway.

I'm sure this is really subjective. The housewives tarot (and zombie tarot) doesn't really make me laugh, but I know it's satirical and clever (i hate zombies). They both also kinda creep me out, but that's just me.

I guess I like weird, bizarre, quirky, off the wall, and sometimes cute humor. Sucker for novelty items too.

The other thing is it's hard for to me find funny decks as a theme, where the whole intention is to be goofy and have fun.

I did bump into one called the UGH Tarot or something on indiegogo, but the PC was too slow. Im gonna see if I can find it again.

I guess that's the thing, it's hard enough finding a deck where you like the system and the art, so adding that very subjective layer of humor gets tricky.

If you know of any let me know though!
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Funny tarot decks

Post by Joan Marie »

I don't know if this would count as "funny" but I saw the humor in it.

It's called the Business Class Tarot. It's beautifully made and well thought out. What make it humorous to me is the juxtaposition of the corporate world's themes and concerns with the occult-y world of Tarot and divination. In another post about this deck Rachelcat told us:
He (the creator Anthony Dobranski) wrote a fantasy novel called The Demon in Business Class, in which the main character makes some decisions based on tarot readings. He wanted the cards to be modern and relevant, so he used updated names, etc. When the book came out, people started asking what deck the character used. So he decided to turn it into a real deck.
Here is how he names the suits, court cards and trumps:
4 Suits - Product, Brand, Data, and Money
Suit Management - Assistant, Manager, Director and VP
Executives - 22 symbolic narratives of success and failure

The website for it is https://businessclasstarot.com/
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot ๐Ÿ’š
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Another interesting source that you probably already know is Duck Soup Productions.

The creator Doug Thornsjo has a whole selection of Tarot, Oracle and Lenormand decks that he's created and none are short on whimsy and several are extremely novel. He even has some that have no category. In addition to his very well-known decks, Doug also has a whole "line" of lesser known novelties that are just brilliant.

Best is to have a look at the website. There are too many decks to list here.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I saw that Business Class one! I halfway think it's great and hilarious and educational and interesting, and halfway think it's square and evil and everything wrong about the world and capitalism and corporate consumer culture, hahaha. Aaargh, I don't know how I'd feel about it if I had it in my hands either. I feel like I like it and get it, but it's also kinda like arrrrrgh......curses! It's kinda how I felt about Instant Archetypes. I couldn't tell if it was evil or not, or if my experience of it would be like....

It's also interesting, like I know small businesses use these tools too. Hm.

I've seen Duck Soup's stuff too. I like the looks of that dada tarot I just saw with that link, it's really attractive and quirky and fun. I had to learn what dada was, so I kinda get how it's a weird synthesis, trying to get dada to mean anything, but it's still fun to look at.

Hmm. I guess to me, the humorous stuff in tarot tends to be sorta creepy or satirical or dark, but with all that as part of the humor and fun. Duck Soup kinda falls into that category for me. Like my partner's brother is a puppeteer and hobbyist doll-modifier and lives for this stuff, so he'd probably love looking at all that. Actually my partner and his crew whole would. One of his friends just bought the Fantod pack for another. And I'm going to share Dame Darcy's weird youtube channel to my partner's brother too, because "it'll give him life," as they say. We got him the Deviant Moon tarot for his birthday the past fall, and the book, and he was moved. Moved!. Touched! I'd been doubtful since he's been in low sort of headspace, but my partner insisted and assured me that he genuinely loved and appreciated this stuff, as in it cheered him up and made him see the light in the world.

I looked through the book and I kinda get the appeal now, but I also know it's not quite for me. I'm too sensitive and easily disturbed, even by the campiest over-the-top ridiculous horror sometimes. Edward Gorey's art is great and I like it and have read some little books and enjoyed them, but I think working with the Fantod pack might be too much for me, at least for now. I'm a wimp.

So it's been kinda tricky. It might be something where I'd have to make it. Maybe like a meme tarot. Or monty python tarot. Hm. I hope I remember that one deck I saw on kickstarter that's OOP, I'll share it here.

I am thinking of getting the Halloween tarot. It's kinda silly. Hey, maybe tarot will help me access my inner comedian hahaha.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

The Phantasmagoric Theater Tarot has always made me chuckle, but it is very strange at times. Maybe I should get my own copy.
Start strong
End stronger
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Oh ive seen that! I was at a shop and gave some serious thought to it but I don't quite like the art. It makes me feel weird. I think it's the balloon heads and far apart eyes. But it does look hilarious. I might give a second look at it.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

The Business Class hasn't hit my mailbox yet. Waiting impatiently!

Another that's not laugh-out-loud funny but definitely worth a chuckle or two is the Vanessa Tarot. It's fun to spot the girly pop culture icons! I love Bewitched's Samantha for 8 of Wands! You may have the same reaction to it as to the Housewives. (I hate zombies, too, so I definitely passed on that one!)
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
SaturnCeleste
Seer

Post by SaturnCeleste »

The Tarot of the Absurd is funny to me, not sure if everyone would find the humor but it cracks me up when I work with it!
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/absurd/
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Wow, I'm glad I posted on here :mrgreen: I hadn't realized the Vanessa tarot was based on pop culture references. I also hadn't seen Tarot of the Absurd before. Seems like it's out of print, but I'm curious as to how it reads. That 7 of Swords is hilarious! Lmao, what is going on in these cards. This is great. Not sure if it's my style, but I do want to look at it more. I also love that 8 of cups.

I found that UGH Tarot deck I was talking about! Here's the link on Indiegogo. It reminds me of those new card and board games that have been made the past few years, like Munchkins or whatever, and The Oatmeal a little bit. It's also not my style, but I am going to reference this list for options to select from (beggars can't be choosers, but I'm finding that this saying is becoming less and less relevant over time, especially with tarot's big boom in popularity lately).
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just saw a really sweet deck on Kickstarter called Skele-Tarot.

It's hand drawn black and white images of skeletons drawn in a way that I find really charming and funny. Just one example: The Lovers card

2019-01-30 01.21.03 pm.png
Canid
Seeker

Post by Canid »

Monstarot does it for me. (How do you insert a pic here?)
Tag Jorrit
Seer

Post by Tag Jorrit »

Cards are cards, just pieces of cardboard. What is important is the intent we give them.
Serge Pirotte
Want some antique repro cards? Visit https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Canid wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2019, 13:57 Monstarot does it for me. (How do you insert a pic here?)

I created this quick video to show how to post images here.

And some finer points are also found here if you need them: Posting Images: A little help
Canid
Seeker

Post by Canid »

I think Dark Mansion is funny!
Canid
Seeker

Post by Canid »

Joan Marie wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2019, 16:08
Canid wrote: โ†‘22 Mar 2019, 13:57 Monstarot does it for me. (How do you insert a pic here?)

I created this quick video to show how to post images here.

And some finer points are also found here if you need them: Posting Images: A little help
Itโ€™s not working, it keeps saying it couldnโ€™t determine my image something.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Canid wrote: โ†‘14 Apr 2019, 12:46 Itโ€™s not working, it keeps saying it couldnโ€™t determine my image something.
email the image to me please and maybe I can see what the problem is.

support@cultoftarotforum.com
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Found another! Not my style, but it is supposed to be funny.

Hungry Demon tarot
https://www.instagram.com/hdtarotcards/feed/

It reminds me of the Pomo but I think I prefer the latter. I'm glad goofy depictions are being made though.

On that note, I've been having funny readings with the RWS. I guess it can be more up to the reader than I thought.

Return to โ€œTarot Decks Discussionsโ€