This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Pearls of Wisdom III looks very similar to

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Pearls of Wisdom III looks very similar to

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

The World Spirit Tarot.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/world-spirit/

but stylistically Pearls of Wisdom III appears to take it the vision a step further dimensionally.

I think they're both very compelling decks and if given the choice between the two , I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two.
spending a Night on Earth with Jim Jarmusch enjoying Coffee and Cigarettes
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Pearls of Wisdom III looks very similar to

Post by Joan Marie »

The same artist, Roxie Hermsen, who did Pearls of Wisdom Tarot also did Joy and Sorrow Oracle.

She contacted me yesterday and sent me the images to post on the List of Decks. Click on those links above. Seeing all those cards together is powerful.

Her work is astonishing. And the story behind it is too. You can see it on her webpage which is linked from the List of Decks.

I see what you mean about the similarity to World Spirit Tarot and I agree that Roxie's work is a step further dimensionally. That's an interesting way to put it.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Really? To me, there's no similarity at all. World Spirit is a lino print and as such much more interesting visually than the graffiti-colouring-book-flowerchild-look of the Pearls of Wisdom. The compositions in the World Spirit are much more focused, complex and clear. The Pearls of Wisdom looks nice but I'd pick the World Spirit (which I have and love). Hm, I'll probably have to take a better look at the Pearls of Wisdom, now that I look at it more thoroughly...
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I can definitely see why he connects them. I can definitely see why you don't.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

The Pearls of Wisdom looks stylistically similar to the Didactic. Roxi Sims wrote the intro to its companion book. Been looking at the deck for quite a bit, might get it as a Christmas present for myself.

It also looks a bit like the Bonefire.
Start strong
End stronger
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

Amoroso wrote: ↑04 Dec 2018, 01:26 The Pearls of Wisdom looks stylistically similar to the Didactic. Roxi Sims wrote the intro to its companion book. Been looking at the deck for quite a bit, might get it as a Christmas present for myself.

It also looks a bit like the Bonefire.
Pearls of Wisdom III looks a lot more like the Bonfire to me, although I have to admit that I was immediately taken with the Tarot D/Didactic which I was unaware of, the Didactic is very compelling indeed.....the approach appears heavily Thoth inspired, maybe Thoth on steroids. certainly seems that way given the review/description I just read.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I've had all three - Bonefire, PoW III and World Spirit and decided I didn't like any of them. Thinking about it now, after reading this thread, I can see that was probably down to the similarities. The Didactic looks most similar to World Spirit to me and has that same black heaviness. It does nothing for me at all. But it's really interesting to have these comparisons highlighted. It never occurred to me to put these decks together, but now seems really obvious!
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

CharlotteK wrote: ↑05 Dec 2018, 20:15 I've had all three - Bonefire, PoW III and World Spirit and decided I didn't like any of them. Thinking about it now, after reading this thread, I can see that was probably down to the similarities. The Didactic looks most similar to World Spirit to me and has that same black heaviness. It does nothing for me at all. But it's really interesting to have these comparisons highlighted. It never occurred to me to put these decks together, but now seems really obvious!
I used to have the World Spirit but have decided not to go back to it and really have no interest in Bonfire or Pearls either.
interesting that you should attribute a quality of "black heaviness" to these decks.

My initial reaction to Didactic was impulsive and I've essentially murdered an entire afternoon researching the deck and the card images. This is an odd deck to say the least, a hybrid between Tarot and Oracle depending on how one chooses to make use of the given cards.
Apparently this project was part of his MFA thesis which has nothing to do with anything but just throwing this little factoid out as a matter of interest.
I even compared this to my Tabula Mundi and it was like, no way, Didactic is in a universe of its own.

Do I want to traverse this universe like Marvel's Dr. Strange in the "Multiverse"? ........ it almost has that feel.

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

It's funny, I don't care for any of these decks, but I can see them all as perhaps being similar to the Dark Carnival Taort, which I covet.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

uscss.Nostromo wrote: ↑05 Dec 2018, 23:34 My initial reaction .... was impulsive and I've essentially murdered an entire afternoon researching the deck and the card images.
We've all been there. πŸ˜‰

I'm wondering if we are not on the verge of defining a sub-genre here. Is there is a little thread of the psychedelic that runs through all of these decks?
Do they feel a little bit "retro" somehow? What is it that seems to be tying them together for us?
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

There is a childish element to the art and I really don't mean that in a disparaging way, more the way we learn to draw things by making thick black outlines and then colouring inside the lines. Traditional tattoo works this way too, with the line work done first and then the blocks of colour - often bold flat colours - are added. In all of these decks the outlines and edges are mostly clearly delineated and the colours are bold and blocky. The art is not subtle.
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

CharlotteK wrote: ↑06 Dec 2018, 13:14 There is a childish element to the art and I really don't mean that in a disparaging way, more the way we learn to draw things by making thick black outlines and then colouring inside the lines. Traditional tattoo works this way too, with the line work done first and then the blocks of colour - often bold flat colours - are added. In all of these decks the outlines and edges are mostly clearly delineated and the colours are bold and blocky. The art is not subtle.
Joan Marie wrote: ↑06 Dec 2018, 13:01 I'm wondering if we are not on the verge of defining a sub-genre here. Is there is a little thread of the psychedelic that runs through all of these decks?
Do they feel a little bit "retro" somehow? What is it that seems to be tying them together for us?
I suspect what ties these all together is the "rustic" quality that they all possess to some degree.

Rather than describing the artwork as "childish" I would rather define it as "folk art", although I will add that I completely understand Charlotte's sentiment. No, the art is not at all refined or subtle, you have a fine eye Charlotte and we essentially share the same aesthetic sensibilities, so please don't take offense.

with that being said, I find it curious as to how my own tastes have evolved over time, for instance I am no longer enticed by the art of Robert Place who is indisputably an extremely fine and accomplished artist; for whatever reason his art (now) leaves me with a very cold feeling.

I recently purchased two decks that previously would have been completely out of the norm for me in the past such as "Tattoo Tarot: Ink & Intuition" and the "Trick or Tarot Deluxe", why?......simply because I think they're very well done and they make me feel good.

I would like to share two images with you. One is categorized as Indian (India) folk art and the other is a very rare hand crafted Tarot which I actually had the pleasure of owning at one time; a copy of which now resides in the Tarot Museum of Brussels.

The similarities are quite striking.

Folk Art from India

Tarocchi Veneziani - Maria Cristina Venditti
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

further to my previous post, I will add that in defense of "folk art" "tattoo art" "rustic art" "photo collage" "graffiti art" and Tarots of similar genres, these are created from art that is honest and not contrived.

There is some truly extraordinary graffiti art in many major cities, remember that Keith Haring was a great graffiti artist.

I truly despair of decks that are merely photoshopped to death and back, the end result of which adds no real value to the overall artistic value of the deck. There are many iterations of a well known deck that has been treated in this manner and in terms of overall integrity and value for the money there's no comparison to honest original art IMHO.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Folk art and rustic art are MUCH better ways of describing it. Good call!

I have some treasured decks with artwork that could be described as rustic and also childish. For example the Fiery Wands Tarot, which I find totally charming. A lot of TdM art is also very rustic. But it's not this kind of rustic.

But in a similar folk art vein, how about the Kitchen Tarot and Tarot del Fuego - really similar in tone.

As for why I didn't care for three decks discussed previously other, perhaps I found them a little brash and busy for my taste. The Wild Unknown has a LOT of black lines but that has a totally different vibe, maybe due to the more minimalist approach.
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

The Kitchen and del Fuego are honest and heartfelt as is the Fiery Wands, so I respect them but I would not buy them.

The matter of the Didactic is still on my mind only because of the unique qualities of the overall set which includes an extra suit, four different magicians etc. totaling 102 cards. Clearly this is an attempt at being an innovative groundbreaker by establishing a new system.....or was this simply a grandiose gesture for the sake of making a good impression for his MFA thesis?......in other words, a contrivance that may or may not be viewed as "legitimate" cartomancy.

then again with all the different artistic styles, oracles and such that have deviated from the path of Tarot, Lenormand and Kipper, I suppose it's up to each individual to pick and choose what works for them.
It will be interesting to see how the Tarot-D stands up to the test of time......or does it really matter as long as the owner can deliver a really solid reading with it?

The overall tone of this thread is beginning to merge with "what parameters do you follow to buy tarot decks", but I guess that's my fault.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

uscss.Nostromo wrote: ↑06 Dec 2018, 20:42 The overall tone of this thread is beginning to merge with "what parameters do you follow to buy tarot decks", but I guess that's my fault.
I feel like this discussion has been getting to some really interesting areas. What started as a comparison of 2 decks has turned into an analysis of artistic styles.

Typically tarot decks are categorised by theme, i.e. fairy decks, cat decks, botanical deck, etc. It's interesting to consider them from another point of view and artistic style seems a highly appropriate and helpful way to understand and appreciate them.

And I enjoy the sort of "detective work" of it which is necessary maybe because it hasn't really been done yet?
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑07 Dec 2018, 16:15
uscss.Nostromo wrote: ↑06 Dec 2018, 20:42 The overall tone of this thread is beginning to merge with "what parameters do you follow to buy tarot decks", but I guess that's my fault.
I feel like this discussion has been getting to some really interesting areas. What started as a comparison of 2 decks has turned into an analysis of artistic styles.

Typically tarot decks are categorised by theme, i.e. fairy decks, cat decks, botanical deck, etc. It's interesting to consider them from another point of view and artistic style seems a highly appropriate and helpful way to understand and appreciate them.

And I enjoy the sort of "detective work" of it which is necessary maybe because it hasn't really been done yet?
speaking of detective work, I am still trying to wrap my head around the striking similarity between the Venditti Tarot and the Peacock print for sale, aside from the border design they are very similar stylistically.

here is the website for the sale of the Indian print, it seems apparent that Ms. Venditti is well travelled and her art mirrors other cultural influences:

https://www.fizdi.com/world-oldest-folk ... in-x-16in/

I have researched other examples of Indian art and the repetitive border design is a fairly common device.

Return to β€œTarot Decks Discussions”