This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

R.I.P Neil Lovell (Malpertuis Designs Ltd)

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
CharlotteK
Sage

R.I.P Neil Lovell (Malpertuis Designs Ltd)

Post by CharlotteK »

What awful news, for the Tarot Community and everyone that knew him. He was a hugely talented deck designer and it was so wonderful to have an amazing creator in the UK. He must have been relatively young too as he started University the same year I did. :cry: Thoughts are with his family.

This is what was posted on his business Facebook page:

"It is with much sadness that I must notify all Malpertuis followers of the sudden and untimely passing of Neil. This had been a dream of his for over 20 years, and just as his vision has begun to be realised, he has been taken from us, all too soon.
He will missed those who had the pleasure to know him, and by those who admired his work.
For anyone with an outstanding order, please email joelovell51@outlook.com, and I will do my best to answer your queries".

And here is a link to an interview with him from January last year;

http://www.worthytarot.com/blog/2017/1/ ... ck-tarot-1

d0406198a9815a13b7a9684ce6ecde6b.jpg
d0406198a9815a13b7a9684ce6ecde6b.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: R.I.P Neil Lovell (Malpertuis Designs Ltd)

Post by Joan Marie »

What a terrible loss.
I really regret not being more aware of Neil Lovell and his work.

I just read the interview that Charlotte posted the link to.

It's really extraordinary. If you can, take a little time and read it.

I've also been looking at his work. How lucky are you who knew and appreciated it. From the sound of the facebook message, it doesn't look like his work will continue to be published.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I heard today for the first time that he's dead. I picked his Tyldwick deck as deck of the week for the Planetary Week reading, and I'm shocked to hear that he died. He was hugely talented, his decks are completely unique, and I love his artistic style. I may be wrong but I feel it's so very very British, I can't imagine a Frenchman, Italian or American producing his kinds of decks.

Re-reading, the interview with this interesting man, I said to myself: he could have continued with his career and waited until retirement to start making art and tarot and Lenormand decks. We might never had these beautiful decks in our hands. He created quite a lot of decks in a short couple of years. With his first deck, the Tyldwick, he already made a name for himself. It's actually amazing how he timed his life.

I'm very sad his Nijinsky Tarot maybe won't see the light. Who knows what other projects he had.

A man taken before his time. He left a unique legacy.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I'm so sorry to hear this! What a talent to be taken from us too soon.

He will live on in the beauty he created.
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
velvetina
Seer

Post by velvetina »

It is very sad indeed.

I hope that he knew how loved his work was - I have the Tyldwick (an absolute dream of a deck) and the Chelsea Lenormand, which is beautiful.
One always hopes to get the chance to have a conversation with those who have created the things that we love, or at the very least to tell them of our appreciation. If his loved ones read these posts, I hope that they offer some small consolation.
Malpertuis
Seeker

Post by Malpertuis »

Since Neil's passing the legacy of his creations has fallen to me (Joe, his little brother), and after a long delay and much aggravation with Neil's old website service provider, I have launched a new website.
www.malpertuis.co has all of Neil's works available to order (unfortunately the Tyldwick Tarot has sold all 2000 limited copies), and the slow process of getting his final work, The Legend of The Wizard Laird, into print has begun.
I will post any news of this decks progress on the site.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Malpertuis wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 19:20 I will post any news of this decks progress on the site.
Thank you so much. I can't imagine what a difficult task this must be for you. I'm sure you know how much your brother's work was loved and appreciated. And so is the work you are doing now.

I just took a quick look at the website. It is stunning. Just beautiful.

Thank you so much for coming here and sharing this with us.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Update on Wizard Laird
ianbryanttarot
Seer

Post by ianbryanttarot »

What a loss. My condolences. I have his Silson Lenormand (coloured) and it is a lovely thing. It actually was what inspired me to explore parchment and handmade antiqued paper as the base for my tarot in progress.

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”