This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

New deck shuffling woes

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
SilverLining
Seer

New deck shuffling woes

Post by SilverLining »

You ever buy a new deck but find that shuffling doesn't feel right? There are two decks that I love but I never use because the shuffling just isn't comfortable. One the cards I feel are a bit too big for my hands and the other one they don't shuffle smoothly. They get stuck together too much and I find it annoying. There are other decks that I just love shuffling and could do it forever. Is this something I should just push through or are they not meant to be with me? :( Anyone else have this problem?
*SilverLining*
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: New deck shuffling woes

Post by Charlie Brown »

Maybe that's a good time to experiment with some different shuffling techniques like swirling them around the table or else maybe fan them out and pick cards one at a time from the deck. I especially like doing that last one when I'm using really well-defined spread positions.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Charlie Brown wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 04:50 Maybe that's a good time to experiment with some different shuffling techniques
I like this suggestion a lot because there are many decks that don't shuffle in the traditional way so easily and it would be a pity to write them all off for this. Also trying different techniques can open you up as a reader.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

With large cards I do things like dealing them out into piles, or separating half the deck and spracing the cards like an accordion then slotting the other half in, like a riffle shuffle without the bending.

The sticky cards, try wiping each card on a mildly rough fabric or paper to reduce the gloss, but at your own risk, if you don't mind potentially spoiling them. Some handling will help, as they are so dead flat after manufacture.

Another option is to trim oversize cards.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

There's also magicians fanning powder. Apparently it's pretty cheap and you get a lot for it.

Or you can be even cheaper like me and use baby powder 😑 It works, but I may have overdone it. Not sure how you're supposed to use it.

I think some people call it talcum powder....I'm guessing talcum powder is unscented.

I had to do it with the Cook's tarot. Very large and the cards stuck together way too much so I found I never reached for it. So I basted every single card with baby powder HA HA 🤪 and yeah I can shuffle 80% better now, there's just a cloud of white (jk...just the first time, more like dust that sprinkles off) everytime I do it. I probably should watch a YouTube video on how to do it properly. I'm guessing I'm supposed to ...wipe them off....I don't know. I can't handle repetitive tasks so I was pretty over it after and just shoved them in the bag 🤦🏿‍♀️ ...and now the bag probably has to be washed....OTL ugggghhhh.

Anyway it works, but maybe watch a video first. It definitely works though. Shuffling is way easier. 👌🏿 Don't do it like I did though, haha.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
SilverLining
Seer

Post by SilverLining »

I guess I just got into a habit of shuffling the way I always have and didn't really think of mixing it up! :lol: I will have to give some new methods a try.
And powder! Yes! I will have to give that a try too! Can't believe I didn't think of think of that myself!
I have never been a card trimmer. I'm too scared that I will make them off and they won't all be even and it will drive me mad!

Thanks everyone!
*SilverLining*

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”