This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

New Rosenwald Tarot

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
Ella
Seeker

New Rosenwald Tarot

Post by Ella »

Hi everyone! I'm Ella, and I am an author and graphic designer from Australia.

My first tarot deck is almost ready and I'd like to give you just a little taste! I love collecting tarot, and I realized that it's almost impossible to get decks from the 16th century, so I began this project. It's taken almost a year so far, but the cards are done and I just need to find the best way to get them printed and out there. I will be putting them up on the Game Crafter, but for Aussie buyers (and probably other non-US buyers) I am trying to find a cheaper option. The main problem here in Australia is the horrendous exchange rate which means my cost alone, before any profit is over $50 AU per deck. I think I can get the cards printed cheaper with another company and get the box and booklet printed locally to bring it down to about $30 AU before profit but I'm still working on that option. There is no kickstarter.

Now for the cards. Anyone who knows tarot knows of the Rosenwald sheets from c1501, and also would know of the wonderful facsimile deck by Sullivan Hismans (I saw it in your deck list). It's beautiful but not an option financially. I also know of a version redrawn and colourised in four colours by Lady Heather Hall. Both these versions are difficult to get hold of. So, here's how mine are different. They will be print on demand, so no limit and no end date, and hopefully cheaper. And they will look quite different to both these gorgeously authentic decks. My cards are still faithful to the original images, with linework traced off the images held at the national museum of art. But they are coloured in a modern palette with watercolour pencils, which brings them into our era for people who want bright, colourful, rainbow cards. The missing cards have been recreated by using elements of other cards in the deck to build up the image, so they fit the look and feel of the deck.

So, here's a first glimpse for you, I'd really love to know what you think, and hear any comments!
New Rose Tarot by Ella Mortimer.jpg
New Rose Tarot by Ella Mortimer.jpg (266.52 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: New Rosenwald Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

Ella wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 21:47 So, here's a first glimpse for you, I'd really love to know what you think, and hear any comments!
Ella, these are really gorgeous. Really looking forward to when you have everything lined up so we can order them.

Thank you so much for sharing them here.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Fantastic!
I am fairly obsessed with these historical Decks, and would LOVE to have a copy of your magnificent work. Please please please let everyone know when they are hot off the press.
Ella
Seeker

Post by Ella »

Thanks Stan,
The New Rosenwald Tarot is now available here:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/th ... wald-tarot
Maskelyne
Seer

Post by Maskelyne »

The Rosenwald is such a charmingly drawn deck it just begs to be colored. Thanks for making this available; I'm eagerly awaiting my copy.

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”