This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot Decks being pirated on Etsy - let's get them taken down

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
HRU's Muse
Seer

Tarot Decks being pirated on Etsy - let's get them taken down

Post by HRU's Muse »

Looks like my deck Tabula Mundi is being pirated on Etsy, by a shop in the Ukraine called "VikingRunesPower". They lifted pictures and text direct from my site, and are reprinting it supposedly in the Netherlands (though they are in Ukraine). My cards are printed in the USA.

I see lots of other decks being sold on their site, clearly against Etsy's rules that items must be handmade. Some of the other decks I see on there include:

Animals Divine

Steampunk

Deviant Moon

Wildwood

Gilded Reverie

Prisma Visions

Universal Fantasy

Masonic

If you know any of these deck creators, let them know so they can file a copyright infringement with Etsy. (There's a simple online form for that)

But anyone can report a shop or a listing as being "not handmade" by the shop listing the item - which includes not having the rights to make it. Please take a moment to report this shop and get a pirate taken down.

If I'm allowed to post links to how to report, etc I will. It's simple. You can report an item from the bottom of the listing, or better yet, report the shop itself by going to the shop homepage, and looking for the link "report this shop" on the lower left.
~ I enter as a hawk; I come out as a phoenix in the morning. Pert-em-hru
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Tarot Decks being pirated on Etsy - let's get them taken down

Post by Joan Marie »

That's awful!!!

Thank you so much for the heads up on this Mel.

Please post any links you have so we can help stop this.

EDIT: I just reported this shop to Etsy. It was easy.

The direct link to the shop is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/VikingRunesPo ... p_redirect
scroll down a bit and on the left side you will see a link to report the shop.

As Mel says, click the selection "Not handmade" and you will be given a chance to explain that this site is selling bootleg copies of our favourite decks.

EDIT 2: I just posted this information with links to the Facebook Tarot Marketplace and some deck creator groups there. Hopefully the other creators will see it and notify Etsy.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

Here is a link on "How to report an item or a shop" to Etsy:
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles ... em-or-Shop
Anyone can report an item or shop.

If you are one of the deck creators being pirated, there is also an online infringement reporting form:
https://www.etsy.com/legal/ip/report
That one is just for the owner of the work, if that applies to you.

But anyone can report the shop for violating Etsy's terms, to only sell handmade items that you own the rights to, by using the first link.

If enough people report them, they will likely get taken down quicker.
It's easy to find the shop - just search for them by name VikingRunesPower or search for Tabula Mundi and you will find the listing where they are selling reprinted decks of that and you can see all the other Tarot items they are pirating - as well as selling a bunch of crappy "viking" jewelry.
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

Thanks for posting the link and reporting, Joan!

Not only are they stealing, but they are printing the deck on shoddy GLOSSY cardboard - the horrors!

And they charge more than I do for a REAL copy with holographic backs and a satin lined box - which I am sure they don't have. Sheesh.
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

edit: original post said Etsy responded to take the deck down.
they did, but all the seller had to do was lie and contest it as their own work on good faith and etsy said it will be relisted in ten business days unless I file a federal court order! Even though I sent them all my copyright numbers and various proof, and all the thieves did was say "i disagree"! Etsy allows this because -wait for it - they get a cut! so now I have to file a court order.

There are still 25 other decks on their store being pirated. I have let a few of the other creators know, but most probably are unaware of it so I hope they see this. If you are friends with any of them let them know.

If you are a creator whose deck is there, do take a few minutes to fill out that infringement form online. It will at least bring more awareness to them that they are KNOWINGLY supporting pirates, and thus also legally culpable. Plus supposedly according to Etsy's own terms and conditions, they can terminate the shop for repeat offenses - or for any reason. They won't though, until someone sues them, most likely.

Thanks again for anyone who responded!
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Thank you for bringing all of this to our attention.
I believe in Crystal Light.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

Could you post a link to the Universal Fantasy/etsy link, please?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

fire cat pickles wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 11:00 Could you post a link to the Universal Fantasy/etsy link, please?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/768996534/ ... e_active_6

That's the direct link to that that deck on the VikingRunesPower Etsy shop, but I think all the decks mentioned are at that shop.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VikingRunesPo ... p_redirect
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

I actually have a novel idea about how to slow down pirates, but I have to do some research. Not wanting to say yet what the idea is, as I don't want to tip them off, but it could make it much harder for them to get away with this.
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

I strongly advise everyone check Ebay too if they make decks- I have seen multiple copies that are obviously fake, including indie decks ( on .com and .co.uk). Unfortunately a lot don't use the original deck name but any mass-for-sale decks printed in areas that don't correspond with the listing address are worth checking out.

Prisma Visions and Hay House decks seem to be the most pirated so far. There are also quite a few pirated Shadowscapes about. Generally if multiple copies are available at unusually low prices it's too good to be true. You can often find these by checking (new) and (lowest price first) parameters in the advanced search and filter boxes
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

I take back everything nice I said about Etsy. NEVER shopping there again. They basically just sent another notice saying that because the thieves denied it - even though I provided them the proof I own the copyrights - I have to get a court order or they can relist it. So they can just deny it and that works - even though I have official paperwork. Etsy is corrupt to allow this. But of course they are, they get a share of it! This world just sucks. Have to get my lawyer involved. We creators need to band together to fight this BS.
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

They do say this in their page about infringement though - so keep reporting it:

4. Repeat Infringement

Etsy terminates selling privileges of members who are subject to repeat or multiple notices of intellectual property infringement in appropriate circumstances and at Etsy’s discretion. If we believe a member has attempted to open a new shop after termination of the initial account, we reserve the right to refuse all services to that member. These actions apply to any accounts we believe are associated with or operated by the affected member. Per our Terms of Use, Etsy reserves the right to terminate account privileges at any time, for any reason, and without advance notice.
CaraHamilton
Seer

Post by CaraHamilton »

Just seen this, that is awful. Had experience on this.Not sure how much action any authority will take.

One of my books was pirated and approached Paypal a they were the payment method of seller and made representation that the seller was selling pirated work. Apparently it was only my view that my work was pirated. So not very happy so I think the best way to tackle it is to make sure this is reported far and wide so ethical buyers avoid it.

Really feel for you having this experience.

Cara x
"Let me fall if I must fall. The one I will become will catch me"
The Baal Shem Tov
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

CaraHamilton wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 22:05 Just seen this, that is awful. Had experience on this.Not sure how much action any authority will take.

Cara x
Thanks Cara - I know you must have felt the same way. It's infuriating, and discouraging to the point of despair, the power these big corporations have.

I still believe if people band together, and multiple people complain together, it can get their attention. They won't care more, but they care about their public perception and persona, and how it affects their bottom line. If they think people are beginning so see them as a monolithic corporation with no concern for their customers - which they are, as they blatantly favor their sellers in these instances since they get a cut - people might form a negative opinion which will translate to their online persona being called out as offensive. People can move mountains if they get together and try.

Etsy was supposed to be about creators, a space for creators to sell things. It's ironic that they let actual creators get robbed by pirates.

It's also ironic that I was going to open an Etsy store this year, for my other non-deck one off handmade creations if nothing else. I make stuff! Not going to happen now, unless they take this seller off.

In any event, I still hope that the more people complain about this particular seller, it will make a difference - as after all, Etsy also wants to limit their actual legal liability if people band together.
Libra
Sage

Post by Libra »

I reported it, we'll see what happens...
Intuitive tarot to inspire & empower @ www.ResonatingReadings.com
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

Thanks, Libra!

It really will be interesting to see what happens. These big corps will decide to respond, or not, based on their own perception of their bottom line. If Etsy gets a bad rap with deck buyers it will hurt them more than if they get one with creators. Even though, ironically, Etsy was created originally as a marketplace for creators. Any creator now though, should avoid them.

Creators though, have way more power to take them down, by simply filling out that online form about infringement I linked to. It was easy and took me 5 minutes. Repeated people identifying these people as pirates may invoke the multiple infringement clause, that causes Etsy to remove the seller completely.

And if anyone of the creators sues them in court, the multiple infringement claims surely adds credence to all claims.

Here is my prediction as an oracle: that it is in Etsy's best interest now to side with the people who both buy things and create things. As in, actual creators. It's a better future path than the alternative. At least that's what the cards told me! They may not see it in the short run but in the long run, they would be smart to heed.

Same is true of the big publishers. They could win a lot of love and loyalty if they gave the perception they were with the public and trying to combat those who steal from both them and smaller creators. This is an issue for them as well as for me, and for everyone who wants to receive an item that isn't counterfeit or who wants to support tarot artists and publishers. Imagine the goodwill that could create. I can.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The best advice for consumers is to purchase directly from the artist or very reputable re-sellers:

LilyStoneQuarry
https://thelilystonequarry.com/

Tarot Garden
http://tarotgarden.com/

Adam McLean
https://www.ebay.com/usr/alchemybooksho ... 1543.l2754

There are some eBay sellers who are very reliable, most of whom are old AT members with vast collections, but I will not name them for the sake of discretion. Adam McLean is the only exception I will make.

We all know who we are and we also remember who (independently) published their deck(s) and what it looked like......even if someone else is using the same title but with different images, like a certain Etsy seller who will remain un-named :evil:

Also, never transact business outside of eBay, or share your personal email through their messaging system, that's against eBay policy and they can and will cancel your account. Besides, it is for your own protection.

Do your homework, until you've exhausted every available source of information.
If there's the slightest doubt, walk away from it. Nobody can have it all, although some come close, but they are the very rare exceptions.
Remember, even the big museums get fooled all the time.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Tag Jorrit
Seer

Post by Tag Jorrit »

OK.
Cards are cards, just pieces of cardboard. What is important is the intent we give them.
Serge Pirotte
Want some antique repro cards? Visit https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

The site is down to ten pirated deck listings vs the original 26. So other creators and publishers must be reporting, or either the seller or Etsy took down ones to protect themselves from the major publishers. Doubt it was Etsy unless the creator or publisher reported. Who knows if the seller contested others too besides mine, because if they did the takedowns will be temporary, like they said mine currently is. They think because I am self published they will get away with relisting mine, where probably not the same thinking about ones with big publishers. Ultimately they won't, even if they get away with it for a short time I do intend to fight it. I would rather be working on my next deck though!

I reminded Etsy if there were multiple reports of copyright infringement their own terms and conditions say they can terminate "any account, at any time, for any reason" and that they also had a repeat infringement clause for termination. But they and their sellers need to make a living, apparently even on pirated goods, and they currently seemingly do not care about the number of infringements, but only use "their discretion." (I wish they would use it!) I hope they come to their senses, but this really isn't fair.

My hope is that people do not forget, and continue to report the remaining decks, and watch to see if they go back up in late March.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

HRU's Muse wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 23:34 The site is down to ten pirated deck listings vs the original 26. ....

My hope is that people do not forget, and continue to report the remaining decks, and watch to see if they go back up in late March.
Good work everybody. Lets keep this thread alive and continue being vigilant about these decks and others on-going. Clearly we've already made a dent in this and can continue doing so.
HRU's Muse
Seer

Post by HRU's Muse »

Does anyone know how to contact Lo Scarabeo? Because two of their decks are still listed there: Masonic by Patrizio Diaz Silva and El Gran Tarot Esoterica by Luis Pena Longo, both published by Lo Scarabeo.

Also, I was talking to Arthur Wang, the owner and creator of True Black Tarot - apparently this place was/is pirating his work, too.
JayBee
Seer

Post by JayBee »

Hi Mel. I had some dealings with the following person through their marketing department.

Arianna Serra
marketing@loscarabeo.com
Lo Scarabeo
www.loscarabeo.com
tel. 011.283793
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I have checked this horrible shop again - and they're still selling decks and also stuff with swastikas and SS runes. Thor's hammer with an iron cross... just modified so naive viewers don't recognize it. There is something seriously wrong with this shop.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

HRU's Muse wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 15:35 Also, I was talking to Arthur Wang, the owner and creator of True Black Tarot - apparently this place was/is pirating his work, too.
that's despicable. :evil:

Anybody who has followed the progress of that deck to it's final completion knows full well how Arthur poured blood, sweat and tears into the creation of that masterpiece.

TrueBlack Tarot Homepage

It is one of the Tarot worlds shining testimonials to outstanding graphic and technical achievement.
Anybody who owns the TrueBlack can attest to that without hesitation.

Online images can never do justice to this deck, the cards, the box, and the book have to be seen in person, you have to feel the texture, the weight of the cards, the quality of book, every detail of that deck come together as a tour de force.

anybody who has purchased a pirated copy of the TrueBlack, has cheated Arthur and themselves as well.

A cheap knockoff of the TruBlack must be a pathetic imitation indeed.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

I just saw this on the Tarot Tea and Me forum and I feel compelled to post this, it's tragic.
Ciro Update.jpeg

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”