This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

TdM Reading group: dodalisque reads for Kare

dodalisque
Sage

TdM Reading group: dodalisque reads for Kare

Post by dodalisque »

Hello again. I'm ready for your question. I don't mind if it's a personal question or something to do with politics or ideas or a reading for a fictional or historical character. I can make a mess of pretty much anything!
kare
Sage

Re: TdM Reading group: dodalisque reads for Kare

Post by kare »

You are too hard on yourself. 😊 I really look forward to your reading. It's funny--each month that I participate in these activities, I try not to ask the same questions I've asked before, but I always have the same ones. Can't get my life organized, can't figure the work thing out, how to achieve other personal goals... So either nothing changes, or I need a perspective change. So this time, my question is, how can I shift my perspective to a more positive and empowering one? Or what is the issue with the way I perceive things? Anything like that. And thank you so much.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Thanks, Kare. I'll give it my best shot. If we can't find you some new answers, we'll look for some new problems.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Hi Kare. Your question is, how can I shift my perspective to a more positive and empowering one?

The deck I am using for this reading is Wilfried Houdouin's "Millennium Tarot" (2011). We have been waiting eagerly for many years for an English translation of the explanatory companion book. I glanced briefly at the French version and it has so many intimidating diagrams that it looks like the repair manual for a Maserati. Houdouin seems to be such a perfectionist that I am beginning to wonder if a translation will ever meet his exacting standards.

But the book is necessary because the thinking behind this deck is unique and highly complex. The images also contain intriguing innovations while retaining the classic TdM look, and I am looking forward to reading about the rationale behind some of Houdouin's decisions. He is a serious scholar of the TdM and for many years has worked as the assistant of Yves Reynaud, who publishes beautiful photographic reproductions of many classic TdM decks.

Precision is the keyword in the Millennium Tarot. Looking at these cards does something strange to my eyes, some mathematical magic embedded in the images which seems capable of inducing a mild trance state. Every aspect of the placing of the figures or objects is governed by exact adherence to the rules of sacred geometry, specifically a design known as Metatron's Cube.

The archangel Metatron, according to Wikipedia, "resonates with the colours white, pink and green. Archangel Metatron represents pure white light, aids children's developmental problems, wisdom, awakenings and new realities. Archangel Metatron is the overseer of the Indigo and Crystal children; those who have incarnated to awaken our planet."

Why am I telling you this? And why did I choose this particular deck? Presumably because my intuition, or something, has identified that a key element in the answer to your question must involve the subject of precision, perfectionism, or prevarication. But perhaps we should look at the cards themselves to find out. The first 5 cards, the cross itself, was drawn from the majors only; the 4 diagonally-placed connecting cards were selected from the pips only; and the tenth card at the top came from the courts, and recommends what is most required of you at this time.

IMG_1397.JPG

1) Temperance; 2) Hanged Man; 3) Devil; 4) Hermit; 5) Fool
6) 2 Swords; 7) 5 Cups; 8) 7 Cups 9) 3 Cups
10) Knight of Coins

I am trying to get away from relying so heavily in readings on the Four Elements in my interpretation of TdM cards. The tradition of linking Coins/Swords/Wands/Cups to Earth/Air/Fire/Water seems more relevant to the RWS and the Golden Dawn tradition of esoteric tarot. So I am trying to learn to look at minor cards as, say, 6 Wands rather than the 6 of Wands. That way I hope to better appreciate the cards as concrete images rather than as receptacles of an established list of generally agreed upon symbolic meanings. It's a subtle distinction but might be interesting. The idea comes from Enrique Enriquez.

I want to cut straight through the BS and jump immediately to the end of the reading. For I believe that the tarot is presenting us here with the formula for a magical procedure designed to rewire your mental and emotional circuits to bring about the dramatic personal transformation you desire.

What jumps out at me from this arrangement of cards - the "loose brick in the wall," as Enrique Enriquez calls it - is the diagonally placed minor cards. In painting, diagonals create a sense of dynamism and movement. Horizontals and verticals give us a feeling of static repose. So if you want change in your life you need to harness the power of those diagonal minors. We have 3, 5, 7 Cups and expect the fourth card to be 9 Cups to complete the sequence. 9 Cups is generally considered to be the most, or one of the most, auspicious and optimistic cards in the deck, combining generosity and stability. But in place of 9 Cups we have 2 swords, which look like the two blades of a pair of scissors. In fact the scissors have cut out the 9 Cups so that you may carry it away with you.

What I propose is that you extract the 9 Cups card from a TdM deck and physically carry it with you for 9 months, the necessary gestation period for a rebirth. Carry it in your wallet or place it on a shrine at home. Some place where you will notice it every now and again and be reminded of its purpose. But your unconscious will always remember it is there, so being consciously aware of its presence at all times is not crucially important. Perhaps the magic will work more powerfully if you forget most of the time that the card is even there.

You will have the card somewhere in your mind in the same way that the Knight of Coins has a magic pill permanently floating in front of him, keeping him company on his journey. Perhaps I am the Knight of Coins bringing the magic pill to you now. However, I notice the headwear of this Knight closely resembles that worn by hospital nurses in previous times. The Red Cross symbol of course is still very familiar today. I wonder if this Knight is supposed to be a medical man. Or not even a man. Look at the long curling yellow hair escaping from the side of the bonnet and the androgynous features, the large eyes and feminine lips. This Knight looks more like a female nurse. The suit of Coins, after all, is usually connected with the material world, the human body, and physical health.

The supreme importance of the minor cards in this reading compared to the relatively unimportant majors indicates that one way forward for you is to focus more attention on small pleasures rather than large issues. Don't worry about "changing your life" - the 9 Cups card is looking after that - but change how you experience a wildflower sprinkled with dew, or a well-cooked meal, or a new pair of jeans. "You do not have to drink the whole river to quench your thirst."

For the sake of completeness, let's look briefly at the cross shape made by the major cards:

1) a toi - things personal to you, happening now: Temperance (XIV)
You have your hands full. Don't be so hard on yourself. Balance requires constant movement and a thousand tiny readjustments. Just maintaining your position and keeping it together in the modern world can be a remarkable feat in itself.

2) a la tete (at your head) - your thoughts, dreams and hopes: Hanged Man (XII)
You seem to think you need to turn your world completely upside down in order to become a better, more productive person, but the Hanged Man is suffering. Consider the possibility that when change comes in 9 months time - and it may happen gradually without any dramatic shocks or breakthroughs - it could be an enjoyable experience rather than a torture test.

3) aux pieds (at your feet) - things you least care about: Devil (XV)
Only you can really identify the Devil in this image. Is the Devil your boss at work? your spouse? an eating disorder? heroin addiction?! Whatever or whoever the Devil is in your life, holding your happiness hostage, that is what you should "least care about". Don't blame others or even yourself for perceived weaknesses or failings. Actions, even tiny actions, are far more potent than obsessively thinking or talking about something, "caring" about it, and causing yourself worry.

4) a cote (at your side) - your support or opposition: Hermit (IX)
A hermit is usually thought of as being someone far away, so perhaps you feel you that your most loving supporters are distant from you. However the Hermit is holding up his lamp, casting a spotlight on Temperance. Somebody is fascinated by you and finds what you are doing remarkable. This Hermit, unlike some Hermit cards I have seen, has a quiet smile on his face. The 2 Swords, the pair of scissors, perhaps cuts the link between the Hanged Man (i.e. your thinking) and the Hermit (i.e. your support). So possibly your concern about the necessity for dramatic change risks separating you from those who love you. Perhaps they already love you just the way you are.

5) ta surprise (your surprise) - things you least expect to happen: Fool
What you "least expect to happen" is that you will get a brand new fresh start. Since you say you have been asking various tarot readers essentially the same question for so long, perhaps you had almost stopped hoping that real change was possible. Keep that 9 Cups card in your shoulder-bag for 9 months and it will work potent magic that will "surprise" you. We see 9 bells on the Fool - 4 on his belt and 5 on his collar - the same golden colour as the cups - so you should carry cheerful music with you wherever you go.

IMG_1408.JPG
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

dodalisque,

This is such a treasure of a reading, and I so love your perspective on the cards. I had never thought of the 2 swords as a pair of scissors, and your suggestion that the 9 cups is a kind of lurking presence is so interesting. This reading has deeply resonated and has given me some real comfort. I will post soon with a more detailed response, but I wanted to say thank you so very much for now.
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

dodalisque wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 23:29 What jumps out at me from this arrangement of cards - the "loose brick in the wall," as Enrique Enriquez calls it - is the diagonally placed minor cards. In painting, diagonals create a sense of dynamism and movement. Horizontals and verticals give us a feeling of static repose. So if you want change in your life you need to harness the power of those diagonal minors. We have 3, 5, 7 Cups and expect the fourth card to be 9 Cups to complete the sequence. 9 Cups is generally considered to be the most, or one of the most, auspicious and optimistic cards in the deck, combining generosity and stability. But in place of 9 Cups we have 2 swords, which look like the two blades of a pair of scissors. In fact the scissors have cut out the 9 Cups so that you may carry it away with you.
I love this insight. The visual arrangement of the cards contains the answers to the question. And you’re right, the eyes are drawn to the diagonal pips, like they’re cutting through the noise.

P.S. Seeing a reading laid out with the Millennium Edition pushed me to get it as I was already ordering a Conver reproduction from Yves. Looking forward to reading with it!
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

Hi, dodalisque,

Thank you for your patience. I posted a brief response initially intending to return within a day or two to give you a longer one, but then all sorts of things came up. As I mentioned above, I found your reading very hepful and also intriguing from a methodology standpoint. I was fascinated by how you focused more on the minors, which were the additional cards rather than the primary ones, and going further than that, on the present-in-spirit 9 of cups. I will take your recommendation and dedicate time to reflecting on the 9 of cups and continue to return to it.
dodalisque wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 23:29 Hi Kare. Your question is, how can I shift my perspective to a more positive and empowering one?

The deck I am using for this reading is Wilfried Houdouin's "Millennium Tarot" (2011). We have been waiting eagerly for many years for an English translation of the explanatory companion book. I glanced briefly at the French version and it has so many intimidating diagrams that it looks like the repair manual for a Maserati. Houdouin seems to be such a perfectionist that I am beginning to wonder if a translation will ever meet his exacting standards.

But the book is necessary because the thinking behind this deck is unique and highly complex. The images also contain intriguing innovations while retaining the classic TdM look, and I am looking forward to reading about the rationale behind some of Houdouin's decisions. He is a serious scholar of the TdM and for many years has worked as the assistant of Yves Reynaud, who publishes beautiful photographic reproductions of many classic TdM decks.

Precision is the keyword in the Millennium Tarot. Looking at these cards does something strange to my eyes, some mathematical magic embedded in the images which seems capable of inducing a mild trance state. Every aspect of the placing of the figures or objects is governed by exact adherence to the rules of sacred geometry, specifically a design known as Metatron's Cube.

The archangel Metatron, according to Wikipedia, "resonates with the colours white, pink and green. Archangel Metatron represents pure white light, aids children's developmental problems, wisdom, awakenings and new realities. Archangel Metatron is the overseer of the Indigo and Crystal children; those who have incarnated to awaken our planet."

Why am I telling you this? And why did I choose this particular deck? Presumably because my intuition, or something, has identified that a key element in the answer to your question must involve the subject of precision, perfectionism, or prevarication. But perhaps we should look at the cards themselves to find out. The first 5 cards, the cross itself, was drawn from the majors only; the 4 diagonally-placed connecting cards were selected from the pips only; and the tenth card at the top came from the courts, and recommends what is most required of you at this time.

IMG_1397.JPG

1) Temperance; 2) Hanged Man; 3) Devil; 4) Hermit; 5) Fool
6) 2 Swords; 7) 5 Cups; 8) 7 Cups 9) 3 Cups
10) Knight of Coins

I am trying to get away from relying so heavily in readings on the Four Elements in my interpretation of TdM cards. The tradition of linking Coins/Swords/Wands/Cups to Earth/Air/Fire/Water seems more relevant to the RWS and the Golden Dawn tradition of esoteric tarot. So I am trying to learn to look at minor cards as, say, 6 Wands rather than the 6 of Wands. That way I hope to better appreciate the cards as concrete images rather than as receptacles of an established list of generally agreed upon symbolic meanings. It's a subtle distinction but might be interesting. The idea comes from Enrique Enriquez.

I want to cut straight through the BS and jump immediately to the end of the reading. For I believe that the tarot is presenting us here with the formula for a magical procedure designed to rewire your mental and emotional circuits to bring about the dramatic personal transformation you desire.
It's interesting you mention rewiring, because that is an approach I try to take with myself when I feel like adjustments need to be made in how I am coping or approaching things. I try to shift my perspective, do a mindfulness practice, work out, etc., as a tool to prevent me from becoming overly anxious or depressed.

In the paragraph below, I love how you apply artistic principles of horizontal and vertical and diagonal lines. Thinking of a spread as a single image is really intriguing and I will be applying this to my readings in the future. I know I mentioned it in my previous post, but I love the idea of thinking of the swords as cutting out something from the reading. One of my biggest takeaways from this reading will be how to approach readings as a reader. I try not to be too rule bound in my approach, but you have just opened up my view significantly.

When you mention the 9 month gestation period, this feels so fitting. I think that I tend to want to rush change and expect and push for results on a goal right away. If I don't get that, I tend to view it as something I have failed in. But You are so right that this is a process which takes time and the work of transformation. I am thinking that I need to be much more mindful of superficial expectations and allow myself to go with the flow more and accept the process for what it is. I guess that would fit with all that cup energy. And what a relief to imagine it is a lengthy process. It has already been one in which I feel I have waffled about for quite some time, but probably my perspective is based on always looking for those quick results. So I need to do some reevaluation of the last several months as well.
What jumps out at me from this arrangement of cards - the "loose brick in the wall," as Enrique Enriquez calls it - is the diagonally placed minor cards. In painting, diagonals create a sense of dynamism and movement. Horizontals and verticals give us a feeling of static repose. So if you want change in your life you need to harness the power of those diagonal minors. We have 3, 5, 7 Cups and expect the fourth card to be 9 Cups to complete the sequence. 9 Cups is generally considered to be the most, or one of the most, auspicious and optimistic cards in the deck, combining generosity and stability. But in place of 9 Cups we have 2 swords, which look like the two blades of a pair of scissors. In fact the scissors have cut out the 9 Cups so that you may carry it away with you.

What I propose is that you extract the 9 Cups card from a TdM deck and physically carry it with you for 9 months, the necessary gestation period for a rebirth. Carry it in your wallet or place it on a shrine at home. Some place where you will notice it every now and again and be reminded of its purpose. But your unconscious will always remember it is there, so being consciously aware of its presence at all times is not crucially important. Perhaps the magic will work more powerfully if you forget most of the time that the card is even there.
Magic pill. I will never forget this and will always see the Knight of Coins so.
The idea of small pleasures is something that I do need to work on. I have a hard time with that, and also with balancing pleasure with responsibility. Once I finally let myself put a few things aside for something like a reading night, I over do it and read until 3 am for several nights until I finish the book. So reading may be a small pleasure, but not if I binge to the point of exhaustion. And that fits with the Knight and his eye on the pill. I should do this while being mindful of my phsical health.
You will have the card somewhere in your mind in the same way that the Knight of Coins has a magic pill permanently floating in front of him, keeping him company on his journey. Perhaps I am the Knight of Coins bringing the magic pill to you now. However, I notice the headwear of this Knight closely resembles that worn by hospital nurses in previous times. The Red Cross symbol of course is still very familiar today. I wonder if this Knight is supposed to be a medical man. Or not even a man. Look at the long curling yellow hair escaping from the side of the bonnet and the androgynous features, the large eyes and feminine lips. This Knight looks more like a female nurse. The suit of Coins, after all, is usually connected with the material world, the human body, and physical health.

The supreme importance of the minor cards in this reading compared to the relatively unimportant majors indicates that one way forward for you is to focus more attention on small pleasures rather than large issues. Don't worry about "changing your life" - the 9 Cups card is looking after that - but change how you experience a wildflower sprinkled with dew, or a well-cooked meal, or a new pair of jeans. "You do not have to drink the whole river to quench your thirst."
Temperance: you nailed it. Hands very full, and each day I have to remember to much nore humble goals than I am used to, and to remember that these are actually reasonable.

Hanged Man: The idea of change being enjoyable is definitely not the perspective I have been taking. I will work on this.

The Devil under my feet: there are things I do worry too much about or criticize myself too much for. I need to let my concerns over weaknesses, etc. go. I do obsess over my perceived faults, and having this card in the "things I don't need to worry about" is instructive. I already feel relieved. Permission from tarot to not worry about that stuff I seem to worry most about to no good end.
For the sake of completeness, let's look briefly at the cross shape made by the major cards:

1) a toi - things personal to you, happening now: Temperance (XIV)
You have your hands full. Don't be so hard on yourself. Balance requires constant movement and a thousand tiny readjustments. Just maintaining your position and keeping it together in the modern world can be a remarkable feat in itself.

2) a la tete (at your head) - your thoughts, dreams and hopes: Hanged Man (XII)
You seem to think you need to turn your world completely upside down in order to become a better, more productive person, but the Hanged Man is suffering. Consider the possibility that when change comes in 9 months time - and it may happen gradually without any dramatic shocks or breakthroughs - it could be an enjoyable experience rather than a torture test.

3) aux pieds (at your feet) - things you least care about: Devil (XV)
Only you can really identify the Devil in this image. Is the Devil your boss at work? your spouse? an eating disorder? heroin addiction?! Whatever or whoever the Devil is in your life, holding your happiness hostage, that is what you should "least care about". Don't blame others or even yourself for perceived weaknesses or failings. Actions, even tiny actions, are far more potent than obsessively thinking or talking about something, "caring" about it, and causing yourself worry.
This process and concern about change has definitely given me a sense of isolation. I do tend to self-isolate anyway, but yet again you have given me a way to shift my perspective and reflect on this idea. I prefer isolation often, but thinking of how my concerns have isolated me gives me a lot to think about. It is an insightful observation you have made.

The Fool. What could be a better card. I should approach all of this with that hopeful energy.

What a lovely, lovely reading. I am sure I will return to this many times. You have given me a way to evaluate my concerns and an approach to handle them.

Thank you so much!
4) a cote (at your side) - your support or opposition: Hermit (IX)
A hermit is usually thought of as being someone far away, so perhaps you feel you that your most loving supporters are distant from you. However the Hermit is holding up his lamp, casting a spotlight on Temperance. Somebody is fascinated by you and finds what you are doing remarkable. This Hermit, unlike some Hermit cards I have seen, has a quiet smile on his face. The 2 Swords, the pair of scissors, perhaps cuts the link between the Hanged Man (i.e. your thinking) and the Hermit (i.e. your support). So possibly your concern about the necessity for dramatic change risks separating you from those who love you. Perhaps they already love you just the way you are.

5) ta surprise (your surprise) - things you least expect to happen: Fool
What you "least expect to happen" is that you will get a brand new fresh start. Since you say you have been asking various tarot readers essentially the same question for so long, perhaps you had almost stopped hoping that real change was possible. Keep that 9 Cups card in your shoulder-bag for 9 months and it will work potent magic that will "surprise" you. We see 9 bells on the Fool - 4 on his belt and 5 on his collar - the same golden colour as the cups - so you should carry cheerful music with you wherever you go.

IMG_1408.JPG
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

kare wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 19:46 what a relief to imagine it is a lengthy process.
Thanks so much for your kind words and wonderful feedback. I remember reading something once about the great man of 20th century hypnosis, Milton Erickson. He always said that "Hypnosis is not a cure but a means of establishing a favorable climate in which to learn", and one of his clients came to him for months without being cured at all. She brought in an emotional problem that seemed completely puzzling and intractable to both client and doctor. After many unsuccessful sessions, they said their farewells at the door of his office, but as the client was turning to go, Erickson said, "Your answer will come to you when you see a flash of colour." Ten years later, while she was walking by the river near her home, the voice of Erickson saying that phrase appeared in her mind at the exact instant a kingfisher flashed across her vision, and in that moment she knew what she must do. In hypnosis this is apparently known as a trans-derivational search. Our unconscious mind is set a puzzle and goes off in search of an answer. It is a bit like figuring out the answer to a crossword puzzle clue two months after throwing out the newspaper. Sometimes the unconscious needs time to figure things out. It's funny, but sometimes worrying about it can actually slow down the process.
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

dodalisque wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 22:40
kare wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 19:46 what a relief to imagine it is a lengthy process.
Thanks so much for your kind words and wonderful feedback. I remember reading something once about the great man of 20th century hypnosis, Milton Erickson. He always said that "Hypnosis is not a cure but a means of establishing a favorable climate in which to learn", and one of his clients came to him for months without being cured at all. She brought in an emotional problem that seemed completely puzzling and intractable to both client and doctor. After many unsuccessful sessions, they said their farewells at the door of his office, but as the client was turning to go, Erickson said, "Your answer will come to you when you see a flash of colour." Ten years later, while she was walking by the river near her home, the voice of Erickson saying that phrase appeared in her mind at the exact instant a kingfisher flashed across her vision, and in that moment she knew what she must do. In hypnosis this is apparently known as a trans-derivational search. Our unconscious mind is set a puzzle and goes off in search of an answer. It is a bit like figuring out the answer to a crossword puzzle clue two months after throwing out the newspaper. Sometimes the unconscious needs time to figure things out. It's funny, but sometimes worrying about it can actually slow down the process.
This really resonates. I can have a hard time letting go of control, and that is a feature of the way in which I worry. Thank you.

Return to “Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”