This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

Post by Joan Marie »

fungi_john wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 22:35 I look forward to being a member of this community, and I hope that someday I might be helpful as well.
Welcome John! Thank you for joining us. 🌸
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
MissRedDress
Seeker

Post by MissRedDress »

Hello, I just found this group while looking for advice on reading TdM / pips cards, and had to sign up right away! I've loved tarot for 23years and was gifted my first deck after telling all my school friends how much I had fallen for the images of the Haindl deck in the album style folder which used to be on display at Mysteries in Covent Garden. I read with that deck for myself and friends for 12 years before discovering there were other (slightly easier) RWS style decks in the world.
After this discovery I was drawn to decks that helped me draw into my inner personal world (for me this was Bonfire which I picked up the indie version of, Next World which I got signed when Christy Roads came to my hometown Brighton in the UK and the Ghetto tarot which tbh I am still making my mind up about but as it came at an important milestone in my life- which is when my son was born- I am holding onto it).
I am now at a stage where finally feel ready to read for others again and want to return to the Haindl to see how it feels anew and also unpick reading Tarot de Marseilles style type decks to see what depth this brings to my RWS based and Haindl (which I believe is Thoth based) readings.
I look forward to chatting and discussing this and much else with you all.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hello, and welcome! The Haindl was one of my first decks too, although I hardly read with it. It's only recently when revisiting the I Ching that I began to appreciate its depth.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
runecaster
Seeker

Post by runecaster »

HI - just joined seconds ago but I have been reading the tarot for years now. My first deck was an IJJ Swiss, since then, I've moved on the other decks but I always come back to the RvW. I have a modest collection of decks and am using the newer Crow right now.

Happy to be here and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

runecaster wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:15 Happy to be here and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Welcome! Thank you for joining us!
oaktreeheart79
Seeker

Post by oaktreeheart79 »

Hi, new here, nice to 'meet' you all. Started reading tarot - rider waite, last autmn. My mum used to read tarot and before her nana read tea leaves. For some reason the time feels right to start learning the craft myself. I have occasional 'hearings' that come true but these are few and far between. My mum often sees things but again this is isn't a regular thing. Mum sadly isn't as available to teach me due to health problems so i'm starting from scratch as it were. Currently only reading for self and one or two close friends, cards pulled have been quite accurate as regards to current situations but i sometimes struggle to interpret the cards as a whole narrative together, but i am enjoying learning. Hope to learn lots here, much love from yorkshire x
middia
Seeker

Post by middia »

Hi :blush:
I'm a card decks passionate. I design, collect and use them with love. I draw I paint I imagine :blush:
It started in highschool with classic cards found in my mom's drower. Today I have many decks. Tarot and oracle ones. Some are just beautiful piece of art, another very usefull with selfwork. I prefer psychological reading. My favorite and most trustfull deck is Shadowscapes Tarot.
Hugs for all my brothers an sisters in addiction :wink:
Klara
I draw I paint I imagine
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

middia wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 10:23 My favorite and most trustfull deck is Shadowscapes Tarot.
Hugs for all my brothers an sisters in addiction :wink:
Klara
Hi, welcome to the forum!
I've got the deck collecting bug too and I adore the Shadowscapes! I have the Czech version, it's lovely.
middia
Seeker

Post by middia »

Mokona wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 18:24 (...) I have the Czech version, it's lovely.
Me too :heart_eyes:
I draw I paint I imagine
thespiderking
Seeker

Post by thespiderking »

Ok, so I am actually just getting into the idea of Tarot and card reading. One of my friends introduced me to the idea a couple of days ago, and my father had an unopened pack of 1971 Rider-Waite Tarot cards so I started getting into it. Now I'm just trying to get deeper into it.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

thespiderking wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 21:00 Now I'm just trying to get deeper into it.
Welcome! Glad you've joined us!
Laura Mayfair
Seeker

Post by Laura Mayfair »

Hello, everyone! It's so nice to meet you.

How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?
I started reading Tarot when I was 14. My sister had a copy of the Thoth Tarot and I began doing readings for myself with the Little White Book.

What was your first deck and where did you get it?
My first deck was the Hanson-Roberts Tarot. I can't remember where I bought it but I'm thinking it was Borders or Waldenbooks. Or it could have been a local metaphysical shop.

Do you have a favourite deck? Why?
The Paulina Tarot. This was the first deck I ever owned where I felt I didn't have to learn its language at all; I already spoke it. The dreamy, fey artwork felt so poetic and beautiful and I love each and every card. It's the deck I would take with me if my house were on fire. I think it's one of the last decks US Games printed in Italy and the cardstock is just so yummy, too.

Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?
Well...I'm a Pisces. With a Gemini Moon. So many Tarot topics appeal to me. Symbolism, the artwork, creative writing, reading for myself, reading for others, history, reading groups, all the things. I also enjoy reading Oracles and have dabbled with Lenormand.

I love using Tarot as a tool for insight and perspective. I'm an agnostic so I don't know about God -- but I do know that Tarot does help me connect with something eternal and beautiful. And I'm glad I've been walking with Tarot these many years. It has, and continues to be, an important part of my life.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Laura Mayfair wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 01:15 I love using Tarot as a tool for insight and perspective. I'm an agnostic so I don't know about God -- but I do know that Tarot does help me connect with something eternal and beautiful. And I'm glad I've been walking with Tarot these many years. It has, and continues to be, an important part of my life.
Welcome Laura! Thank you so much for sharing your story here. It's great to have you!
MissRiss808
Seeker

New member's tarot story! :)

Post by MissRiss808 »

Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this community.
My story is quiet a journey. I started sophomore year of high school with the Mandala Astrology Tarot cards. I read the entire book front to back, and would hang out with my friends and read their cards. Consistently I did that for about 2 years or so. Once I got out of high school, life took over. I never STOPPED reading, I just stopped reading consistently. I didn't get my first oracle deck until about 3 years ago. I was moving from Oklahoma to Minnesota, and while in Minnesota I noticed all these metaphysical shops and found out Minnesota has one of the largest Pagan communities. Now, I can't say that I am pagan. I hold many values and beliefs of paganism, but to me spirituality is personal. I grew up in a multicultural/bi racial household. My mother is a mexican immigrant so I've been surrounded by santaria my entire life. My abuelita(grandma) is a currandera (healer) and both my mom and abuelita have been given Orisha's by actual shamans of Yoruba. Anyways, when I randomly walked into a metaphysical store I had no intention of buying oracle cards. Usually I just go wherever the universe leads me. I stumbled upon The Norse Viking oracle deck. Before I went inside, I found this beautiful pine tree and a pine cone had dropped directly at my feet. It didn't make much sense until I found that deck. I knew I had to get it. Come to find out, a good way to bless this deck is with pine needles, pine cones, and sage. After moving to Minnesota, my passion in cards kick started again. I've been here for almost 3 years and have become more spiritual than ever, the growth of myself has been tremendous and I think the cards have led me to all the reasons I've found happiness and peace within myself here.

My boyfriend of a year and a half actually confessed his attraction to me after I was doing a reading for him. We worked at a video game company and while waiting for technology to work I was doing a reading for a friend sitting to the left of me. My now boyfriend sitting to the right of me saw the whole reading and the "accuracies" I was getting so he asked me to read his. I didn't know too much about him and his life, so when I got done with the reading, he was just shocked. I had read about his attraction to someone (two of cups, queen of wands, the sun) but he wasn't going after this person because of depression caused by baggage, possibly from an ex (Nine of Swords, Eight of Swords, and Queen of Cups reversed). The outcome if he went for this person was 10 of cups. If he didn't, he'd regret it because he'd miss his chance (five of cups). I had no idea he was interested in me. When him and I did talk, once he told me he liked a girl that worked on the other shift. So about a few hours after that reading on a smoke break, he admits to me that I'm the person he's attracted to and he'd like to get to know me. Few days later I find about his baggage-a "child" his ex uses as a pawn to manipulate him. He thought that would scare me off, but it did the opposite because I felt like I could really make a difference in his cloudy world. Here we are almost 2 years later, and we have a bright, joyous, fulfilling relationship. If not for that reading, I always wonder if he wouldve had the courage to be honest about his attraction. I'm now 25, and incredibly committed to all my cards. I have a collection of oracle cards. Tarot decks I only have 2 because I have to feel a connection instantly before buying a deck. My newest tarot deck after using my Manga tarot is the Golden Wheel tarot deck and I'm SO INLOVE <3 Anyways, can't wait to talk/meet all of you and I hope you're having a blessed month~

xoxo Marissa
DannyG
Seeker

Post by DannyG »

Hi everyone! I bought a tarot deck several years ago (the box was not in that great shape, but cards looked almost barely used) at a flea market very cheap, while I was browsing for some old books. It was just from pure curiosity and I liked the colors and images.When I came home I just stuffed it away. Only recently I started getting into the tarot.I lost my job not that long ago, and while I was reorganizing the house, I found it laying at the bottom drawer and somehow I felt it starring at me :) I just took the cards out and started messing about with them, trying to read for myself and started studying the images more carefully. I looked on the internet about the topic, I checked some books and watched a couple of videos, but It was all overwhelming to me, and it somehow felt too tedious to me that I will need to read and study x number of books, that mostly present you the same stuff(meanings of the cards and in addition a lot the esoteric information that I was not interested in), so I just started doing it on my own and firstly going card by card and then practicing with a simple spreads,trying to decipher on my own what is it that they show me. I do not believe that cards can tell me the future but after fiddling with the images for a while I started feeling they somehow perfectly project how I was feeling at the moment and showing me how and from what angle I should deal with some of the situations at hand, and to my amazement more clearly than I could see for myself! I still feel that I was just talking to myself basically and that the cards were/are just a tool that helped me, but I am still not sure how to feel about some things that have happened that I saw them play out in the cards beforehand. Coincidence? :?
So I started my search for the answers :D

P.S That deck that I have bought years ago and that I am using is Ancien Tarot De Marseille - Grimaud. Also I am sorry if I didn't convey my thoughts more clearly, English is not my first language.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

DannyG wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 23:08 P.S That deck that I have bought years ago and that I am using is Ancien Tarot De Marseille - Grimaud. Also I am sorry if I didn't convey my thoughts more clearly, English is not my first language.
Hi Danny! You convey your thoughts very clearly.
Thank you so much for sharing this.

I have a similar relationship to tarot as you, using them more to try and understand the present than to look into the future.
For looking into the future I use Lenormand!

Welcome and thanks for joining us here.
Gane
Seeker

Post by Gane »

Good Morning Everyone.

I am a total newbie. I received my first RW deck in January so my journey has just begun. I will mostly be a lurker, dabbling my feet in the shallow end until I get more confident. I've been doing a lot of reading watching youtube videos and lucking.

Gane
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Gane wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 14:58 I will mostly be a lurker, dabbling my feet in the shallow end until I get more confident.
Gane
Hi Gane! Welcome and thanks for joining us. Lurk all you want! Lurkers are always welcome. Jump in whenever you are ready. 🌺
neeta
Seeker

Post by neeta »

hello all
I have joined, I joined an tarot group on facebook but they were for the rider waite tarot deck which I thought I own but the French version, so I ask an question and get told no you have ''Since you are using a Marseilles deck, you may find it more useful to ask in one of the Marseilles groups. Most of this group's members are more familiar with reading RWS.'' so googled Marseilles groups and thats how I am here.
I brought my deck when I was a teenager a few years now and have never really bonded with the deck so I will look for a new one when the shops open. Looking forward to chat with you. thanks for reading. Neeta xx
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Welcome neeta!
We have a lot of different conversations going on here about al kinds of decks and things.
Take your time looking around and jump in any time you like with a question or comment.

Have fun! Nice to have you here.
sshin02143
Seeker

Post by sshin02143 »

I originally studied tarot with Builders of the Adytum in 1973 but quit for many years, starting back up in 2009. I have passed 4 levels of B.O.T.A. courses thus far (April 2021). I especially enjoy the B.O.T.A. approach to tarot. Their deck, which comes uncolored, I colored using their instructions, thus my deck is personalized with my vibration and personality. I have many other decks, but I feel the B.O.T.A. deck speaks to me most of all.

I am not interested in divination at all. In B.O.T.A. divination is taught in one of their more advanced courses, but I am a long distance from that! I study tarot for personal development and healing. I just enjoy meditating on the tarot keys, usually once a day. My religion is Shin Buddhism, a form of Mahayana Pure Land Buddhism founded in 13th century Japan.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Welcome! And thank you so much for sharing your story.
You have such an interesting background and I think there are at least a few places here on the forum that fit well for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy! 🌿
kennethwattsreadings
Seeker

Post by kennethwattsreadings »

Hey guys! New to the site also!

To answer the above questions...

1. My grandmother gave me my first reading at 12 or so with her Morgan Greer deck and the rest is history, I was hooked.

2. My first deck was a Robin Wood deck. After that first reading I went on a hunt for the perfect starter deck, the one I most related to. Once I found images of the Robin Wood deck online, I knew that was my deck.

3. I would say my favourite decks are the Robin Wood (naturally), The Fountain Tarot, and the Dali Tarot. The Robin Wood is very true to the Rider Waite images and meanings, as is The Fountain Tarot. The Robin Wood gives very clear, easily understood images. The Fountain Tarot uses watery colours and soft lines to allow your mind's eye and intuition more... multiplicity of meaning in the moment. I find the same with the Dali Tarot (allow my psychic eye to pick up on more).

4. My topic of greatest interest would probably be readings themselves! I love doing them, reading about how people go about theirs, things they incorporate, etc. Always looking to broaden my horizons and try new things. =)
Artemis
Seeker

Post by Artemis »

Hi,lovely to meet you! I am new here and looking forward to learning more.
I have always been interested in astrology, tarots and I Ching. My mother was fascinated by I Ching and would also regularly have Tarot readings, so I had my first professional reading in my teens. I have used Tarots for many years, although I have never really committed to studying them as they deserve and I feel the time has come now!
I have two decks, R-W I have had for some years and recently I got Mucha, which is the one I am using more now. I like the Mucha images, they are quite similar yo the RW so it's easier for me to find my feet, and they are not just beautiful but I also feel they have a positive outlook.
I do daily draws in the morning of one card, my daily card allows me to study one card every day in more details and it is fascinating to see how the cards actually talk to me and fit perfectly with what's going on in my life. Sometimes, if I have a pressing question, I would also do a spread, usually with only 3-4 cards, as I like to look at each card in detail, research it, take notes, and learn as much as I can so that I can get better at interpreting what the cards are telling me. Often I get stuck and I am not sure about what the message is and that is when I would love you to come and help with your ideas and comments..and of course your knowledge!
I am keen to learn more about nuances, meanings and different interpretations of the cards and hope you will have help me out here. Sounds like a lot of the people in this community have a lot of experience 🙂
Pamela
Seeker

Post by Pamela »

Happy I found you all and looking forward to what looks like a fun and interesting learning environment. I am a Taurus born during the new moon. Most of my career has been as an academic librarian and English instructor. I am a nature lover and an herbalist. I have had decks for a long time but have been really diving in this past year, practicing daily for myself and with people on Zoom, taking classes, and reading a lot. I am interested in just about everything, maybe especially the intellectual history of the tarot and reading the cards for insight into the intersection of the material and the spiritual. I like to make up spreads that combine the Marseille Deck for the aesthetics and some version of the Waite/Smith deck for the occult symbolism.

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”