This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

Post by Joan Marie »

Hello Kay and Ana! Thank you both so much for joining us and welcome!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rose Crystal
Seeker

Post by Rose Crystal »

Hello, all

I am a volva, inspired by the Norse tradition of heathenry, born in 1974.

My ancestors are all farmers, and I follow this cultural tradition myself, living on a farm in Viken, Norway with my husband and son.

I was raised in this farming culture, so very tuned into weather, the earth and growth processes that being an animist came natural to me. I've always felt the synchronicities of time, land and spirit without really trying to explain them. They were just a natural part of my world.

I got introduced to Tarot by chance. I found a deck of cards when I was 19 years old, and got very fascinated by the system. It was the traditional Rider Waite, and I loved the symbols, the myths and the intuition it sparked. I thought that it all clicked into the world we lived in; a Christian world based on Pagans. I got hooked. I have now given my old RW deck to a dear and beloved daughter of a friend of mine, she seemed to have a natural talent, and I replaced it with a DruidCraft deck. I use the DruidCraft when I read professionally, but also when I do readings for myself, every now and then. I also have a Withces Tarot deck that I use for galders, or spells, if you like. I also have a Thoth deck, that I've occasionally used for spirit contact, and a Norse Tarot, that I haven't used much yet. I don't think it would be right to compare the decks, and call any of them a favourite or say that I prefer one over another. As you see, I've found them all to be good in the different functions I've found them useful for. I'm certainly not a collector, I stick to the decks I've made a connection to, but I am always open to try new uses for the Tarot, and then I'm willing to look for new decks to fill that purpose. I like the mythic and philosophical part of the Tarot very much, and the way synchronicities work will never stop amazing me, although it doesn't have the same shocking effect anymore as it had when I was a newbie.

Besides being a professional Tarot reader, I'm also a farmer, educator and poet. As you sure understand, I don't have much time to do readings, so I have to reduce the time spent on this for periods of time. I've therefore decided to sell some of my services through the Etsy platform right now.

I'm trained as an educator and hold a vocational degree in "Children with Special needs" and besides farming, writing and reading the Tarot, I work with special education in a kindergarten.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Filidh Lochlannach wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 08:12 I am a volva, inspired by the Norse tradition of heathenry, born in 1974.
Welcome and thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I hope you find many niches here for all your interests.
kiddeternity
Seeker

Post by kiddeternity »

Hi, I'm Allie. I'm happy to be here. I stumbled across this site in a mad quest to track down The Cult of Weimar tarot. More on that below. :)

How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?

------My grandmother taught me to read tarot when I was around 14, just starting high school, and thoroughly creepy -- giving me an almost 30 year relationship, on and off, to varying degrees of seriousness. I didn't get into oracles until about 5 years ago, and my best friend gave me my first Lenormand (Pixie's) about 7 years ago. I also have a deck of Loteria cards that I've done a deep study with, making connections to the riddles and symbols. Haven't really delved much into reading playing cards, but I'd like to. I also am a writer (fiction, poetry, essays) and teach Divinitory Poetics workshops from time to time. I find card incredibly helpful in generating new work as well as guiding the editing process.

What was your first deck and where did you get it?

---------First deck I used were my mother and grandmother's copies of the Rider Waite Smith deck. A friend in high school gave me a mini Smith Waite deck around the same time. I also had the Buckland Romani Deck as a first deck.

Do you have a favourite deck? Why?

---------I love all of my decks a little differently, and select different decks (or combinations of decks) for different energies, different moon phases, or different celebrations/seasons. That said, the decks I return to most often are probably the 5 Cent Tarot or Liz Huston's Dreamkeepers Tarot. There's something about the vintage art and animal figures of the 5 Cent Tarot that really appeals to me, and I appreciate the the keywords are worked into the scene of the card. I love the surreal beauty of Huston's art, and the paintings that she chose for each card. I also really like my Tarot of the Zirkus Magi. My favorite oracle in Emilie Autumn's Asylum Oracle. I gravitate towards vintage-style collage or digital collage decks, decks with surrealist influences, or illustrated cartoon-y style decks. I prefer a more gothy, gloomy, or dark feel to decks as well. I found this site while looking for information on the Cult of Weimar deck, since it hits all my favorite tarot aesthetics, and as an undergrad, I studied Weimar film as part of my German Lit degree.

Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?

---------I am really interested in tarot design and independent production, and making my own deck is a goal I'd like to achieve, since I've also noticed that I tend to purchase more independently produced decks than mass market decks.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

kiddeternity wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 20:47 Hi, I'm Allie. I'm happy to be here. I stumbled across this site in a mad quest to track down The Cult of Weimar tarot.
Well, I'm happy to let you know that a 2nd edition of Cult of Tarot is on the way!
I believe in Crystal Light.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings and welcome, Filidh Lochlannach and Allie, many thanks for sharing your fascinating stories.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

kiddeternity wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 20:47 Hi, I'm Allie. I'm happy to be here. I stumbled across this site in a mad quest to track down The Cult of Weimar tarot. More on that below. :) ....

I studied Weimar film as part of my German Lit degree.
So glad you've found us, and yes I am very close to launching the Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition Cult of Weimar Deck.

I've set up a mailing list for anyone interested in updates about it: https://bit.ly/CultofWeimar2

There are so many great books (and films) about Weimar Cinema, but one of my favourites is "Shell Shock Cinema: Weimar Culture and the Wounds of War" by Anton Kaes. He pretty much debunks the theory about Weimar Cinema that dominated for years in "From Caligari to Hitler" by Siegfried Kracauer whose theory was that the films of the Weimar time were prescient of things to come rather than a direct response to the recent horrors of WW1 (including the influenza outbreak).

Kaes postulates that the films were far more likely to be products of their time rather than unknowing predictions of the future and offers myriad examples of the references to the physical, emotional, personal and social issues played out symbolically over and over in the films of Weimar Cinema.

I'm geeking out now. And also in the throes of writing the accompanying booklet.

Welcome!!
Greywaren
Seeker

Post by Greywaren »

Hi fellow tarot enthusiasts.

My name is Greywaren and I've read tarot on and off since 2014.

I started learning tarot after one of the darkest times in my life followed by something of a bizarre internal metamorphosis. That's the only way I can describe it. I tried to research what was happening to me and ended up down the rabbit hole that led me to tarot.

I'm returning to tarot after about a year of not so much as shuffling a deck. I feel like it's been a process of unlearning everything that no longer felt useful and trying to see the cards differently with more depth.

I'm less of a 'spiritual' reader, I tend to prefer seeing how the cards fit in to the physical realm and everyday issues, but do try to see how they fit in to spirituality too although I don't have much of knowledge of a lot of the spiritual concepts.

I'm probably not making much sense but hopefully it will become clearer through active participation on the boards.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Greywaren wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 13:30 I'm probably not making much sense but hopefully it will become clearer through active participation on the boards.
You're making perfect sense! Welcome and than you for joining us. Look forward to seeing you around the forum!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi Greywaren, welcome to the forum. :)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Niall
Seeker

Post by Niall »

Hello,

My name is Niall , it is Nice to be here.

I may go into more detail but I got into Tarot via a few playing card readings I was prompted to give at 12 - 13 years old.

Within a year a man gifted a Richard Gardner deck to me as he believed it brought him bad luck when the shed he put them in had a little fire . Then I was given a 1971 RWS with no laminate, which I still have .

I took on the Thoth deck at 16 but was overwhelmed for about a year by its symbolism. I made a study of Astrology and Qabalah and after using RWS returned to Thoth again for reading.

My ideal reading is a face to face one, which is probably true for most people. .

I shall elaborate more soon as am tapping on a little phone.

Very best.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings Niall, and welcome to the forum. :)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Welcome to our new members - you all have the most amazing stories! Imagine .... a farmer, educator, poet, tarot reader - in a magical place like Norway - that sounds like the blurb of a novel I'd love to read.

I wish you all a great time here on CoT and I'm curious to learn from each and everyone.
QueenofWands
Seeker

Post by QueenofWands »

How did you get started in Tarot?

I just got started in Tarot after a friend did a reading for me as a fun gesture and it was very much what I needed to hear at the time. It affirmed something I was struggling with and helped me articulate the challenge I was facing more clearly.

What was your first deck and where did you get it? I haven't picked up a physical deck yet but I did download the MAAT deck on an app.

I'd like a RW to work with in person. I also very much like the Herbal and Herb Crafters decks, as well as some of the really beautifully illustrated decks like The Greenwood or Wildwood Tarot or The Good Tarot. I'm attracted to lush colors and nature themes.

Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?
Really just the introspective aspect of it is very interesting to me.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Welcome to the forum, QueenofWands :)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Welcome to Niall and QueenOfWands!

Lovely that you have joined us!
QueenofWands
Seeker

Post by QueenofWands »

Pen wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 06:47 Welcome to the forum, QueenofWands :)
Thank you! Love your EAP quote. :)
rayyana123
Seeker

Post by rayyana123 »

HI MY NAME IS JANNAT, I AM A NEW TAROT READER JUST TRYING TO CONNECT WITH OTHER LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, I HAVE A NEW TAROT CHANNEL AND WOULD LOVE FOR EVERYONE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL BELOW. THANKS IN ADVANCE

I POSTED BELOW MY CHANNEL:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNeUFr ... yV3Jnvwm3Q
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings, and welcome to the forum Jannat. :)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
chakrakids
Seeker

Post by chakrakids »

hello fellow card lovers! I'm glad to have found this space. I've loved oracle decks for years and am just now diving into learning the symbolism of tarot, with dreams to create my own tarot deck one day!

How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?
About 12 years ago, a friend of mine did a reading for me with her cards and I fell in love with the simplicity and power of the messages.

What was your first deck and where did you get it?
That same friend gifted me the Goddess Oracle deck for my birthday shortly after. I remember the first card I pulled too- Sulis, the goddess of illness and wellness- it was SPOT ON, and I was hooked.

Over the years, I've had many decks I loved- the Spirit of the Wheel stands out. Recently, I created an expanded version of my first oracle deck. When I started the process of meditating on new card meanings and messages, I found myself wanting to give away all of my decks except my two newest ones. It was a lovely process to intuitively choose who to share the decks with. My crystal healing deck (that one was a bit tough to release) went to a good friend who is learning about crystals. My Earth Magic Oracle Cards went to a friend who used to use them when she taught at a sweet, little learning center I used to run.
So now, my current favorites and the ones I'm working with on my alter are The Starseed Oracle and Work your Light Oracle.
And, I'm getting to know my new deck! I made a cardstock copy of it on my home printer and just started the very cards from it!

I'm really interested in learning more about Tarot for my personal development and eventually to create a deck. I'm also endlessly obsessed with symbolism and can't wait to check that out!

I'd love for you all to check out my new deck- it's great for beginners through experienced readers, perfect for a kid's first deck and also for inner child healing. It's been cool to hear from intuitive development and reiki teachers who use the deck to help teach to their students. It features original characters I created to help teach the wisdom chakras and yoga in a fun way.
Here's the link: https://bit.ly/chakra-kids-oracle
Attachments
New deck, with a box this version!
New deck, with a box this version!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

chakrakids wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 17:43
I'd love for you all to check out my new deck- it's great for beginners through experienced readers, perfect for a kid's first deck and also for inner child
Hi and welcome! We have a section here called Current Crowdfunding
viewforum.php?f=17

You can go ahead post all about your deck there and link to your kickstarter.

Thanks for joining us!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi and welcome, chakrakids! :D
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Ishtar73
Seeker

Post by Ishtar73 »

Hi all! This is my first tarot forum, though I am not a young person, nor am I new to tarot. I'm 47 years old and started my spiritual journey from around 12/13 years old when my mum gave me a rune set for my birthday. It wasn't long after that I acquired my first deck, a Rider Waite.....that was the early 90s and there was no internet and no magazines available about occult stuff. I learned what I could from the scant collection of tarot books at the one occult bookstore in my whole state (Western Australia). I wish there had been resources then like there are now. I have since added to my tarot collection and consider the Thoth as a long standing favourite, though I've been inspired and connected to the Prisma Visions of more recent times.

I cannot say I've been deeply into tarot since I started but I have been on and off as life would allow. I've been an initiated First Degree witch with a coven for many years then when that dissolved I've been solitary and sometimes nothing at all. I've recently dusted off my tarot cards as I'm being called back with a strong desire to reconnect with my spirituality, and tarot is helping with this. I figured getting in touch with a community such as this one may also help.

I'm looking forward to chatting with people about tarot and other occulty things, learning and helping where I can.
Blessed be!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Ishtar73 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 01:47 I'm looking forward to chatting with people about tarot and other occulty things, learning and helping where I can.
Blessed be!
Hey thanks for joining us! Glad you found us. 🏵
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings and welcome, Ishtar73. I think you've come to the right place to continue your tarot journey. :moon:
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”