This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
JohnneeCurtis
Seeker

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

Post by JohnneeCurtis »

Hello all!
My name is John Jennison and I'm a tarot reader (mostly for myself) and illustrator.
I received my first tarot deck at 12 years old. It was the Marseilles deck and while I loved the major arcana and found it easy to read I fell a little flat with the non pictorial element of the minor. When I went off to college I hung up my tarot cards and didn't pick them back up again till I was in my 30's. At with point I got a Rider-Waite-Smith deck and I became a more avid reader. Fast forward to 2018 I started illustrating a deck which I am now launching that focus on queer male ascetic and positive forms of masculine energy. I wanted to create a queer deck that encompassed the world I saw around me and my own friends. All shapes, sizes and colors of male identifying humans. You can see the images on my KS here:

Outside of that I have been working with the cards mostly as a way of self therapy and looking at my life situations from a perception that I wouldn't usually take. This has been helpful in many ways as the past ten years of my live have had many ups and downs that I felt I had no control over. But by using the cards I was able to take control of my own story and feel empowered.

At the moment I'm using Matt Hughes Ethereal Visions deck and have been enjoying the story telling flow.

I look forward to connecting with you all!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

JohnneeCurtis wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 20:34 Hello all!
My name is John Jennison and I'm a tarot reader (mostly for myself) and illustrator.
Welcome John! Its nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Amazing stories here - Raven, Unusual_Tarot, John, welcome to all of you and those I didn't mention.
LStevens
Seer

Post by LStevens »

Hi

My name is Lynda and I used to atte d pay hic fairs a d give readings whilst living in the UK.

I have lived in Budapest for many years though and when not teach g English as a day job, have been an artist creating abstract inner landscapes in mixed media.

I have also created a deck of cards featured on this site, the Chalice Tarot Pack and have made use of the lock down in the last few weeks to edit not just the borders and labels, út also the artwork. The results can be seen here:

app.php/decks_c?start=6
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Hi Lynda! Welcome and thanks for joining us. The more the merrier!

Budapest... what a great city. But I visited it a long long time ago. When the world was still divided by the Iron Curtain.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
LStevens
Seer

Post by LStevens »

It is a beautiful city now, I have seen it change a lot over the years though. There are the ruin pubs and many more restaurants and pubs
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings and welcome, John and Lynda. :)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Laluli
Seeker

Post by Laluli »

Hello!

I am Iara Côrtes. Mother, wife, Canadian, Brazilian, designer and illustrator. I have a strong passion for Tarot art, history & symbolism :geek: and I have 10 green thumbs :mrgreen: . I have combined these two passions to create the La Flora TAROT and La Flora ORACLE decks.

Please, check my project on Kickstarter – http://bit.ly/lafloratarot and follow along on Instagram @lafloratarot

Thank you for having me here! :D
La Flora Tarot
ON KICKSTARTER http://bit.ly/lafloratarot
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Your cards look beautiful and intriguing. I hope you'll be active in the deck creator's corner of this forum!

Have a look at the following sub-forums:

viewforum.php?f=17

viewforum.php?f=18

viewforum.php?f=31

I'd love to see and hear more about your cards, and how to read with them.

I was just thinking how strongly botanical-themed decks attract me but how little I know how to read with them - and how difficult it is for me to find an intuitive connection to a deck with plants that I simply don't know.

Your cards look wonderful, and I followed you on Instagram already :-)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings and welcome!
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Laluli
Seeker

Post by Laluli »

Nemia wrote: 05 May 2020, 17:24 Your cards look beautiful and intriguing. I hope you'll be active in the deck creator's corner of this forum!
I was just thinking how strongly botanical-themed decks attract me but how little I know how to read with them - and how difficult it is for me to find an intuitive connection to a deck with plants that I simply don't know.

Your cards look wonderful, and I followed you on Instagram already :-)
Hello Nemia,

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I am not only new to Cult of Tarot forum but, this is the first time I participate in a forum, ever! I am learning the hopes but so far this feels like a good place to be. Thank you for mentioning the creator’s corner. I will definitely check it out.
Also, thank you for the compliments and the follow! It helps to sooth the butterflies in my stomach now that the launch is quickly approaching.
I hear what you say about being attracted to botanical decks but not connecting with them for an actual reading. I plan to share more on the background story on how I made the connections on Instagram soon, so I am glad you are already there. :D

Take care,
La Flora Tarot
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Laluli wrote: 05 May 2020, 16:23 Hello!

I am Iara Côrtes. Mother, wife, Canadian, Brazilian, designer and illustrator. I have a strong passion for Tarot art, history & symbolism :geek: and I have 10 green thumbs :mrgreen: . I have combined these two passions to create the La Flora TAROT and La Flora ORACLE decks.

Please, check my project on Kickstarter – bit.ly/laforatarot and follow along on Instagram @lafloratarot

Thank you for having me here! :D
Thank you so much for joining us!

I am happy to add your Kickstarter project to our homepage, there is an info box o the right side with "current" crowd-funding campaigns,(I need to update it-sorry!) This link you provided doesn't seem to work.

I love that you have created an Oracle and Tarot version of your work.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here and find lots of interesting things to read and participate in! And please let me know if you need any assistance at all with anything.

EDIT: I am also happy to add your decks to our Library of Decks, See this link for details:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46
Laluli
Seeker

Post by Laluli »

Joan Marie wrote: 06 May 2020, 08:36
Thank you so much for joining us!
I love that you have created an Oracle and Tarot version of your work.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here and find lots of interesting things to read and participate in! And please let me know if you need any assistance at all with anything.

EDIT: I am also happy to add your decks to our Library of Decks, See this link for details:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46
Hello Joan Marie!

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and guidance! I am looking forward to spend time here on Cult of Tarot.
La Flora Tarot
Jean
Seer

My Tarot Path

Post by Jean »

I use TdM to explore my dreams and everyday events.

Jean
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hello Jean, that's quite a journey and you've come a long way. I'm so glad you've found CoT, I'm sure you can shine new light on existing ideas.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
VanillaBean
Seeker

Post by VanillaBean »

Okay so, ive been using tarot for at least the last twelsve years **(30 yrs or younger~) * !! Soo, im quite sure ik my truth, but what does these two sequences say to ya’ll?

** interested in comparison **
image.jpg
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

VanillaBean wrote: 27 May 2020, 10:25 Okay so, ive been using tarot for at least the last twelsve years **(30 yrs or younger~) * !! Soo, im quite sure ik my truth, but what does these two sequences say to ya’ll?

** interested in comparison **

image.jpg
Hi VanillaBean! Welcome. I love your username!

Your attached image didn't come through. (you used the attach button that is for attaching a file from an image host)

Just drag and drop it in.
That should work. :D
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi and welcome, VanillaBean!
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
mark lewis
Seer

Post by mark lewis »

Hello everybody! My name is Mark Lewis. I have been a professional tarot reader since 1987. I was very active in Ireland up until 1992 then emigrated to Canada in 1992 where I have travelled all over the country doing readings at psychic fairs. I used to belong to the Aeclatic Tarot Group but hadn't been there for a while and was quite surprised to find that it had finished! Anyway I found this forum instead so as the old saying goes, "When one door closes another one opens"
I am glad to make your acquaintance.

As for how I got started in the Tarot I don't think I dare tell you! Maybe later once you get to know me!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi and welcome Mark! I think it was a shock to most of the members when Aeclectic suddenly closed, but you'll find many here warming their toes by the fire.
mark lewis wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 02:37
As for how I got started in the Tarot I don't think I dare tell you! Maybe later once you get to know me!
Imagination working overtime here... :shock:
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
mark lewis
Seer

Post by mark lewis »

The story of how I started is a bit different than the usual! It will be explained thoroughly in my upcoming book on the Tarot in the very first chapter so I can get it over and done with! It will probably raise a few eyebrows!
smithmcc
Seeker

Post by smithmcc »

Hi
Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I first brought a Marseille deck back in 2007. Then I discarded it opting for the RW. Due to living with my parents at the time I had to leave my passion due to my parents being Devout Christians. That was many years ago. Now due to the lockdown I decided to revisit the card reading and started Le Grand Jeu Lenormand. After a few weeks of hard graft trying to get information I did finally get somewhere with it, but I also discovered Marseille tarot. I watched a video by Vincent Pitisci on youtube, and really liked his way of using Marseille as a way of developing thinking. So here I am. Don't know how far I will get; if i will at all, but I'm hopeful.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

smithmcc wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 04:42 Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I
Thank you for joining us! And thank you for sharing your story. Enjoy the forum!
kmporterfield
Seeker

Post by kmporterfield »

Hi All,
My name is Kay. I first became interested in tarot in college during the late 1960s when I was assigned Lawrence Durrel's Alexandria Quartet to read. Durrell made a reference to the tarot that struck me in one of the novels. I bought a deck for $5.00, and was fascinated to see that he had borrowed aspects of the structure of the tarot for his books. So I chose to write my final paper about that. I received an A, which nudged me into a life-long romance with tarot cards. I have been reading for 51 years. I rely heavily on Jungian ideas in both the style and substance in my readings. I was saddened when Aeclectic Tarot stopped the forum and am thrilled to have encountered this site. In these times of social distancing, I am focusing on learning more about tarot. I am also thinking about perhaps working on designing a tarot deck. I look forward to meeting you.
Kay
AnaT
Seeker

Post by AnaT »

Hi everyone!
Just joined this lovely forum, wish I found it sooner.

My name is Ana Tourian, I'm a deck creator and tarot enthusiast!
I've been reading cards for a very long time. Started off with playing cards and then fell in love with Tarot. I'd say I've been reading cards for 30 years and Tarot for 20.
My first deck was The Mythic Tarot. I loved that deck so much and still to this day think it's one of the best out there. Druidcraft is another favorite.
Thanks for having me!

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”