This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Diana
Sage

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

Post by Diana »

I just want to add that I understand about the energy thing. As long as it's not superstition that is driving one to do this. And it used to be the case a LOT that people were doing this kind of thing out of superstition. But I have noticed that there's a lot less of this - it's almost imperceptible now.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

Joan Marie wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 08:56 IMoodyCrab, I know you haven't asked for any recommendations, but if I may make one (because it sounds like you are interested in connecting to your Thoth deck) you might want to try out Lon Milo DuQuette's book, "Understanding Aleistar Crowley's Thoth Tarot."
I am ALWAYS open to recommendations... will check out the link as well as the book. Thank you for your kind recommendation.

Diana wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 07:52 He was a keen user of heroin but also cocaine and a host of other things.
that actually makes a lot of sense. Or more like, explains a lot.
tyshadragon
Seeker

Post by tyshadragon »

Greetings all, I'm Tysha :D

My tarot story all started due to my obsession with everything dragon. After leaving school in 1997, I collected every dragon-related tarot and oracle deck I could get my paws on, but to be honest, I mostly pulled them out to admire the artwork on them, and occasionally used them in spellwork or rituals.

This all changed in January last year, when I decided to finally forge a deeper connection with my cards. I started posting my card draws on Instagram, discovered a large community of tarot readers and collectors over there, joined an Amino community and ended up exposed to even more decks. Now I have over 150 decks in my hoard, with even more on the way thanks to Kickstarter. I tend to gravitate towards decks themed around witchcraft, magic and Wicca, although I do have Pokémon and Star Wars decks in my collection too.

I only read cards for myself, I like to use them for personal insight, spellwork and meditation. I really enjoy taking part in the various challenges on Instagram and keeping a tarot journal. At the moment I'm working on the Tarot for Growth Challenge using The Green witch Tarot :)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tyshadragon wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 20:06 Greetings all, I'm Tysha :D
Hi Tysha! Welcome! So glad you have joined us. 🐉
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
tyshadragon
Seeker

Post by tyshadragon »

Joan Marie wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 20:12 Hi Tysha! Welcome! So glad you have joined us. 🐉
Thank you ^_^ I've been meaning to sign up ever since my copy of the Button Soup Tarot deck arrived, but I finally got around to doing so :D
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Thank you for such an abundant introduction. Best of luck as you start this journey.
I believe in Crystal Light.
TheQueenOfPentacles
Seeker

Post by TheQueenOfPentacles »

Hello everyone! I am new on here and trying to learn how this works:)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

TheQueenOfPentacles wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 14:06 Hello everyone! I am new on here and trying to learn how this works:)
Welcome! Your username is my favourite card.
Have a look around and jump in when you are ready.

If you have any questions, just pm me.
Joan Marie
SummerRose
Seeker

Post by SummerRose »

Hello! My name is Sunmer and I’m 28 years old.

First I’d like to share my first memory of Tarot cards in general. I couldn’t have been any than 4. I know this because I wasn’t old enough to start (Pre-K/Kindergarten) school yet, I watched Barney after my brother (who is 2 years older) left for school with me dad.
So I was in my mother’s room, crawling around on the floor looking under her bed. That’s when I found them. They weren’t in a bag or wrapped in a silk scarf or anything; just kind of scattered around. I collected each card one by one examining them as went. I clearly remember the death card. It was a Rider and Waite deck, so the image is quite creepy. But I don’t remember if I was afraid or not I just remember being halfway under the bed just really mesmerized by them, until my mom found me, when she saw what I was doing she told me to get out from under her bed and not to touch her things. I asked if I could take the cards
out and play with them. Just by her response I knew there was a reason why the deck was hidden under the bed.
I later found out that the cards told her her marriage would end soon. It did about 2 years after I found the cards. My grandmother always had a deck of Tarot cards, along with all the woman in my family.
Years later I got my first Tarot deck given to me from my mother when I turned 12. I have been reading myself, family and friends for over 15 years. I feel like everybody has that moment in life, where things are awakening inside of your being. You’re thirsty for knowledge, and you finally understand and SEE. I believe that I “woke up” when I was 21, it just so happened to be 2012. I found this passion that made me so intrigued and for once I connected to something bigger than myself. I love helping others any way I can, and I know spirit is using me as a way to share their messages to people.

I’m not saying I’m any kind of expert just expressing the way i feel. On that note I would love to expand my experience and knowledge by being a part of this amazing community! Who knew! I remember when there was only a handful of tarot sites lol. I think we can all help each other in one way or another. If anyone would like to work as my tarot pal lol reading each other being honest giving advice etc!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

SummerRose wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 04:03I found this passion that made me so intrigued and for once I connected to something bigger than myself. I love helping others any way I can, and I know spirit is using me as a way to share their messages to people.

I’m not saying I’m any kind of expert just expressing the way i feel. On that note I would love to expand my experience and knowledge by being a part of this amazing community! Who knew! I remember when there was only a handful of tarot sites lol. I think we can all help each other in one way or another. If anyone would like to work as my tarot pal lol reading each other being honest giving advice etc!
Welcome SummerRose! Like your pretty name, you are a wonderful breath of fresh air.
Thank you for joining us. Thanks for sharing your story. I can hardly think of a better way to intrigue someone into getting into tarot than by hiding the cards under a bed and telling you not to touch them! :lol:

There is section here called, Reading Together: Groups, Circles, Exchanges, Games and More I hope you find some things there that interest you to practice and exchange reading skills.

I'd hide that section under the bed if I could!

Enjoy!
DarkWing
Seer

Post by DarkWing »

New Member Alert

My name is Dan. I got my first deck back in '72.

Thoth or TdM, some Lenny.

8-)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

DarkWing wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:42 New Member Alert

R

8-)
Some days one wakes up to a glorious sunrise. Welcome Dan. Good to see you.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Wonderful to see you here, Dan!
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

DarkWing wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:42
Exactly 20 years before I got mine :)

8-)
Mine was Thoth ;)

Welcome to you, this is a nice place to play and chat about all things Tarot and beyond!
Hope to see you around the forum.
I feel I could, no sorry we all could learn a thing or ten from you ;)

Aeon
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Love is the law, love under will.

The nature of Will is Love, and it is brought to fruition through Love.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

8-)
It's nice to get another Lenormand reader around here. We also do a TdM circle every month and have more than few interested TdM practitioners here. I hope you enjoy it.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I was wondering what that siren was for. 🚨

Welcome DarkWing! Wonderful to have you here. So glad you've found us.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance.

-Joan Marie
A-M
Seer

Post by A-M »

Hi everybody, :-) I am a 'pilgrim' from The Netherlands. The past year I have been writing articles for a Dutch spiritual magazine on the symbolism used in the tarot. Now I am in the process of translating what I have written so far - up to card number 10 - to English. I am not completely done, but I am SO eager to hear what other tarot enthusiasts think of my take on the symbolism, I am sharing with you what is on my personal website so far.
https://www.anne-marie.eu/en/
When you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find the tarot section with buttons to click to individual cards. I hope to hear from you!
(please be kind) ;-)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

A-M wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:33 Hi everybody, :-) I am a 'pilgrim' from The Netherlands. The past year I have been writing articles for a Dutch spiritual magazine on the symbolism used in the tarot. Now I am in the process of translating what I have written so far - up to card number 10 - to English. I am not completely done, but I am SO eager to hear what other tarot enthusiasts think of my take on the symbolism, I am sharing with you what is on my personal website so far.
https://www.anne-marie.eu/en/
When you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find the tarot section with buttons to click to individual cards. I hope to hear from you!
(please be kind) ;-)
Hello and welcome!
I just had a quick look and wow. Your site and your work look amazing. So many beautiful images from so many decks and so much great information.
I am looking forward to taking some time with it.

I would recommend that you post about this in the section called "Websites and other resources".
That way, people could comment directly on it rather than in this introduction thread.

Beautiful work, thank you so much for sharing it and for joining us here. We have lots of discussion here about symbolism. I know you'll have a lot to offer and it will be a great chance to promote your website.
A-M
Seer

Post by A-M »

Hi Joan, thank you for your warm welcome and your positive words about my website! :-)
I have visited your website and we have another love in common: rabbits! :-)
I have four of them at the moment. Wonderful to read the background story of your bunny: that he has landed in rabbit's paradise with you. :-)
I will post on the section you recommend, thank you for this advise.
If you have any comments, or spot translation errors in my writings, please let me know!
Thanks again for the warm welcome! <3 :-)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

A-M wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:54 I have visited your website and we have another love in common: rabbits! :-)
I have four of them at the moment. Wonderful to read the background story of your bunny: that he has landed in rabbit's paradise with you. :-)
FOUR!! That's crazy! it must be so much fun. 🐇🐇🐇🐇
Raven
Seer

Post by Raven »

I started collecting Tarot and Oracle decks over thirty-five years ago. My first deck was literally thrust into my hands by a stranger and it was a French deck: that of Etteila, I believe. All the person said to me was, "This is an important part of your journey. Learn about the esoteric, its language and its symbolism."

I had no idea what this was all about, but although I didn't really connect with the images of the deck (I blame my own ignorance at the time), I was intrigued and started researching this thing called tarot. I have always been attracted to the esoteric and believed that there is so much more than what we see and know. I also meditate, follow Buddhist teachings, am a Shivaite and close to the Advaita Vedanta tradition of non-dualism. So, I fell in love with the decks I saw and began acquiring them. There are many that really don't speak to me or appeal to me, but I respect them all and honour those who created them. I still consider the ones that speak to me and that I acquire little art galleries that I love to peruse and in which I lose myself. They are, now, much more than that, of course. So, I bought some books and started learning about our archetypal journey. Books became a stepping stone for my own intuition and are still the gateway to my own intuitive exchange with the cards that speak to me most forcefully at times. I don't choose them; they choose themselves and become living entities whenever I read with them. I love using different decks and really enjoy seeing how their individual authors interpret the meaning of each card. Their take seems to heighten my own. What I have learnt over the three decades is that the cards never lie.

The cards that connect with me are Rider Waite clones, even if very tangentially (one of my favourite decks is the Voyager deck). I have all kinds of tarot decks, from The Green Witch Tarot that I really like to The Sacred India tarot that I only use for myself and I am always looking to collect more. Very important to me are the accompanying books to the decks and some of them are amazing.

I tried reading with the Thoth approach like the original Thoth deck (which I own) or the Tabula Mundi (coloured version I also own), but I began having disturbing dreams when I used the Tabula Mundi telling me to stay away. I am saddened by this because I can see it is an extraordinary deck that must yield great riches. Perhaps I was not ready for it the last time I tried reading with it and hope to be able to return to the Thoth "system" some day.

So, that is how I got started. I do have Lenormand and Kipper, but I still have to spend a lot more time with them and learn their language.

Oracles came later, but I love them, too. Those with substance, of course, like my newly acquired The Wild Unknown Archetypes. My oracle decks are an inspiration to me on a daily basis and I love to use them with my tarot readings.

I've recently discovered that my "gift" only works for free. I tried reading for remuneration, but there was silence when, usually, I am bombarded by my cards, no matter what deck I use from my collection. That was a very interesting discovery. One that I really didn't anticipate. I have nothing against anyone receiving payment for a reading, but I do believe that I am destined to read for others as a service to my brothers and sisters in the world. I love to do reading exchanges with feedback.

I do have favourite decks. I really do. The first thing I would like to say is that I adore decks with big or even oversized cards. Among my favourites is the Art of Life tarot. Why? Because it speaks so easily to me. It is the only deck I know where each card is accompanied by a quote and I find that absolutely enchanting, not to speak of the fact that each card really does have a piece of artwork depicted on it; artwork that is in keeping, as is the quote, with the meaning of the card. That is so wonderful to me. As an amateur Egyptologist, I also love my Journey into Egypt tarot. The Druidcraft Tarot also remains one of my favourite decks because, again, it is so eloquent. The same can be said for both The Green Witch Tarot and the Hidden Realm one. Of course, The Sacred India tarot is a very special deck to me and a real guide, as is my Osho Zen. They are spiritual decks in keeping with my own spirituality. I find myself turning to the Lightseer's Tarot because it is my only "contemporary" deck. Its affirmations and simple but relevant, modern and profound and its messages resonate with me and help me. One deck I would love to have is the Earthstone and Boneflesh tarot, but it looks as though that might be very difficult to acquire.

Among my oracle decks, I am most connected with the Wild Kuan Yin oracle, followed by the Whispers of Lord Ganesha. I love the messages of both, but the Wild Kuan Yin always tells me exactly what I need to hear when I turn to it for guidance. Of course, I must mention the Earthly Souls and Spirits oracle that is stunningly beautiful. It is so difficult for me to say which of all my decks (and those I don't yet have) is my favourite because I love them all. Each one has its own place in my life. Whenever I read for other people, a particular deck steps forward, and, invariably, it is always the right one that presents itself to address the concerns of that particular reading.

I suppose like so many, I am in search of the "one", although I do not really believe that there is a "one".

I am, undoubtedly, a collector at heart, but I am very interested in developing all my reading abilities, particularly those related to intuitive reading. Also, very interested in reading groups and exchanges.

So, I am very grateful to be a part of this community and to have you as travelling companions. Thank you.
"Forgive those who don't know how to love you. They are teaching you how to love yourself."

"Ah, kindness, what a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Welcome to the forum, Raven. I love hearing of people's journeys to the tarot, which so often seems to find them rather than the other way around. The stranger who thrust that first deck into your hands - I expect you've wondered and woven stories around them over the years - perhaps even dreamed of them - I know I would have. :)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Unusual_tarot
Seeker

Post by Unusual_tarot »

I wanted to share a bit of my story with you guys, and how I found tarot in my darkest days. About 4 years ago my exhusband tried to murder me. Afterwards I lost my kids to the state.. I ended up homeless, in a state where I had no friends and no family. Nothing but the clothes on my back. While trying to figure out what my plan was I met someone named cierra who introduced me to tarot for the first time. Not only did the cards accurately portray what had recently happened, but they also inspired me and helped me decide my next steps. This deck may not be traditional, but it holds a special place for me. because even when I thought I was alone the universe was there to tell me this too shall pass..
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Unusual_tarot wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 23:14 I wanted to share a bit of my story with you guys, and how I found tarot in my darkest days.
Hi, thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so glad you were able to survive all of that. And what a testament to how we use the Tarot in our lives to look within ourselves and to find answers and gain understanding.

Welcome, and I'm so glad you have found us.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Welcome, Unusual_tarot. I'm glad you survived, I do hope life is good for you now.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”