This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

French Newbie :-)

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Kalee
Seeker

French Newbie :-)

Post by Kalee »

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for having me. I started with Tarot when I was around 15 but got serious with it only 5 months ago. I use a Rider Waite deck and read exclusively for myself. I really don't get much chances to share my love for the cards and it can feel really lonely and boring at times. I am so ready to take things to the next level and meet, connect and share with the wide tarot community :)
I can't wait to dive deeper with you all. Lots of light and positive energy from France !
Papageno
Sage

Re: French Newbie :-)

Post by Papageno »

Welcome to the forum.

So, you are French and read with the Rider-Waite and not Tarot de Marseille.
Do you attribute this to a difference of your particular generation or simply a matter of preference?

Actually it is not important, it is always better to keep an open mind and take a very broad and democratic approach.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Hi Kalee! Welcome to Cult of Tarot!
Thanks for joining us. It's great to have you with us here.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Welcome, Kalee! :D
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi Kalee, welcome to the forum!
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Kalee
Seeker

Post by Kalee »

Thank you so much for welcoming me!

Actually my very first deck was a Marseille one, gifted by my mom and even if I liked it, I quickly lost interest for it. Then, along my spiritual journey, I discovered that there were in fact different types of tarot cards and got drawn to the Rider Waite Smith. Immediatly, I fell in love with it! And the more I learn and spend time with it, the more fascinated I am :D

How about you? What type of tarot do you read ? Also, I like what you wrote about being open minded.

Again, thank you for welcoming me among you! :)
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Kalee wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 21:18 Thank you so much for welcoming me!
What type of tarot do you read ?
I like what you wrote about being open minded.

Again, thank you for welcoming me among you! :)
Like many people, I learned with the Rider-Waite but very recently I have broadened my horizons and embraced a whole new generation of Tarot decks that are hybrids of several systems, such as RWS/Thoth, etc.

However, I have recently become particularly fond of the Marseille style (non-scenic pips) decks, but especially the old historical Marseille decks.
To my mind, the old historical decks are the forbearers in the long bloodline of the Tarot and other cartomancy traditions we now know and practice.

I like the fact that they are devoid of the influences of the early 20th century occultists and I enjoy their qualities as a mirror of neoclassical thought and traditions. The artwork reveals subtleties of thought and the manufacture of the cards promote the linguistics, policies, and politics of their time.

It is wonderful to instantly recognize the genius of using a device such as IIX for Le Pendu, instead of XII, which is just as much fun as sleuthing the exact origins or maker of a deck of cards.
We can ponder why the card maker's name has been erased on the 2/Denier while there are initials on Le Charior that differ from a name that (inconsistently) appears on La Force.
We can read arguments about whether the Visconti Brambilla Tarot can be attributed to Bonifacio Bembo or a member of the Zavattari family of artisans. Are modern publishers too lazy and simply attribute everything to Bembo simply out of convenience or simply to be en vogue?
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Raven
Seer

Post by Raven »

Welcome, Kalee. Je te souhaite la bienvenue. I've just arrived here myself and it is a wonderful place. :)
"Forgive those who don't know how to love you. They are teaching you how to love yourself."

"Ah, kindness, what a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet
Raven
Seer

Post by Raven »

Papageno wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 03:05

However, I have recently become particularly fond of the Marseille style (non-scenic pips) decks, but especially the old historical Marseille decks.
To my mind, the old historical decks are the forbearers in the long bloodline of the Tarot and other cartomancy traditions we now know and practice.

I like the fact that they are devoid of the influences of the early 20th century occultists and I enjoy their qualities as a mirror of neoclassical thought and traditions. The artwork reveals subtleties of thought and the manufacture of the cards promote the linguistics, policies, and politics of their time. ...

I own one Tarot de Marseilles deck. I have always admired people who can read the pip cards. It is not that I haven't tried. Unfortunately, they are completely silent to me whereas other image based decks clamour for my attention with their very loud and and insistent messages. They are so voluble, that I have to tell them to be quiet. This just looking at the images as they appear on the cards. I find this to be an interesting phenomenon.

It saddens me because the Otherworld Pagan deck (I own that creator's oracle deck which is amazing, especially in light of the fact that it's an archetypal deck) is beautiful and I would love to own it.

The historical decks are very interesting because they are the manifestations of the interesting and rich history of the tarot, but again they speak less to me than some of the more modern ones. That is what is so fascinating about the tarot, oracle cards and the esoteric in general: their diversity, their many branches and each individual's experience with them.
"Forgive those who don't know how to love you. They are teaching you how to love yourself."

"Ah, kindness, what a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”