This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Introducing myself! Hi everyone!

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
archimedes
Sage

Introducing myself! Hi everyone!

Post by archimedes »

Hello all,

I'm returning to Tarot after a long break... I'd returned to Aeclectic after a hiatus, just before it closed, and never really clicked into the other forum I'd tried - I can't actually find it again, and another forum recommended this one, so I thought I'd come and join you all. It looks like a friendly place. I've so missed the old community.

I'm a bit of a skeptic by nature but see Tarot as a way to open up the imagination and create narratives of meaning.

My favorite deck is the Spiral Tarot. It was one of my first, and I love the painterly images, very much in the RWS tradition but beautiful. I'm also very keen on historical study and love the old TdMs.

What does my deck think about joining Cult of Tarot? I drew Temperance. This might be just what I needed to feel like I have my old self back. Bringing some balance back into my life, and being accepting of my less rational, more intuitive side. Following the right path.

have a beautiful day!

Archimedea.
(you might remember me from AT as someone with the name of a Greek playwright).
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Junipera
Seer

Re: Introducing myself! Hi everyone!

Post by Junipera »

Welcome!

It is nice here.

I am not sure I use my tarot "right" but it is "right" for me.

Tarot is less passive than TV and books, but requires less creativity than arts and crafts.

Tarot is one of those middle level hobbies. It fills a self-soothing niche even for the most skeptic.
Currently using The Enchanted Tarot 25th Anniversary Edition.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Welcome :) I was on Aeclectic on and off since around 2014, under a different name. If you'd like, check out the community deck we're making (and join in if you feel so inspired) continuing in Aeclectic's tradition haha.
See ya around!
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Thanks Astral Pasta - I did contribute to a couple of decks on AT. I won't dive in just yet - life is a little frantic around here ... but maybe. I'll see.

Juniper, yes, there's no one right way, which I love.

I'm pretty much take the 'you do what works for you' view so long as I can avoid the 'how does he feel about me' threads (especially when asked by the same person about the same person 50 times lol)
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

archimedes wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 01:41 What does my deck think about joining Cult of Tarot? I drew Temperance. This might be just what I needed to feel like I have my old self back. Bringing some balance back into my life, and being accepting of my less rational, more intuitive side. Following the right path.
Wonderful! So glad you have found us archimedes. It's great to have you here. Welcome!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Thanks for joining us archimedes. There's a comfortable armchair that's been waiting for you !!

I also had a long long hiatus (many years). And since returning a few months ago to the Tarot, I've read numerous posts by people who say they are returning to the Tarot after a long break. Maybe it's part of a cycle. The old ones are returning to the flock and the new ones lead us on new paths.

The world of Tarot has changed an awful lot since I left. I am sometimes quite amazed at the evolution.

Look forward to your contributions.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Thanks Joan Marie and Marigold. Yes haven't things changed! Youtube seems to have taken off - I guess the combination of affordable recording via mobile phones, and the promise of monetizing a channel - but I had a lovely evening watching reviews of decks while I sorted mine out. I think I'll always be a bit sad about our old community dissolving. It's the way of the web, I think - everything is that much more transient. But a few comments I've read suggest that it's not necessarily a bad thing to change and evolve. It's a good way to shed the stuff that wasn't working and get a new lease of life.

*pulls up a chair and settles in*

cookies, anyone? Vegan choc chip, baked 'em myself...
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

archimedes wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 03:05 Thanks Joan Marie and Marigold. Yes haven't things changed! Youtube seems to have taken off - I guess the combination of affordable recording via mobile phones, and the promise of monetizing a channel - but I had a lovely evening watching reviews of decks while I sorted mine out. I think I'll always be a bit sad about our old community dissolving. It's the way of the web, I think - everything is that much more transient. But a few comments I've read suggest that it's not necessarily a bad thing to change and evolve. It's a good way to shed the stuff that wasn't working and get a new lease of life.

*pulls up a chair and settles in*

cookies, anyone? Vegan choc chip, baked 'em myself...
Also the world of Tarot decks has been transformed. All those indie decks being self-published. There were not so many before. Technology has aided greatly this surge of creativity. And the world of the Tarot of Marseilles in the English speaking world is like night and day. Suddenly the TdM is popular. When I left the Tarot for my hiatus, the TdM had not taken hold. My heart sang when I realised this!

Vegan choc chips will do nicely. I'm having my morning coffee right now. You may be interested in a thread that chiscotheque started called "Plato's Cave" where the idea is for people to ask the Tarot about ethical/philosophical/existential questions. (I hope the thread will take off, it's really a great idea.) My reading that I did was on antispecicism which often but not always goes hand in hand with veganism. You may like to take a look. I had to be as objective as possible - it's not my personal opinion in the reading - if it had been, I would have been yelling a huge "YES!!!" - although I am no longer vegan. I was for ten years - and was a hugely militant animal rights activist. But I reckon it's also a hiatus. I'll come to my senses again.

The thread is here : viewtopic.php?f=199&t=1769
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”