This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

TdM Three of Cups

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Diana
Sage

TdM Three of Cups

Post by Diana »

Where is the "positive" in this card ? Where are its redeeming features ?

I'm taking the evening and night to work on the suit of cups for my Reversed Tarot of Marseilles (in my CoT blog).

I'm working from the principle that each Tarot card has, at either of its extremes, a meaning that represents on the one hand the finest that one can find in the human condition, even as far perhaps as bliss, and on the other hand, the darkest, most somber and oppressive. The two of course, have to correspond, i.e. they're the opposite.

For two hours now, I've been observing the Three of Cups. I'm using for my "deck" the Grimaud TdM.

3 Coupes grimaud.jpg

I see nothing positive in this card. Reversed plenty - they keep on jumping out at me like skeleton jack-in-the-boxes (it's Halloween, maybe that's why). Even bonk me on the head sometimes. Ouch !! See, it just happened again.

I see for instance hierarchy, domination, class distinction, oppression, authoritarianism, exploitation, all sorts of things like that. But nothing positive. And when I say nothing, I really mean Nothing. I've really tried.

I remind you I'm talking of extremes here.

Would anyone have anything to say about this 3 of Cups ? Doesn't have to be as extreme as mine. General discussion even would be good.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Re: TdM Three of Cups

Post by Diana »

Was really hoping to get some kind of response and input re my question above. Although I know you don't always get what you want - the Rolling Stones made that clear to everyone years ago. I'm still struggling and may have leave this card as a blank til I get the revelation I'm looking for. I didn't encounter this issue with any of the other cards and I've only got the Courts left to do. Some definitions, meanings, interpretations, have been more difficult to pinpoint, as I'm only looking for ONE word which means I need to be as precise as is possible, but I always knew which direction I was heading.

All I can see is one big cup towering over the other two. I see the two cups as inferior to the top one with no protection and no nourishment. They stand there a bit forlorn, as if they were now dispensable objects - mere decorations - token cups in some way. The top cup and the two bottom ones seem to be separated - the top one having received the crown and glory. I get the impression that the bottom cups are empty although I admit there is no clear indication, so this may just be my impression. But it's very strong. Each time I find something positive, the positiveness pales in comparison with the negative meanings. They just don't seem to have the same strength. And that's not right. There has to be a balance in their strength or else they're not reversed meanings.

Just as a side note, the suit of cups in its reversed aspect is the gloomiest of the four suits. I thought it would be the swords, or maybe the batons. It's the first time during the process that I started getting a bit depressed and I couldn't work on them for too long without a break.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

It's ok. I've found it at last. And at last the two correspond. Reversed meaning will be slavery or something similar as I've finally seen in the 3 of Cups the notion of self-determination and autonomy (the upright meanings are however not featured in my reversed TdM. I'm not even memorising or listing what they are. But they're vital in the initial process.)

So all good. Thank you.

This "deck" is hugely depressing (-lol-). I listen to reggae all the time doing it to keep my spirits up. Like the wonderful Prince I Far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBN2DrZVfE
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

The first thing I see is Le Pape and his unholy double Le Diable. Those are absolutely cards of hierarchy and submission to a more powerful dominant. The adherents clawing at the Pope’s robes and the bound figures of the Devil are subjugated.

But the adherents are also devotional. The figures in the Devil’s sway are enjoying themselves. There’s a devotional aspect to those cards, and an abandon of convention and limitation.

The three of cups contains these aspects. The upper cup has the two lower cups in its thrall, and the lower cups shower the upper cup with devotion and sensual initiation. The foliage culminates in buds lightly kissing the sides of the upper cup. The upper cup is seemingly dominant but is contained, sustained, and held up by the foliage coming from the lower two cups. It’s a symbiotic relationship, albeit not entirely healthy, as the Pope and the Devil cards are two not entirely healthy scenes.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
A-M
Seer

Post by A-M »

What I see is a kundalini awakening. :-)

The three cups representing the three energy channels involved in the kundalini process.
The cup in the middle (the kundalini) is the holy grail that is lifted to the head.
Tummo-Yogi.jpg
Cups02.jpg
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

A-M wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 10:46 What I see is a kundalini awakening. :-)

Do you extend your kundalini research and the TdM even as concerns the minors??? Or is this more just a happy coincidence.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Merrick wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 05:41 The first thing I see is Le Pape and his unholy double Le Diable. Those are absolutely cards of hierarchy and submission to a more powerful dominant. The adherents clawing at the Pope’s robes and the bound figures of the Devil are subjugated.

But the adherents are also devotional. The figures in the Devil’s sway are enjoying themselves. There’s a devotional aspect to those cards, and an abandon of convention and limitation.

The three of cups contains these aspects. The upper cup has the two lower cups in its thrall, and the lower cups shower the upper cup with devotion and sensual initiation. The foliage culminates in buds lightly kissing the sides of the upper cup. The upper cup is seemingly dominant but is contained, sustained, and held up by the foliage coming from the lower two cups. It’s a symbiotic relationship, albeit not entirely healthy, as the Pope and the Devil cards are two not entirely healthy scenes.
Great post Merrick. I could have just pressed the Thank You button (which I did), but wanted to give a personal thanks too.

I've always been fascinated by the pairing between Le Pape and Le Diable. Although I'm not in full agreement that the unholy double of Le Pape is Le Diable. Am not sure he's as unholy as one thinks. We could discuss this once in a dedicated thread if we have time. There is a thread already somewhere that an ex-member Belenus started on the pairing of these two cards. Belenus and I both believe strongly that all the Major Arcana have pairs (decimal pairs).
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I see lifting up, support, a strong and loving foundation giving rise to greatness.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
A-M
Seer

Post by A-M »

Do you extend your kundalini research and the TdM even as concerns the minors??? Or is this more just a happy coincidence.
I haven't researched the minors yet... my reply was an unresearched response to your question what other forum members were seeing in the card. It could be the result of (kundalini) tunnel vision. :ugeek:
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I found it delightful in any case.
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Diana wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 15:25 I've always been fascinated by the pairing between Le Pape and Le Diable. Although I'm not in full agreement that the unholy double of Le Pape is Le Diable. Am not sure he's as unholy as one thinks. We could discuss this once in a dedicated thread if we have time. There is a thread already somewhere that an ex-member Belenus started on the pairing of these two cards. Belenus and I both believe strongly that all the Major Arcana have pairs (decimal pairs).
I probably should have put “unholy” in quotes, as I was being playful. Certainly from the Pope’s perspective the Devil is unholy, but the Pope also can’t see how they’re two sides of the same coin (or card).
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

ImageImage I see a fountain. Fountains are good.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Return to “Learning Your Craft”