This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot vs Lenormand & TdM

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Myperception
Sage

Tarot vs Lenormand & TdM

Post by Myperception »

I am years in tarot, but now am looking for learning lenormand, may i know what is the different in between tarot and lenormand?

I am in plan to have a lenormand and TdM. What can i expect in between this 2 decks compare to tarot?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Tarot vs Lenormand & TdM

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, the Tarot de Marseille is a stye of tarot deck. It will have all the same cards as you "normal" deck would. There's no reason you have to read it any differently but most people have a different, Marseille-oriented style of reading. If you want to get started with that style, Ben-Dov's "Marseille Tarot Revealed" and Caitlin Matthews "Untold Tarot" are the best places to start, unless you read fluent french. Also, if you do want to start reading Marseille as it's own style, I strongly recommend that you start reading with only the majors.

Lenormand is a whole different deck with different cards, meanings, etc. My best advice is to NOT try and learn lenormand card meanings from the internet. The reason is complicated to explain in full, but, basically, there are different sets of meanings and you need to pick on and stick with one. Not to mention, that some of the internet meaning sets are garbage no matter what school of thought you subscribe to. To most people, I would recommend the books by Andy Boroveshengra and Bjorn Meuris. Knowing you a little bit, I think you might do better with either Rana George or Toni Puhle. Also, as a beginning Lenormand reader, it's important to get a deck that's very "clear" in it's iconography. The pretty, arty decks inspired by modern tarot design are usually difficult to read. Large layouts become too cluttered. Classic lenormand patterns give you the indications you need to remember parts of the meanings. The Rider, for example, has both "a man" and "feet" among its secondary meanings. A traditional card shows you a dandily dressed man riding a horse that is shown in full. Showing the horse in full puts all the hoofs in the picture, reminding you of feet. Many modern decks feature nonsense like a rider card with a girl child in a toy car. Stay away from those before you know what you're doing.

Here are some lenormand decks I approve of. If you absolutely must have a modern design lenormand, then get the Rana George. Under no circumstances should you get a deck called Pixie's Astounding Lenormand. It looks traditional but it isn't, I think it has the potential to really mess up a beginning reader.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Lenorman ... 315&sr=1-4
https://www.bookdepository.com/Lenorman ... 492&sr=1-6
https://www.bookdepository.com/Lenorman ... 28&sr=1-13

For TdM, most of the choices are good ones. I don't know what's easily available where you are. In the US, the "Conver Ben-Dov" is easy to come by and is good. If you want to splurge Yves de Marseille makes incredible decks. For a newbie, I recommend the Conver, Madenie, or Burdel: https://www.tarot-de-marseille-heritage ... index.html
I believe in Crystal Light.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

I have nothing to say about Lenormand. But I have some insights into TdM.

I agree with the quality of the resources CB offered. Be aware that the Ben-Dov book was previously referred to as “The Open Reading.’ It was republished and renamed by Llewellyn. Ben-Dov had a warm and generous spirit which remains present in his writing. I bought Caitlin’sbook before it was supposed to be released and she is an expert bar none on many subjects. But with this said, there are some other resources that I feel are awesome.

If you would like a workbook style guide through the TdM, you might try “Tarot on Earth” by Tom Benjamin. He helps you to develop your own understanding using your own research. The tradition becomes yours. You come up with your own definitions.

If you wants to be completely liberated from RWS pip meanings, and liberated in many other ways, you need the work of Enrique Enriquez. He looks at what is there...the end. He offers a wonderful email pips course (among others) and I would gladly share how to contact him. Many of the things he writes remind me of sayings that Zen Masters would give their students to confound them and stretch their minds. I like to categorize and organize. His work did not allow me to do that. It has forced me to redevelop the elastic mind I had in youth....which is something I wanted...so win win.

Reading the Marseilles Tarot by Jean-Michel David is available at Lulu.com.the electronic version has color and is priced well. The printed version is pricy but worth it. He offers many historical facts and practical exercises.

And finally, for now, I would recommend “Seeing the World:Tarot Signposts on the Path to Perception” by Jean-Claude Flornoy. It is one of my favorite TdM books...ever. Should you decide to learn TdM, we would welcome you warmly in the Reading Circle. 😀
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Myperception
Sage

Post by Myperception »

Hi Charlie, appreciate you share such recommendations with me. For Lenormand, i was eyeing on Blue Owl as it's more easy for my eyes to pick up from the cards base on online picture. More simple for me as a beginner.

But i never expect Rana George Lenormand was so attractive in my eyes ! It's so beautiful and the card picture says alot to me. It grab my interest instantly. I am amaze that you can know i certainly will prefer this deck. You are SO RIGHT ! I just wonder how can you know it so well. My decision is going for Rana George.

TdM i am also reading CBD interpretations and info. Major arcana for me still can pick up abit, but the minor arcanas i am confused. I am finding ways to read it.
Myperception
Sage

Post by Myperception »

Hi Breathingsince72, thank you for your detail TdM suggestions. I will try Tarot on Earth, to have some better understanding before i try the cards.

I am unable to understand the minor arcana as of now. Need a guidance from book, see can i pick up along the way or not. Once i start to practise, or the deck reach me, i will have many questions in TdM circle :D
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

I totally agree with what Charlie said, and I'd only like to add that the best Lenormand decks are bridge- or poker-sized, no larger. Mini decks are also available, and very convenient! The reason for small cards is that the quintessential Lenormand spread is the Grand Tableau, using the whole deck (though you can also use smaller spreads). So using oversized cards might necessitate doing readings on the floor!
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs

Return to “Learning Your Craft”