This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Wheel of the Year / Almanac type book suggestions?

Discussions and reviews of Tarot & related topics in modern culture.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: Books about Tarot de Marseilles are discussed in the TdM forum HERE
archimedes
Sage

Wheel of the Year / Almanac type book suggestions?

Post by archimedes »

I've often wanted to use one an almanac or similar to follow the seasons - especially if I can get one that is for the southern hemisphere - that notes all the various important days of the year and sky and even the old Saint's days. I'm looking for something with a really traditional basis though, rather than something too modern or personal to its author. I know a lot of this is available online, and I do have a lot of resources, but you can't beat a paper book for daily study, I think.

Do you have any suggestions?
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Junipera
Seer

Re: Wheel of the Year / Almanac type book suggestions?

Post by Junipera »

You and I seem on the same path right now. I am in the north, so most of what I am finding usually won't help much.

Coloring book of shadows is not traditional, but I am finding some of the pages useful for dividers in my binder of random stuff quickly printed out from the internet. It gives me a quick place to file things to take a better look at later. There are southern pages. I put the coloring pages in plastic sheet protectors so they stand out from what I just hole punch and file.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/713714803/ ... =related-5

I am finding this book helpful, because although northern, my neighborhood is a microclimate that does not match the surrounding area, never mind the north in general. I need to create my own rituals.
Weave the Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft

A couple other books about creating your own rituals are the following:

The Art of Ritual: Creating and Performing Ceremonies for Growth and Change

The Goddess in Every Girl

I am coming into fall and I am tackling soup making. What might be a food group that would be worth studying for spring? Maybe salad dressings? For soup, the Betty Crocker site was most helpful. The number of herbs and spices used is minimal. I really needed to to know what I MUST add, before I figured out what I WANT to add. https://www.bettycrocker.com

I want to clean with more intention, and create a recipe for a natural floor wash. I haven't made any progress with this, yet, and washed the floor with clothes detergent last time. LOL.
Currently using The Enchanted Tarot 25th Anniversary Edition.
Junipera
Seer

Post by Junipera »

Are you trying to line tarot up to the wheel of the year?

I liked this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/664122261/ ... _purchases

and this
https://zodianz.com/tarot-courses/
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

oh thank you, those are lovely suggestions. Weave the Liminal looks exactly the thing. The coloring book is possibly a little illustrative for my style.

I find it hard to settle with the rhythm of the year here. It's always too hot or too cold, and spring and autumn go by too quickly. I find that with my work days having a lot of sameness, the years are blurring into one another. I'm reminded of a scene in Prometheus, where a character says 'what the heck is that!?' at the Christmas tree the captain is decorating. "It's a Christmas tree" he says, "you have to have a holiday so that you know time is passing".

I'm starting to cook more seasonally; I've discovered medieval spices and made mulled wine this winter. We're in drought here, so while I'm happy about spring and feeling warmer, I'm dreading summer. I'm hoping that if I can find my inner green witch, and my green thumb, I can perhaps help to nurture the garden and its denizens through the season.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Here are my suggestions, but both focus on Northern Hemisphere, I'm afraid. Maybe you could reconfigure?

I followed this workbook through the year a few years ago, and liked it very much. For each of the 8 holidays/seasons, it has a group of ideas and practices: myth, element, human development, alchemy stage, chakra, and guides and divination. Very organized but also full of spiritual information.

This one's kind of pricey, but you mentioned saints days and that made me think of it. It's almanac-like for all the dates of the year, and then the second part is a history and explanation of calendars of many times and places.

Good luck in your season quest!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Junipera
Seer

Post by Junipera »

Rachelcat wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 13:05 Here are my suggestions, ...
Ooh, those look so good!
Junipera
Seer

Post by Junipera »

archimedes wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 09:44 oh thank you, those are lovely suggestions. Weave the Liminal looks exactly the thing. The coloring book is possibly a little illustrative for my style.

I find it hard to settle with the rhythm of the year here. It's always too hot or too cold, and spring and autumn go by too quickly. I find that with my work days having a lot of sameness, the years are blurring into one another. I'm reminded of a scene in Prometheus, where a character says 'what the heck is that!?' at the Christmas tree the captain is decorating. "It's a Christmas tree" he says, "you have to have a holiday so that you know time is passing".

I'm starting to cook more seasonally; I've discovered medieval spices and made mulled wine this winter. We're in drought here, so while I'm happy about spring and feeling warmer, I'm dreading summer. I'm hoping that if I can find my inner green witch, and my green thumb, I can perhaps help to nurture the garden and its denizens through the season.
Black grapes were on sale at the store today. They feel so seasonal, and I am so grateful that they were in my price range.

We are very lucky that water is abundant where I am now; as a child, water was severely rationed.

The Christmas before last was bitter cold, and I bundled up like a child and went to the river, and breathed in the burning cold for as long as I could stand it. It made me feel alive. I am trying to feel what there is, whatever it is, and embrace it with excitement. Sometimes I just want to FEEL. It is lovely when we can be cocooned in mildness, but we lose touch when we are robbed of the pain of extremes.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Junipera wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 18:44
The Christmas before last was bitter cold, and I bundled up like a child and went to the river, and breathed in the burning cold for as long as I could stand it. It made me feel alive. I am trying to feel what there is, whatever it is, and embrace it with excitement. Sometimes I just want to FEEL. It is lovely when we can be cocooned in mildness, but we lose touch when we are robbed of the pain of extremes.
I have no suggestions for books to give you, so sorry for intruding.

But you speak with such poignancy. And also of peace and beauty. Your words are poetry - only poetry can truly speak of such things.

You're a warrior. A noble warrior of course, not the other type. I can see that in your heart. Because you showed us your heart with such honesty in your post and also the other posts you've made.

I'll come and sit with you next time at the river if I may. Just so we share some noble sisterly love. No need to talk.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Junipera
Seer

Post by Junipera »

Marigold wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 19:29 I'll come and sit with you next time at the river if I may. Just so we share some noble sisterly love. No need to talk.
Wow! That was so nice! I'd love to sit at the river with you!
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

I just bought 'The Goddess is in the Details' on impulse - I started reading the preview and the author's down-to-earth humour was engaging.
https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/the-go ... yday-witch

Not exactly what I was initially after but seemed a nice start. I've got the preview of Weaving the Liminal loaded up.

Return to “Books, Art & Film”